• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Morthin

Clock winding drum advise

My clock had a habit that it would stop, this was because the gut would get snagged, so I had to un snag it and it would go. To prevent this I installed new gut of the recommended size,its gone for a month without probs, but it has decided to do it again. When I wind the drum I feed it on with a knitting needle so that it sits tidily on the drum. Is there anything that I am missing? any ideas how to overcome this, the drum looks OK. Thanks in advance 

I think you have over filled the drum. When you purchased the new gut line, did it come in a packet as one length?

do you have the complete length of old gut line? If not . After attaching to the drum feed the line onto the drum, by hand. Filling all the grooves. Add about 12 inches to the line to drop under the seat board and fit pulley. Then feed back into the securing hole in seat board and knot. Remove any surplus line. The amout of gut line often sold in packets, exceeds the required length and has to be trimmed to the clock.

hope this helps.