• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
WRENCH

Hamilton or CWC.

Opinions on these two, given the choice, which one,

The "pretty" Hamilton @ £720,

h76419931.png

or the CWC @ £449.

15412_1024x1024.jpg?v=1575931735

The Hamilton is a handwinder with 80 hours reserve, the CWC has the trusty ETA 2824 auto.

• Like 2

Hamilton looks quite ugly IMO, I actually expected the CWC to be more expensive considering their tendency to bump up the price with any vague link to the military.  2 quid strips of canvas off a bag doubled up as a NATO strap for about 30 quid etc........

CWC for me

• Thanks 1

CWC for me also, better looking of the two in my opinion.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZenArcade said:

Hamilton looks quite ugly IMO,

In the flesh the finish is good, although i don't like the case back.

Hamilton-Khaki-Pilot-Pioneer-Mechanical-

CWC back,

15412-3_1024x1024.jpg?v=1575931735

• Like 2

Case back of the Hamilton seems nicer in the picture but these types of watches were never built to looks nice I suppose.  I have had a few CWC watches personally, I think these days they are massively overpriced.  The dive watches I would rather just get a Zeno or similar and even the G10 I always preferred the Pulsar, flat crystal less likely to mark, thinner case, easier to read especially the lume.  

I think Hamilton have their "Vietnam" watch for about £350 which is hand wind?  I would personally get that one I think this Hamilton looks a bit all over the place with the aged lume on it.

Hamilton for me if you take cost out of the equation, but I think they both seem quite expensive.  I like the look of the aged lume and the elegant retro logo.  The CWC looks a bit cluttered.  You have more strap options with the Hamilton as it uses spring bars.

Edited by AlexC1981

CWC gets my vote as well, purely on looks, I just don’t like the look of the Hamilton. :(

Personally I would buy an original, issued one of either rather than the homage reproductions.  In that case the Hamilton wins as it is manual wind whereas the CWC would be cheaper but quartz.

42 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

CWC would be cheaper but quartz.

"The CWC W10 Auto GS Navigator has the same case shape with the additional date function and using the original specified hesalite glass. Built to the same tough specification as the original W10.
A c
lassic British military design.

• 2824 ETA automatic mechanical movement "

47 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

"The CWC W10 Auto GS Navigator has the same case shape with the additional date function and using the original specified hesalite glass. Built to the same tough specification as the original W10.
A c
lassic British military design.

• 2824 ETA automatic mechanical movement "

I was talking about the original, issued watches

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

Got you. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Got you. :thumbsup:

You can get mechanical issued CWC watches they used a manual wind ETA calibre:2750 mines an RAF issue dating to 79 the case design differs from the quartz models but around the same size

DSC_7482copy_zps2fe1689d

• Thanks 1

The cwc is a beauty, if it were me Id go for that.

While the strap options are more limited with fixed bars on the cwc, at least you'll never have to worry about spring bar failure and losing a 500 quid watch either!

Edited by sparrow
Oops

I've always regretted selling this one:

43621925165_7ef57ebbe8_c.jpg

It was a lovely, lightly refurbed, 1979 reference with an excellent hand-winding movement that kept about +3 secs per day. Cost me about £350.

2 hours ago, scottswatches said:

The W10 was a mechanical hand-winding movement pre-1980. They may have changed it in the 80s but I think it was discontinued in the 1980 when the quartz G10 was issued?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the CWC for me. Though similar I prefer its shape as opposed to the Hamilton. Not to mention the £720.

I would not pay that much for a reissued Hammy, when you could probably buy an issued one for that sort of money.

CWC all day long.

36 minutes ago, jmm1 said:

I would not pay that much for a reissued Hammy, when you could probably buy an issued one for that sort of money.

CWC all day long.

It's not really a "re-issue", more like a new watch made to look like an old one. Perhaps a homage to the original W10 would be a better description. Still overpriced in my opinion.

CWC are bringing out a handwinding G10 similar to the original ones (the Mellor72) just watched a video promo on their fb page. No price mentioned as yet that I can see though!

• Like 1