• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

UV light versus patina staining / black funk

I have been shining my 'black light' torch (bought for curing crystal adhesive) on my 'worst' watch dials, to try and break down the pigment or disrupt anything organic going on.

What watchcraft have you invented?

12 minutes ago, lovingtheclock said:

do you have any before and after pics?

It hasn't made any difference yet.  So I only have 'before' pics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

UV torch probably won’t be strong enough to kill little micro’s. Sorry..

there is a really good reason why the super power kitchen ones can only be used when the kitchens are empty:)

• Like 2

None really but ive caused issues that the watch seems to later resolve itself including slipping hands on an FL i never knew the right time for a bit after cleaning it. Then they sorted themselves as if by magic.

1 minute ago, Richard734 said:

there is a really good reason why the super power kitchen ones can only be used when the kitchens are empty:)

Im with you...if he gets a super power one he will be one of the little microbes killed then. Not good eh. 

• Like 1

Using toothpaste to clean a plastic crystal - bloody useless and made the watch smell of mint for weeks

• Thanks 1

Using certain photographic polarising and tint filters to compare the change in appearance of the AR coating on watches for the purposes of seeing how regular that coating is ( Ie I tried it on three identical watches ).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Richard734 said:

I know, I used to make disinfection devices for safety cabinets, the tubes were special glass to allow transmission of UVC, then someone sugested putting a film over them as a safety measure in case they broke, that would promptly absorb it lol.  The torch is probably UVB.

So erm, yeah, I was just kidding around!

But UVB is good for palm-oil stains.

So if you spill palm-oil in your watch whilst lubricating it, away you go - shove it through the washing machine and hang it up in the sunshine.

4 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Using certain photographic polarising and tint filters to compare the change in appearance of the AR coating on watches for the purposes of seeing how regular that coating is ( Ie I tried it on three identical watches ).

Too serious by far lol!

5 hours ago, Nigelp said:

None really but ive caused issues that the watch seems to later resolve itself including slipping hands on an FL i never knew the right time for a bit after cleaning it. Then they sorted themselves as if by magic.

Im with you...if he gets a super power one he will be one of the little microbes killed then. Not good eh. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I know, I used to make disinfection devices for safety cabinets, the tubes were special glass to allow transmission of UVC, then someone sugested putting a film over them as a safety measure in case they broke, that would promptly absorb it lol.  The torch is probably UVB.

So erm, yeah, I was just kidding around!

But UVB is good for palm-oil stains.

So if you spill palm-oil in your watch whilst lubricating it, away you go - shove it through the washing machine and hang it up in the sunshine.

Too serious by far lol!

It worked youve been disappeared nutralised de funked:swoon:

Try it on @BondandBigM's storm trooping watch. Its the Abba watch

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Doesn't work

49444836687_499426fcf1_b.jpg

It isn't any cleaner 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

you just need hair like @mach 0.0013137 had in 1976 now and a pair of white boots:laugh:

i cant talk im wearing a UFO from 1976 lol 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

you just need hair like @mach 0.0013137 had in 1976 now and a pair of white boots:laugh:

No ABBA in the Bond household 

49444948652_30144a2fcc_b.jpg

Currently annoying the neighbours with some silky smooth lounge beats through the BOSE subwoofer

:biggrin:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JoT said:

Using toothpaste to clean a plastic crystal - bloody useless and made the watch smell of mint for weeks

Origin of WIS terminology "I have a minty watch for sale" or "My minty new watch......"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3