• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
lovingtheclock

Is this corrosion?

So I just bought this old Casio on eBay and didn’t notice this until after...the watch is fully functional and looks in good condition apart from this on the back of the watch..is it likely it’s going to be corrosion, scratches or just dirt? I won’t receive it for a while so will be waiting on tenterhooks...! 

jNgiD3W_d.jpg

Well, @lovingtheclock, it does depend on what metal has been used to make the case of the watch. Judging by your picture, the case is made of plated base-metal and there appears to have been corrosion on both the case and the button. How much is due to physical wear and tear and how much to active corrosion is not easy to ascertain without examining the watch but I suggest that you will have to live with this damage on the watch.

• Like 1

My brother gave me a Lorus that he'd put in the drawer years ago. The case was quite corroded on the back and around the edge and the watch not working.

I printed a new dial with his name on, put a new Miyota module in and cleaned the case up with a fibreglass brush. It looked quite presentable when done, so much so that it has been his everyday watch for some time.

A bit of patience and a jeweller's fibreglass brush is all you need. You won't bring it back to new condition though.

• Like 1

I agree with eezy that the look of the case can be improved upon by careful attention but, as he also says and further to my own remarks, the actual damage cannot (easily ) be reversed because the plated surface has been damaged, revealing the base metal underneath. This base alloy will never appear the same as the original plated surface. :)

• Like 1