• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

Which Browser for my New Computer?

I am taking an enforced break from my Forum topics column in order to sort out some pressing personal and health matters. One of these is that I am setting up a new computer for my research and writing work - a big screen Asus laptop with Windows 10. The question now arises as to which browser I should install as my main link to the internet; I have been using Firefox up until this point but may decide to change to something else, after experiencing a few problems. The main use for a browser in my case is accessing many different websites for information, using up to about 5 open tabs at a time, and writing/saving my work to Google Docs or Apache Open Office. Obviously, security and privacy are important issues and I must have a browser that warns me if I am about to go on to a dodgy website. I would appreciate opinions and advice on which browser would be most suitable, especially as I know that some members, like myself, are prone to researching watches online.:)

I've never had any problems with Google Chrome, Honour...I've been using it for years. You can have multiple tabs open, and it will warn if there's a dodgy looking site. BTW, I have it teamed with Bulldog security, which will actively prevent you opening a dodgy site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Used to be a long time Firefox user but last year I bought a new Android smartphone (a flagship one) and in this case it's a lot better to use Chrome since it's a Google product just like Android and they work together. (I get lots of shared/common stuff across the laptop and phone due to the fact that I'm logged in on the same account and stuff)

I'd say either pick Chrome or stick to Firefox. They're both good. Firefox used to be in the lead as far as popularity but now Chrome is the king...

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Google Chrome here.  :king:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

as I know that some members, like myself, are prone to researching watches online

I use both Chrome and Firefox. An advantage of Chrome if you're working on foreign language sites is it will ask if you want it automatically translated.

Google offers a translate option on links in search, which you can use in Firefox, but I find the built in Chrome option more convenient and reliable.

The main thing you might miss from Firefox, I think, is the bookmarks menu you can have open down the side of the page. In Chrome, you only have the horizontal toolbar for quick access to bookmarks.

Both browsers have no trouble displaying pdfs, and copy/paste into word processors. I find Libre Office the best free one.

I had problems printing from Firefox in Win7, but I think you'll find it better in 10.

My advice would be install both and see which you prefer.

Edited by spinynorman
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for all those replies. Given that I use Google Docs quite a bit these days and have experienced some problems with Firefox - most recently when printing using Windows 7 on our printing setup at home - I am going to plump for Chrome. I did like the idealism behind Firefox and am aware that they have made great progress in updating their browser; however, perhaps the sheer number of users on Chrome does mean something, so I think I will join the herd. After all, I can always change back to Firefox at a later date.

Thanks again everyone.:thumbs_up:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Always"watching" said:

Many thanks for all those replies. Given that I use Google Docs quite a bit these days and have experienced some problems with Firefox - most recently when printing using Windows 7 on our printing setup at home - I am going to plump for Chrome. I did like the idealism behind Firefox and am aware that they have made great progress in updating their browser; however, perhaps the sheer number of users on Chrome does mean something, so I think I will join the herd. After all, I can always change back to Firefox at a later date.

Thanks again everyone.:thumbs_up:

Im a bit late to this but yes....another here for google chrome.....just in case you were wavering!:tongue:

• Haha 1

I'll give my two cents. I am a software developer and I spend most of my days on this!

Honestly the new microsoft edge isn't bad at all. I would give him a chance! 
Both Firefox and Chrome are decent browser, but they will require quite a bit of RAM. If you have memory issues consider using Maxton.
Personally I use a modified version of chrome that works perfectly: UR. A bit less of RAM usage and all Chrome's feature work fine.

Recently bought a new computer with a lot of memory and fast disk, so back to Firefox which is my preferred browser. 

• Like 1