• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Incoming SARB033

Well i had to get one eventually...just to see what all the fuss is about. Its boxed papered and unworn. Will make a nice daily partner to the SACM 171. Pics to follow. Nig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope you like it as much as the hype.

To be honest with you I own one and I think they are a stunning watch for the money.

I bought a SARB033, SARB017, SARB035, and a SARB065 and have not worn any of them (all boxed, papers and unworn), I bought them purely as a long term punt, and because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

I prefer the 033 as I like a metal bracelet, and I prefer a black dial, however, the 017 and the 065 are a good looking watches, still not sure about the dial colour on the 035.

I am sure you will like the 033, it does punch well above it's price.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I am sure you will like the 033, it does punch well above it's price.

I agree , they are a lovely looking watch and keep very good time . I have owned the 033 , but later sold it , which I still regret to this day .

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures when it arrives , Nigel , a lovely addition IMO .:thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Thanks lads, im not sure whether the bracelet will be a good fit on the wrist as there is no micro, so ive been looking around for a strap. Theres loads on offer and even a full article by watchgecko so ive gone for one of their vintage pull up leathers in dk brown. Any thoughts appreciated. I just thought one of these might look good?

and it wont break the bank

https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-winchester-leather-watch-strap?gclid=CjwKCAiA-P7xBRAvEiwAow-VaW7nD58TuowDehyPVDzSWtPaxIe2RTLnyF_tbcU4gNm56EWZ2UZBiRoCrw4QAvD_BwE

not sure how representative the colour is it might be more a mid dark tan

std-wbg-front-polished-db_1.jpg?canvas.width=1000&canvas.height=1000&canvas.color=ffffff&w=1000&h=1000

sarb.jpg

Edited by Nigelp

I’ve been so close to buying a 033 or 035 so many times, but never actually gone through with it. Hope you enjoy your 033 Nige

• Thanks 2

They are excellent.  Seiko should not have stopped making them. 

I frequently compare them go the Rolex Datejust, which is 10x more expensive. 

• Like 1

Ive watched the videos on yt and in one comparing the 033 to a GS the end links on the 033 looked to fit better. Theres loads of aticles about them too. It does seem odd that seiko ended production. Mines a 2017 not cheap now though are they? Im not sure what they were when in production but mine off a private sale boxed and papered with tags etc was 350 quid. Which according to consensus of opinion is still a bargain for the quality. When they do come up they seem to go so i didnt muck about with offers. 

• Like 1

Nigel,  I see it as a dress watch so if you are putting a strap on it ( I would keep it on the metal) its needs dress strap imo , croc, ostrich ,buffalo, shark ?

deano

p.s don't they refer to them a baby GS?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Ive watched the videos on yt and in one comparing the 033 to a GS the end links on the 033 looked to fit better. Theres loads of aticles about them too. It does seem odd that seiko ended production. Mines a 2017 not cheap now though are they? Im not sure what they were when in production but mine off a private sale boxed and papered with tags etc was 350 quid. Which according to consensus of opinion is still a bargain for the quality. When they do come up they seem to go so i didnt muck about with offers. 

I was very tempted after visiting the watchgecko website some time ago, and if attractive watches were my thing I would definitely find one.  I am more the ugly watch guy.

* 'ugly-watch guy', as opposed to the 'ugly watch-guy'

Edited by Jet Jetski
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I liked mine a lot but could never quite get the bracelet to fit. The tiny touches of lume are a joy. Excellent attention to detail. 

• Like 2

It arrived this morning. I promise i wont call it a baby GS @deano1956:biggrin:. But the feel and quality along with the looks is incredible even if it was a 1500 quid watch, i still think it would be remarkably good...even at 2 grand? Well ive had a few that cost in the region of 1500 like the LLD, Ball Hydro Carbon, a few Omegas, but they were vintage, so it would be unfair on those to paralell a new watch comparison as the game moves on...no doubt. The case fit finish, crown, dial, crystal are faultless. The SELs fit bob on. The bracelet links are a good. The clasp is ok but with a gap....

Then you consider this wasnt 2 grand it wasnt 1500 it wasnt even 500. These were a tad under 300 quid. The movement looks good through the sapphire case back. The dial is ar sapphire. It hacks...it hand winds...its got a great power reserve...lume is excellent. It looks feels and handles...well lets just say it most certainly begs a few questions of some of the watches ive paid lots for. Ok ive not had a rolex or an omega AT etc etc etc. So i cant comment. But seiko did this one all for 250 quid new. Thats got to be pretty charitable of them. The Grand Seikos at many thousands must be made like the crown jewels and so must the Rolex and Omega etc etc. If this can be this good for less than 300 notes when new. Then the watches costing thousands must be breath takingly good. 

1581433347826957258463.jpg

1581433381356-1939293607.jpg

1581433402012275581164.jpg

15814334266171026320004.jpg

1581433451708-552394674.jpg

1581433473832-784929226.jpg

1581433491611-1084159130.jpg

1581433511862543171742.jpg

158143352604180015988.jpg

1581433549507-1808291629.jpg

Some people class it as a dress watch. I dont its a 100m wr 3 hander with date. Id class it with the likes of the aqua terra its a slightly sporty daily wearer in feel. As the pic next to my sacm proves. 

• Like 4

Bracelet fit is spot on for me. 

1581435105670957258463.jpg

1581435122475-1939293607.jpg

I can slip my little finger between wrist and bottom of clasp and its still not sliding down my arm. Comfy and secure. So i wont be using the strap at the mo as it feels good. Shame as the strap is excellent to.

1581435144138275581164.jpg

15814351631981026320004.jpg

1581435195826-552394674.jpg

1581435212822-784929226.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That looks great Nigel. I hope to have something similar but different to show you by the weekend, postage allowing.

I love a cliff hanger

:hmmm9uh:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, badgersdad said:

I liked mine a lot but could never quite get the bracelet to fit. The tiny touches of lume are a joy. Excellent attention to detail. 

Yes i remember yours. The last time i saw you wearing it you were on the train going into london or tube or something a few years back. I wondered what had happened to it. Have you still got the 62 mas reissue. Did you get the case sorted? 

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

Then you consider this wasnt 2 grand it wasnt 1500 it wasnt even 500. These were a tad under 300 quid. The movement looks good through the sapphire case back. The dial is ar sapphire. It hacks...it hand winds...its got a great power reserve...lume is excellent. It looks feels and handles...well lets just say it most certainly begs a few questions of some of the watches ive paid lots for.

it does here too, may be why they stopped making them and put the prices up on the presage lines ! I mean the clasp with milled fitting and not thin steel plate is quality above the costs .:thumbsup:

n joy deano

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, badgersdad said:

That looks great Nigel. I hope to have something similar but different to show you by the weekend, postage allowing.

I love a cliff hanger

:hmmm9uh:

You tease you. I wont try and guess it might spoil the suprise. 

2 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

it does here too, may be why they stopped making them and put the prices up on the presage lines ! I mean the clasp with milled fitting and not thin steel plate is quality above the costs .:thumbsup:

n joy deano

Thanks Deano. Im only just coming down from the general excitement of having something thats less than 50 years old, tells the time and doesnt mist up when my wrist gets warm:laugh:. And that was just when i got my sacm 171. In recent times my youngest watch as been older than me. 

But on a serious note yes i bet they stopped making them to price the newer ones properly. Whoever their accountant was who did the costings, probably also did lester pigots tax returns. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

doesnt mist up when my wrist gets warm

hey is this a "thing" as i thought I was seeing things when my Seiko does this, well I think that's what it is ? I am never sure of its the flat glass in certain lights of oils on the outside , its weird as its not there al the time ?

deano

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

Yes i remember yours. The last time i saw you wearing it you were on the train going into london or tube or something a few years back. I wondered what had happened to it. Have you still got the 62 mas reissue. Did you get the case sorted? 

The 62 mas a-like is a gonner. Sold it for parts. :(

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, deano1956 said:

hey is this a "thing" as i thought I was seeing things when my Seiko does this, well I think that's what it is ? I am never sure of its the flat glass in certain lights of oils on the outside , its weird as its not there al the time ?

deano

the old ones tend to do it, especially the seikos that were water resistant as the crystal is sealed but the case back seal and case back generally isnt any more not properly unless its a fully pressure tested diver. Also the old swiss watches that have been water proof are the same. The ones that havent been are ok because the water just runs out throught the top of the crystal ring and they dont mist up. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Had the bracelet off this to do some cleaning. Thought id put some pics on of between the case lugs and the sels and their fit. Rather good!

20200212_090115.jpg

20200212_090133.jpg

20200212_090158.jpg

20200212_090222.jpg

20200212_090246.jpg

20200212_090256.jpg

20200212_090355.jpg

20200212_090524.jpg

20200212_090557.jpg

20200212_090551.jpg

20200212_090557.jpg

20200212_090610.jpg

20200212_090625.jpg

Note how the sel holds on a full case to sel interference fit and tab all the way across rather than little tabs at the sides. Much stronger fits better and will not mark the under side of the lugs. 

The hidden case between the lugs including the inner lugs is dressed and polished stainless no cutting marks are left. Its all dressed and mirror polished stainless steel. That is quality.

Lume is pretty good too. 

20200212_091446.jpg

• Like 1