• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Fridays furniture (7/2/20)

Jonesinamillion

43 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

DSC_0197

Bought this as part of a his and hers set, gifted to a couple when they worked for Shell in Kenya.  The ladies one needs work, but this is running sweetly

What a peach, that look i amazing condition! A great find, well done! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning,

Today this Swiss-made Union by Gisiger-Greder of Solothurn (Soleure). The original company seems to have operated between 1920 and c.1975 but despite their 50-odd years in business, there’s not a whole lot to find about them.

Like so many others, this one came as a non-runner with a banged up crystal, a spaghetti balance spring and no-one else seemed to want it. Runs on a 17j Peseux 7040 and will date from the late 1960s.

Regards.

Union Soleure after 2 v.2.jpg

Union Soleure Peseux 7040 after 3 v.2.jpg

• Like 12

Today is a rare day, i'm wearing a quartz watch, not a normal one though A Bulova Precisionist Longwood. This uses Bulova's 262khz movement and has what looks to be a continuously sweeping second hand like a spring drive. It's not though it actually 'ticks' 16 times a second, some later precisionist models lowered this rate to 8 or even the standard 1 to improve battery life, which is a shocking 18 months to 2 years. This is why I store it with the crown pulled as I wear it very rarely.

This is a watch I got due to my interest in the movement, the design is incredibly fussy and the dial can be difficult to read in many circumstances, it does provide a very 3 dimensional effect though as it has so many levels to it from the chunky applied indices and rails going from 1-5 and 7-11, the date window surround to the seconds track being a mm or 2 off the dial at the top of whatever rehaut may be there. The second hand has the double P / infinity precisionist logo as a counterweight and the hour and minute hands are slightly beveled with a flat top.

The case has a whiff of nautilus about it with it's big 'ears', the nicest feature is probably the crown which is signed and has lovely curved knurling. The bracelet is hmm, feels cheap but is serviceable and does the job of keeping it on your wrist. 

Overall I keep it because I find the movement to be perhaps the ultimate expression of pure quartz, it's reputed to be very accurate although no firm data is available as to whether there is any thermo compensation so it may not be 'the most accurate' I only wear it at most a few days a year to justify it's place as, as noted, I find the design to be 'not great', it is however one of the better bulovas with the 16hz tick, so it stays.

4-AAB398-D-4-C14-4558-9984-A775248-EB420

• Like 7