• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
WRENCH

E-scooters.

I'm in favour of innovation but with those diddy little wheels any pothole/ road debris is going to cause carnage. The legislation will be interesting as what was meant to legalise scooters might morph into something with a seat resembling a motorbike?

• Like 1

This seems like a recipe for disaster and I agree with Wrenny above. Our car has small wheels and even that is enough to render potholes pretty daunting. I know that bicycles have bigger wheels than scooters but I reckon that with the poor state of the roads around here, cyclists take their lives in their hands on every trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Still fancy one of these...Halfords sell the Segway S1 for around £400. They may be illegal to use on the pavements and roads at the moment, but there are loads of kids with them and electric scooters around our area, and no one seems to bother them. This model is already limited to 12.5 MPH so would be within the proposed speed limit.

1 hour ago, Always"watching" said:

This seems like a recipe for disaster and I agree with Wrenny above. Our car has small wheels and even that is enough to render potholes pretty daunting. I know that bicycles have bigger wheels than scooters but I reckon that with the poor state of the roads around here, cyclists take their lives in their hands on every trip.

I would surmise that the example shown is I'll informed media example. This sort of thing works better.

HTB1PTE4OVXXXXbfapXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg

Mind you, the local "scooter gran" managed to whiz around the pavement safely on her foot powered small wheels.

1394427483.jpg

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/daily-record-helps-perth-scooter-1593132

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I would surmise that the example shown is I'll informed media example. This sort of thing works better.

HTB1PTE4OVXXXXbfapXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg

These things were all over the place in Fuertaventura when we were there last year. 

And ridden with no regard to pedestrians or other road users by anybody young or old with a few euros to spare. They even offered Big M’s grandson, who was only 9, one fortunately his father stepped in and vetoed the idea and they got a twin seater.

Basically it was carnage, no suspension and big balloon tyres they just bounced all over the place at the slightest hint of a bump or kerb, we were sat in a boozer and we saw one kid get no more than a hundred yards from the hire shop before getting bucked off into a traffic bollard as he tried to cross a road as well as several other crashes and comings together with cars and various stationary objects

Death traps 

Unless you want to go straight to A&E avoid at all costs.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

These things were all over the place in Fuertaventura when we were there last year. 

And ridden with no regard to pedestrians or other road users by anybody young or old with a few euros to spare. They even offered Big M’s grandson, who was only 9, one fortunately his father stepped in and vetoed the idea and they got a twin seater.

Basically it was carnage, no suspension and big balloon tyres they just bounced all over the place at the slightest hint of a bump or kerb, we were sat in a boozer and we saw one kid get no more than a hundred yards from the hire shop before getting bucked off into a traffic bollard as he tried to cross a road as well as several other crashes and comings together with cars and various stationary objects

Death traps 

All over the Algarve as well...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Compared to some of the sh!'te I run around on they're luxury. :laughing2dw:

Seriously Zero make good stuff, and this would probably be acceptable restricted to 15.5 mph. The benefit is, some of these things fold flat, so you can keep them indoors so they don't get nicked.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 2

These look good

https://stagmotorcycles.co.uk/collections/e-dirtbike

@Roger the Dodger

I don’t know about where you were but in the shop Big M’s grandson and dad went to there was no mention of insurance or even the offer of any kind of crash helmet or protective clothing, you stumped up €20 or so and off you went no questions asked.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

I'm in favour of innovation but with those diddy little wheels any pothole/ road debris is going to cause carnage. The legislation will be interesting as what was meant to legalise scooters might morph into something with a seat resembling a motorbike?

im all for idiots killing themselves and decreasing the surplus population 

• Haha 1

Just now, BondandBigM said:

These look good

https://stagmotorcycles.co.uk/collections/e-dirtbike

@Roger the Dodger

I don’t know about where you were but in the shop Big M’s grandson and dad went to there was no mention of insurance or even the offer of any kind of crash helmet or protective clothing, you stumped up €20 or so and off you went no questions asked.

The locals seem to use them quite a lot...I even saw one with a Union Jack paint job...probably an ex-pat. They're quite nippy, but the roads in Portugal seem to be pretty good on the whole...not many potholes around, though they do have ridiculously deep open storm gutters at the sides of the road...V shaped and about 14 inches across and deep. You wouldn't want to accidently drive a car into one, let alone a scooter

3 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

im all for idiots killing themselves and decreasing the surplus population 

Maybe so however looking at the above comments what the people really want is some decent electric offerings - I've watched a few vids covering electric bikes and dirt bikes, the latter appearing to have massive torque and fun factor. The law says, and I'm paraphrasing, that you must have pedals and no hand operated throttle for it to be a "push bike" which seems okay. We should push back on basic scooters on safety grounds, given they share the road with scooter killers, but as you move the dial on quality and safety the price goes up along with a compelling case for legalisation - there is serious money/ trade in this stuff given many city/ urban dwellers no longer want a 4 door Allegro with vinyl roof but as wrench says the real challenge will be keeping it away from the tea leaves.

2 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

The locals seem to use them quite a lot...I even saw one with a Union Jack paint job...probably an ex-pat. They're quite nippy, but the roads in Portugal seem to be pretty good on the whole...not many potholes around, though they do have ridiculously deep open storm gutters at the sides of the road...V shaped and about 14 inches across and deep. You wouldn't want to accidently drive a car into one, let alone a scooter

Big M and I are going to stick to mobility scooters

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Sheila in Spain, 2015, deciding whether to do a 'Madge' from 'Benidorm' or not...it was a pretty close call.....:laughing2dw:

Roger's Miscellaneous Album.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

This one. :laughing2dw:

Remember your safety bunnet.

• Haha 1

Bad enough dodging cycles on pavements round here,seems these cursed contraptions will be legal soon :bash:

There all over the place over here, not so much in the winter though. .. They are very dangerous, the riders just cut accross payment's, roads, crossings etc. It is only a matter of time before a death... I wouldn't ride a bike here never mind an electric scooter... :laugh:

Edited by martinzx

the skate boards were bad enough, but the older kids could take them inside to "flip burgers".    vin

Kids the age of you lot should definitely stick to the mobility scooters :laughing2dw:

Mind you, I need talk - I fell off my 8yr olds new scooter on Christmas day p!ssed a newt!

7 hours ago, Bonzodog said:

Bad enough dodging cycles on pavements round here,seems these cursed contraptions will be legal soon :bash:

Well this is where this county falls down, many areas on mainland Europe have safe designated lanes for both cyclists and e-scooters and restricted mopeds, this making it safe for all. You'll always get idiots driving/riding anything, but I am in total agreement that the pavement is and always should be for pedestrians only, and mobility scooters should be governed to a sensible walking pace as well. The local "hells grannies" menace many an innocent pedestrian when they are out en mass on their way to afternoon tea club, with shouts of "out of my way ***t" as you hold them up crossing the narrow railway bridge walkway, only to be flicked with hot fag ash as they speed by for their fix of PG tips.

38fd0d1643ef3d81f19971243de76510.jpg

42 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Well this is where this county falls down, many areas on mainland Europe have safe designated lanes for both cyclists and e-scooters and restricted mopeds, this making it safe for all. You'll always get idiots driving/riding anything, but I am in total agreement that the pavement is and always should be for pedestrians only, and mobility scooters should be governed to a sensible walking pace as well. The local "hells grannies" menace many an innocent pedestrian when they are out en mass on their way to afternoon tea club, with shouts of "out of my way ***t" as you hold them up crossing the narrow railway bridge walkway, only to be flicked with hot fag ash as they speed by for their fix of PG tips.

38fd0d1643ef3d81f19971243de76510.jpg

Plenty of dedicated cycle lanes ,they prefer to ride on pavements.

4 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

Plenty of dedicated cycle lanes ,they prefer to ride on pavements.

The cycle lanes where I live are unusable, and unsafe. I use safe routes on quiet streets to get about, it may take a couple or so minutes longer, but I get to where I'm going safely without annoying anyone. 

On 29/01/2020 at 19:15, BondandBigM said:

here's a straight to the hospital job.

• Thanks 1

On 29/01/2020 at 19:59, Roger the Dodger said:

I found a pic I'd taken of one of the gutters in Portugal...I only took it as I was amazed at how dangerous it must be...not only for bikes etc., but also for cars. This'd knacker your steering, suspension and underside of your car if you accidently drove into it...:swoon:

Roger's Miscellaneous Album.