• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
iMac

Watch Cleaning / Smoke Smell

Good Afternoon All,

I recently bought a lovely vintage Omega Deville which has now arrived and looks as good as it did in the pictures.

Unfortunately the watch must have been stored for years in a heavy smoke/tobacco environment and as such the smell of the leather strap and the watch itself is too much for me to wear.  The watch was NOS with a new leather strap so I don't really want to start scrubbing it but wondered if anyone had a suggestions as to how to remove the smells.

Would a proper clean from an independent place do the job?

Based in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ian

5 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

You are probably on a hiding to nothing , best option is a replacement strap imho.

Ditto,never going to shift the smell.

I have had this problem myself. A heavy smoker lent me his Kindle with a leather case and the awful smell of stale tar and tobacco was impossible to live with so I had to pretend that I was about to buy my own Kindle, and gave it back. As a purchaser and reader of second-hand books, this problem has arisen quite often and there is no way of getting rid of the smell from leather and cloth-bound books; it can even penetrate the pages. Yuch!  I feel a but of a hypocrite here because in my earlier days, I did used to smoke, but I do know smokers who also can't stand the smell of ashtrays and items that have become coated in tobacco residue from the smoke.

As has been said above, a new strap is probably the answer, I have never found a way to remove cigarette smoke smell from leather. I have cleaned the exterior and bracelet of dirty smelly second hand watches before with methylated spirits and a cotton bud, not sure if that's the accepted method but it worked OK and did get rid of the smell

It might be worth trying rubbing bicarbonate of soda into the strap. It does seem to have some magic deodorant effects. Smelly, mildewed wet boots etc, vomit from carpet.... it won’t hurt!

Vinegar and bicarb would be my first go. Spritz, don't soak, with a weak water/vinegar (white) solution then put it in a resealable bag with some bicarb. I've had some luck with this but it takes a while. Then condition which will mask/remove the smell a bit. 

Strong UV lights are meant to work, but you need to be careful you don't burn/boil yourself in the process.

• Like 1

Like many have said unfortunately i do not think you will not be able to get rid if the smell. I have tried myself in the past various methods with no success. 

One method was to place in the freezer for two covered in barcarbanate soda for two weeks ... Came out smelling just the same... Lol

Cheers Martin 

Found this,

"Within a small bowl create a baking soda paste of one part baking soda to three parts water. Once mixed, submerge the leather watch bands within this formula and allow it to sit for 24 hours. During this time, the leather fiber will be loosened up and the baking soda will work to absorb the available odor."

I'd try it on something with no value first, also try Zoflora. 

16 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I have had this problem myself. A heavy smoker lent me his Kindle with a leather case and the awful smell of stale tar and tobacco was impossible to live with so I had to pretend that I was about to buy my own Kindle, and gave it back. As a purchaser and reader of second-hand books, this problem has arisen quite often and there is no way of getting rid of the smell from leather and cloth-bound books; it can even penetrate the pages. Yuch!  I feel a but of a hypocrite here because in my earlier days, I did used to smoke, but I do know smokers who also can't stand the smell of ashtrays and items that have become coated in tobacco residue from the smoke.

I purchase and read a fair amount of second hand books too but I've never :hmmm9uh:smelled stale tobacco on them.

I've never smoked or even tried one but i must hate smoking as much as a reformed smoker.

Is there a formulation of 'Febreze' that would work?...that's supposed to neutralise odours without just covering them up. I know there is a formulation for use on fabrics.

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Is there a formulation of 'Febreze' that would work?...that's supposed to neutralise odours without just covering them up. I know there is a formulation for use on fabrics.

That's what Zoflora does. I once bought a car that stunk of dogs, and cleaning it with Zoflora was the only thing that worked.

https://www.zoflora.co.uk/faqs/

How does a NOS (new but old stock) watch smell of tobacco with a new strap?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Turpinr said:

I purchase and read a fair amount of second hand books too but I've never :hmmm9uh:smelled stale tobacco on them.

I've never smoked or even tried one but i must hate smoking as much as a reformed smoker.

I am also a big out of print second hand book buyer - and yes I have had some smelly books! The worst one was a mixture of tobacco and what smelt like fried fish :laugh:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JoT said:

I am also a big out of print second hand book buyer - and yes I have had some smelly books! The worst one was a mixture of tobacco and what smelt like fried fish :laugh:

i read this 

Image result for pele autograph book

i bought this from a charity shop great read about a great player but i could not christen the smell. 

53 minutes ago, ong said:

How does a NOS (new but old stock) watch smell of tobacco with a new strap?  

cant see the metal case and innards being a problem...im with you. If they are just light it it might be a good smoke.