• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Cal 3133 Poljot restoration ...

You may recall I received a 3133 chrono recently with quite a poor replacement dial, and I was planning to re-lume it properly (I think I have figured out how) but then it seemed absurd to gild the proverbial.

And so it seemed better to get into a little restoration proper.  Like, an entire new dial.

I took some tips from the experts about swapping parts around between Poljot 3133 chronos here:

A good page on restoring a Poljot https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/poljot-3133-oldtimer-project-637961.html

Unfortunately this poor chap made a hash of cleaning up his cyrillic Poljot

Name:  3133dial.jpg Views: 837 Size:  110.2 KB

So I thought I should throw my hat in the ring and finish a proper job (he gave up and turned it into a Sturmanskie instead).

I found a great dial complete with tachymeter scale!

And I'm on with it, see below! So far so good - hope I pressed the second hand far enough - I am trying to graduate from the school of bit more, bit more, oops too much, to the high school of bit more, bit more, aha!

IMG_20200123_222746669(1).thumb.jpg.dafc904952f7e3814e0c31ae01cc66b8.jpg

That's enough for this evening.  The movement holder came from China - ordered it yonks ago lol.

When I'm done I'll put the old dial in the sales corner in case anyone has an old OKEAH with a grotty dial they want to replace.

I think I am going to give it new hour / minute hands too - because silver on silver?  I know the Russians did that, but that is why I got rid of my Gucci - not visible enough for me.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 3

p.s. I believe the bezel on these 'should' be black, the chap from WUS was literally showcasing his in a spare one. 

p.p. I know it's a telemeter scale

• Like 2

so I have put a couple more hands on - I set it to 12 noon before I took the old ones off

IMG_20200125_171023992.thumb.jpg.ea5ae003317c1c217701d0b1699c9195.jpg

Next I think I will clean the dial with some blu-tacky stuff under a loupe for tiny bits of fluff and then case it before I do any damage.

Then I can fit the crown - that's the bit I hate, pushing the release lever just enough but not too much - I have done the keyless works on a Pobeda through not pushing it enough - don't fancy having a go at this.  Anyway, that's if I can find the stem / crown (laughs nervously - it is somewhere safe).

Then I can fit the chrono seconds last with the crystal off, after I have started and stopped / reset the chrono a few times.  Pretty sure it is zeroed right now, but need to check.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1

Stem went in ...    hairy moment when the button seemed stuck down.

IMG_20200125_184511823(1).thumb.jpg.3550c09dd3ff3a119fd87483f635a32d.jpg

the thing top left is my stem-release button-pusher

It comes with an i-phone I think to eject the sim card.  Anyway, when I split with the missus, I got the little pusher tool, and she had to make do with the i-phone!  Larf? Did I?!

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Haha 2

Everyone loves a pokey tool used for the wrong job! Like those narrow, flat bladed hacking/boggling/digging/paint can opening tools. Useless for screws!

• Like 1