• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Speedy112

For those considering a purchase away from your trusted AD

It has never been so important to buy the dealer rather than the watch... and get yourself a jewellers loupe...be careful out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These have been appearing in Florida I have heard. A couple of years ago it was Tudor BBs , then the Breitling Superocean II 44 ,  now it seems the Omega Seamaster is in the cross hairs .... Some ADs stateside use a filter to check the AR coating, it checks the watch as genuine instantly against a reference swatch.

I would never buy a "popular" luxury watch model without papers that I could verify if I was not using a B&M or online genuine AD.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I would never buy a "popular" luxury watch model without papers that I could verify if I was not using a B&M or online genuine AD.

Watchfinder sell second hand watches don't they ? So as well as being a warning, it also plays as a backhanded piece of advertising. Is it just my interpretation or was the implications given in that clip that the watches are purchased to deceive, rather than sold to deceive, which I would say is the bigger concern. Someone knowingly purchasing a fake knows exactly what they're getting, whereas someone unwittingly buying a fake as genuine, is getting shafted. Fakes are wrong either way.

• Like 4

The question is are you the fool for buying.  Average Joe Bloggs has no clue. As always the uninformed lay person is the loser here

12 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Watchfinder sell second hand watches don't they ? So as well as being a warning, it also plays as a backhanded piece of advertising. Is it just my interpretation or was the implications given in that clip that the watches are purchased to deceive, rather than sold to deceive, which I would say is the bigger concern. Someone knowingly purchasing a fake knows exactly what they're getting, whereas someone unwittingly buying a fake as genuine, is getting shafted. Fakes are wrong either way.

i'd agree its a bit of an advertising ploy by wf even superclones are rarely as good as that video suggests...dodgy sel's bracelets that dont pivot properly crowns that dont screw down properly, bezels that are less well marked out, poor time keeping, sel's are usually a dead give away the rarely fit that well in the flesh even on one to one clones at 500 quid like a rolex ar factory for example. So wf are bolstering their position yes...though a man in the street may be fooled. So i guess in that sense the wf vid may be good advice to them, but really as you says its back handed advertising. 

on the basis they are less good than made out...it seems 

14 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

The problem here is that so many people now buy from Ebay and places like Chrono24 where in reality you have No idea what you are buying unless it is a trusted well known seller..Whatever your thoughts on Watchfinder and their pricing you will not buy a fake watch from them ..if you buy from a Market stall or back street seller you also know exactly what you are buying... Just be very careful

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

The problem here is that so many people now buy from Ebay and places like Chrono24 where in reality you have No idea what you are buying unless it is a trusted well known seller..Whatever your thoughts on Watchfinder and their pricing you will not buy a fake watch from them ..if you buy from a Market stall or back street seller you also know exactly what you are buying... Just be very careful

very true you only see pictures 

ive bought off wf a grand for s quartz seamaster 120 it was ok if a bit mediocre in condition 

What I find negatively interesting is a friend recently showed me a "UK.com" website which is loaded from front to back with counterfeit sh!te, and to log on you sign in through Facebook. Says a lot about the integrity of some social media companies doesn't it.? and how some are easily led into buying this rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw this video earlier as I subscribe on youtube. It was interesting to see the close up images which really show the differences in quality but at a distance from the front the two looked identical - scary.

Good post - for most people, read me, an AD is the safest risk free option.  

As an aside from the front if it were posted on here would anyone be able to spot it as moody? I wonder how many folks on watch forums post images of watches which knowingly or unknowingly are fakes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

As an aside from the front if it were posted on here would anyone be able to spot it as moody?

even if they could they could not prove it. So its a matter of the BofP being against the person who thinks they might know...and hence many do but keep silent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I saw this video earlier as I subscribe on youtube. It was interesting to see the close up images which really show the differences in quality but at a distance from the front the two looked identical - scary.

As an aside from the front if it were posted on here would anyone be able to spot it as moody? I wonder how many folks on watch forums post images of watches which knowingly or unknowingly are fakes.

Problem is these are not your £50 beach sellers pieces which are what they are.. these are very much on a different level..

There was a recent article in the Watch Magazine Europa Star where an employee from Rolex visited the Zhengzhou region in China where these "superfakes are produced and the article said he was unable to confirm what he was looking at without taking the watch apart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrenny1969 said:

Yep... because as soon as the super fakes pop up, the ADs are usually the first to be briefed and able to filter.....

I reckon about 90% ( probably more ) buyers of "luxury" watches remotely online would be fooled by the super fakes ,,, there are not as many of "us lot" as we may think....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Yep... because as soon as the super fakes pop up, the ADs are usually the first to be briefed and able to filter.....

I reckon about 90% ( probably more ) buyers of "luxury" watches remotely online would be fooled by the super fakes ,,, there are not as many of "us lot" as we may think....

They might be fooled by the advertising which usually has pics of the real thing but the won’t be fooled by what turns up.

Mainly because despite the fact that initially it might look the part but will fall to bits in a week.

Last winter up here the big “thing” was Grey Goose coats, all of a sudden every chav and his scruffy bint were wearing them. You could spot the fakes a mile away.

Fake tan, Primani leggings, Newlook trainers, a supposedly fifteen hundred quid coat that was falling apart at the seams and shopping in Iceland. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

They might be fooled by the advertising which usually has pics of the real thing but the won’t be fooled by what turns up.

We are talking chalk and cheese at times ..... you are a well respected super fake sceptic .... but they are out there. Granted the vast minority but this article is about genuinely convincing counterfeits ....

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Papers mean less than nothing...   I have seen a fake watch with genuine papers, a genuine watch with fake movement... Etc etc

I have seen blank paperwork for sale, just type in your own details... 

The only thing that matters is the watch, certificates and paperwork don't make a fake real. 

If you doubt the seller you need to have the back off. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

but they are out there. Granted the vast minority but this article is about genuinely convincing counterfeits ....

8 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Papers mean less than nothing...   I have seen a fake watch with genuine papers, a genuine watch with fake movement... Etc etc

If you doubt the seller you need to have the back off. 

Agreed, I too have seen them!

Wouldn’t even trust a high street AD now :( as some Atelier workshops have to remove the case back to be sure.

Vintage pieces are similarly being replicated now!!

”BUYER BEWARE”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Last winter up here the big “thing” was Grey Goose coats, all of a sudden every chav and his scruffy bint were wearing them. You could spot the fakes a mile away.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Two of my mates are into Moncler which are faked as much as those Grey Goose Coats coats and Mulberry handbags.

Burberry scarves used to be the most copied item in Britain, remember them ??

How prevalent actually are fakes. If you are sensible buying 2nd hand either online or ebay e.t.c. do you think you are at genuine risk and rolling the dice every purchase? I have bought a couple of Tags online but more in the £500-1000 range.

Does it tend to be £2k+ watches that are faked?

I got my 'last ever watch' at xmas, the BB58, after a 4 month wait and the waiting lists since are now supposedly longer and the price has gone up twice since I ordered it.

Earlier this week on another forum there was mention of possible BB58 fakes :jawdrop1: and someone had put some pics up of a possible piece.The only thing I could see was the second hand was fractionally longer than mine ????

Apparently there are are posts on Reddit showing these fake 58's.

I got stung by a fake Hydroconquest as I've mentioned once or several times:laugh:so it's no more Ebay for me.

1 minute ago, JRParker said:

How prevalent actually are fakes. If you are sensible buying 2nd hand either online or ebay e.t.c. do you think you are at genuine risk and rolling the dice every purchase? I have bought a couple of Tags online but more in the £500-1000 range.

There are a glut of Aquaracer fakes about, I don't know about the other models.

14 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

These have been appearing in Florida I have heard. A couple of years ago it was Tudor BBs , then the Breitling Superocean II 44 ,  now it seems the Omega Seamaster is in the cross hairs .... Some ADs stateside use a filter to check the AR coating, it checks the watch as genuine instantly against a reference swatch.

Someone who watched that video checked the serial number for spare parts on Omega site and it matched. So papers & warranty card means nothing now too.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

Someone who watched that video checked the serial number for spare parts on Omega site and it matched. So papers & warranty card means nothing now too.

Boxes Papers and Warranty cards are all far easier to copy than the watches themselves and should never ever be held as proof of a piece being Genuine..

There are many YouTube videos that go into some depth and offer good advice with regards spotting the flaws in these items but again technology is advancing all the time and those involved in counterfeiting are improving their methods and the quality of said items all the time. 

We are in an era where demand is unprecedented for these must have items and that may cloud some peoples judgement when purchasing.

Just be careful out there our world is changing Scammers are now commonplace in our everyday lives... its always been there in some way but their methods and cunning is improving day by day.

• Thanks 1

short of picking the watch up from the factory door how sure can you be of any watch, its always Caveat emptor . having done a bit of internet trawling I have not been able to find a copy of ay kind on my next desired purchase which is  kinda reassuring.

deano

38 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

We are in an era where demand is unprecedented for these must have items and that may cloud some peoples judgement when purchasing.

Just be careful out there our world is changing Scammers are now commonplace in our everyday lives... its always been there in some way but their methods and cunning is improving day by day.

Social media plays a big part with "influencers" and "Vloggers". My only comment to anyone buying a watch as a result of this shallowness, is make sure it doesn't have sharp edges.

2 hours ago, JRParker said:

Nope, have a look on Wish for faked Seiko 5 and Orients for £5-15 DHGate have some bloody frightening looking fakes of Tudors/Omega/Rolex for around £60.

1 hour ago, Speedy112 said:

Boxes Papers and Warranty cards are all far easier to copy than the watches themselves and should never ever be held as proof of a piece being Genuine..

There are many YouTube videos that go into some depth and offer good advice with regards spotting the flaws in these items but again technology is advancing all the time and those involved in counterfeiting are improving their methods and the quality of said items all the time. 

Agreed for all of the above, best advice stick to AD's or the bigger resellers such as Watchfinder, watchmaster, chrononext or even the local watchmakers that are known to you.