• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

No DIY for me today and we are entertaining friends, so I can wear something a bit “nice”.

Recent new arrival. A Cartier Santos 100 with a fantastic backdrop story. One that I’ve coveted for some years and finally found the exact right one...

large.78271595-A949-4FB2-91A2-A14230E0F12B.jpeg.3f086eeba62451f8b09eed7f043497ba.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

No DIY for me today and we are entertaining friends, so I can wear something a bit “nice”.
Recent new arrival. A Cartier Santos 100 with a fantastic backdrop story. One that I’ve coveted for some years and finally found the exact right one...
large.78271595-A949-4FB2-91A2-A14230E0F12B.jpeg.3f086eeba62451f8b09eed7f043497ba.jpeg

Cool! Lovely looking watch. What’s the story behind this? You’ll see from my other post I have had a disappointing experience with Cartier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Watch this... said:

Cool! Lovely looking watch. What’s the story behind this? You’ll see from my other post I have had a disappointing experience with Cartier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The story behind the Santos Model name is well known. Brazilian pioneering aviator Santos Dumont was frustrated having to use a pocket watch to time his initial flying attempts when vying with the Wright brothers to be recognised as the first man to fly. 
He complained about it to his pal Louis Cartier who promptly created the first pilot watch and named the model after his buddy. Wristwatchesformen weren’t really a thing. Some ladies had bracelets with fancy miniature clocks on them, but this was the first true gents wristwatch, invented for a pilot when pilots weren’t even a thing yet. Very clear dial with a seconds hand and mounted on the wrist so you could read it while holding on for dear life to a contraption of wire and canvas with an engine strapped onto it. 

Then the story of this particular one is that I bought it pre-loved from a chap in Brisbane who had it from new and needed funds to buy the very latest version. Everybody came out laughing. 

• Like 2

For one horrific moment I thought the chrono hour counter was stuck at zero, till I remembered I had started it twelve hours ago :mad0218:

• Like 2

Sunday morning reflections..... Constants in my life
Seiko Kinetics, Wife and Motorbikes 

T67nVI.jpg

HDHd14.jpg

HgjtMM.jpg 

Edited by Faze
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, CB200 said:

For one horrific moment I thought the chrono hour counter was stuck at zero, till I remembered I had started it twelve hours ago :mad0218:

I noticed the centre seconds on my favourite chrono not quite zeroing, so I tried adjusting it without removing the second hand completely from the pillar, as they can be awkward to re-fit - I have to kneel down so my watch is at eye level lol.

Anyway, I wiggled it precisely to zero, but now, umm.... , it doesn't start :whistle: and although I have never used the feature in anger, I find that extremely irksome. What am I to do if suddenly invited to umpire at the national weevil racing championships?  The thought may even now be passing the lips of branch secretary Shirley Knott, WRC* Co-ordinator.  "Jet Jetski" I can almost hear him saying, "he's your man, always a reliable timekeeper on his wrist" he will propound, "runs those Russian chronographs day and night, with tightly coiled springs at the ready for any stop-watch emergency!". Oh, the shame.  I better get it fixed, before they call.

I did factor in the price of a service when I bought it, luckily.

*weevil racing championship

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

is this the most interesting watch dial design in recent years?

IMG_20200202_100940_101

some nice presages, so so nearly bought the red 12 at half price - this one is interesting, and the cocktail time range generally

• Like 1

Plenty of love for this watch brand, simply because my Grandad loved the brand.

Decided to wear this rare Avia Submariner 197102 which I recently purchased from Spain for €50.

I have posted here in Post 1990's presuming this is where this watch belongs.

IMG-1824.jpg

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

is this the most interesting watch dial design in recent years?

IMG_20200202_100940_101

At the price, yes. I keep coming back to that one. If it didn't have a date window I'd probably have it. Definitely some mid 20th century influence I would say.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Just because I like to see the red letter day

IMG_20200202_074216996(1).thumb.jpg.ed5e4a0f58541d5c3fe4ba8cf9f284ab.jpg

Red letter day looks even better in Kanji...:biggrin:

BfRHQ4q.jpg

7 minutes ago, John_D said:

BfRHQ4q.jpg

Then I post the wrong picture Doh!.......... I blame it on my age:(

D1NtZJb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, John_D said:

BfRHQ4q.jpg

Then I post the wrong picture Doh!.......... I blame it on my age:(

D1NtZJb.jpg

I nearly went JDM Seiko for my 1964 watch, but ended up going Russian instead lol - took a bit of a chance but my Poljot 'класс 1' keeps good time.

• Like 1