• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Yanto

CITIZEN NY0040 PROMASTER

Afternoon all.

Have recently been getting more and more interested in older Citizen models. I’m quite keen on getting a 1970’s NY0040. 
Does anyone here have one (or even a slightly older version), and what are your opinions please.

How does this model compare with Seiko’s SKX007J? 

Cheers in advance 

I've only had the 1990s promasters and they have been sound, but not outstanding.  I'm keen to learn more on the older watches though

• Like 1

I have one for about 8 years, very happy with it. Last year I have also bought the NY009 "Fugu" Asia Limited Edition.

Sorry, but I have never had the 007 to compare with.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vadiro said:

I have one for about 8 years, very happy with it. Last year I have also bought the NY009 "Fugu" Asia Limited Edition.

Sorry, but I have never had the 007 to compare with.

Hi and thanks for the reply. Does your 8 year old model have hand winding please?

I have owned my CITIZEN Promaster NY0040 for five happy years. Like Vadiro, I have also never owned a SEIKO SKX007J, but what I can say that it is less common to see people wearing the Promaster. I bought a Geckota shark mesh bracelet last week to give new life to my timepiece.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSisZfendQ99tfkAA

I have owned both and would say that the 007 has the edge, no handwinding of course, you have to do the 'Seiko shake', but a good looking and very well built watch 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoT said:

I have owned both and would say that the 007 has the edge, no handwinding of course, you have to do the 'Seiko shake', but a good looking and very well built watch 

I had an SKX007J but sold it after 6 months. I liked it but the lack of handwinding was a nuisance. 

I'm a bit late to this thread. I've owned both the NY0040 and the SKX007. I preferred the NY0040 for the following reasons:

1. It wears smaller then the Seiko, so suited my narrow wrists much better.
2. The Seiko dial has a cheap look to it, with simple painted on indices. The indices on the NY0040 have metal rings round them and look a lot better.
3. The Seiko is just too common! Everybody's got one.

Here's a picture I took with the two side by side. It's slightly out of focus, sorry about that.

cvo7QYO.jpg

• Like 1