• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Cassius Longinus

Do you have a cheap automatic watch serviced?

Good morning everybody,

I am thinking about buying a cheap automatic watch with complications (chronograph, lunar phase, or the like)

Do you have such a watch serviced? Or do you just buy a new one when the time for a service comes?

Do you spend, say, £300 for the service of a watch with some complications you have paid, say, £400 or £500?

Or are there cheaper ways to get these watches serviced?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks to all in advance

Cassius Longinus

Interesting question. When I first read "cheap automatic" I imagined a Chinese £50 jobbie, which I would certainly not spend £300 servicing. I have a few £500 automatics (mainly Swiss) which I treasure and when/if it comes to it, I will of course have serviced. Yes I could theoretically buy another or similar one instead but I would want to keep that watch and most services would be well under that purchase price. And some that you see coming back from a good service look absolutely back to brand new!

I have plenty of auto watches I would call cheap that have never been serviced, some in 30 years. They are still going to my absolute satisfaction and quite accurate. I do rotate my watches and don't have a constant 'daily wear' though. I guess to answer your question, it would all depend on how much value you attach to that watch, sentimental or otherwise.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1