• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How do people service old watches economically?

badgersdad

Question

I just phoned a place about five miles from me about a service on my old Rotary Aquaplunge (AS1700 21j auto) and a Seiko 7002 dive watch, Both have gotten so gummed up that they struggle to even move now!, I was somewhat shocked when the lady quoted £220 each! :jawdrop1:

She then told me that they don't actually do the work but rather outsource to repairaman!, I think their handling fees are slightly high!!

The last watch I had serviced was a Rotary manual wind about 25 years ago, I took it in to a shop near me for a new mainspring, He said it would need a service too- Cost was £20 :laughing2dw:  (Still runs well even now!!) They were BJHI endorsed too, later on I took a 1950 Omega manual wind for a crown/Stem and a crystal, The stem was left too long so the crown was sticking out too much and was catching on my jersy so I took it back and he agreed, The pratt shortened the stem too much so it wouldn't reach the pullpiece and it pulled clean out!, He said it needed to go to Switzerland for an overhaul :taz:

Also, the cracked crystal was still in, I told him i'd paid for a crystal so the old man handed it to a young lad telling him to put a new crystal in, When I got home I removed the crown from the stem, I then cut a little sliver of aluminium from a pot noodle lid and pushed it down the crown tube, i screwed the two back together and Presto! All was well, The stem didn't go in to the tube as far so reached the pullpiece and was ok!

As it turned out, The crystal was too small, It fell out and the minute hand was pulled off by my cuff, It made the hole oval and wouldn't sit back on the canon shaft (Sub second dial) so it's been in a drawer ever since :(

John :thumbsup:

I dug the Aquaplunge out last night and coaxed the balance wheel a little, It sprang in to life and has kept time with my Bulova Oceanographer since around 1.30 this morn!!, It must have expelled something and it's still going now!!

John :thumbsup: