• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Marcin

Found today in my local cash converter:)

Black seiko 7002 in good condition

IMG_20200128_160515

2020-01-28_04-07-43IMG_20200128_141413

I had a plan to buy just one watch a year but already bought two:) 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Marcin said:

IMG_20200128_160515

2020-01-28_04-07-43IMG_20200128_141413

Looks a peach, well spotted and purchased.

As with all plans amendments are often necessary and needed! :thumbs_up:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marcin said:

Nice find, you couldn't have passed on that. Just don't go looking in anymore shops and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Cash converters are a mixed bag.  I have had absolute bargains, and absolute horrors from them.  Cartier watch posted in a jiffy bag with no extra protection?  Yep.  Checked by our jeweller and just needs a battery - manual wind.  £80 longines fully working - not running,  but 18k gold.  Buyer beware. 

But the 7002 looks good OP :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Richard734 said:

Did they know what they had?

I don't think so. They had a modern kinetic black seiko diver next to it with a big mark on a bazel for almost twice as much as mine:) 

• Like 1

Nice, but I'm pretty sure it's an aftermarket dial and bezel insert.

However … the case and crown seem original so if it was less than £100 it was a bargain :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

Nice, but I'm pretty sure it's an aftermarket dial and bezel insert.

However … the case and crown seem original so if it was less than £100 it was a bargain :thumbsup:

Why do you think it has aftermarket parts?

11 minutes ago, Marcin said:

Bright green dial markers and the bezel insert looks brand new. If it was an original dial the markers would be a dull grey/green, and the bezel inserts are nearly always bashed up. It could be a Seiko insert, just doubtful it's the one sold with the watch 20+ years ago :)

1000s of these are like Trigger's broom and serviced with aftermarket parts, which isn't a bad thing, just not all original. As long as the case and movement are sound, it is what it is. They were a cheap, mass-produced watch that got used and abused for decades so no harm in restoring them.

There's a good 7002 guide here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/how-buy-seiko-7002-diver-collectors-buying-guide-258086.html

1 hour ago, Marcin said:

check out your lume plot at 6 which extends to the edge of the dial then look at this, on the 6309 it would indicate an after market dial.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-seiko-7002-diver-review-vintage/

Seiko 7002 Diver

2020-01-28_04-07-43

whether this applies to the 7001 needs clarification. 

similarly a suwa with after market dial...look at the 6 plot

Image result for seiko 6309

and a gen 

Image result for seiko 6309

even if it is aftermarket its not a killer for it as it might have needed one though with such a mint case it seems odd to need doing unless theyve refinished the case? 

Thank you guys. Still so much to learn about watches. I read the thread about 7002 on watchuseek and still didn't notice it was an aftermarket dial. 

Good thing I have learnt something new about old watches, bad I will like my watch less:taz:

On 28/01/2020 at 20:58, scottswatches said:

Cash converters are a mixed bag.  I have had absolute bargains, and absolute horrors from them.  Cartier watch posted in a jiffy bag with no extra protection?  Yep.  Checked by our jeweller and just needs a battery - manual wind.  £80 longines fully working - not running,  but 18k gold.  Buyer beware. 

But the 7002 looks good OP :thumbsup:

I agree, they have two Bulova Sea Kings on there at the minute one with box, papers etc £199. A second one with no mention of a box etc for £299. Both look in pretty good condition. I love the UHF movement but they are way too big for my wrist. 

@Marcin I think it looks great, even if it has been modded slightly. Just think, your watch is now completely unique, no one else has a watch like that one. All the best dude.