• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I was bought the following as a retirement present in 2007. I understand the battery lasts for 10 years as does the photo cell. The watch is still moving but slowly. I wondered if anyone had tried changing the battery on one and if so any problems. Or is it a case of it has done more than its time and that's it. I currently have it under two lamps trying to revive it and research says 120 hours for a full charge but a lot less for a day or two's charge. It is kept in a cupboard for long periods but has always been working on the days I wear it.

IZRgQnX.jpg

12 minutes ago, niveketak said:

I was bought the following as a retirement present in 2007. I understand the battery lasts for 10 years as does the photo cell. The watch is still moving but slowly. I wondered if anyone had tried changing the battery on one and if so any problems. Or is it a case of it has done more than its time and that's it. I currently have it under two lamps trying to revive it and research says 120 hours for a full charge but a lot less for a day or two's charge. It is kept in a cupboard for long periods but has always been working on the days I wear it.

There's a few YouTube videos of battery replacement.

• Thanks 1

You need to get bright daylight on it, even 'bright' lamps don't have the candles.  I think of a bright lamp like a Bunsen burner.  The Bunsen flame is hotter than a camp fire flame, but you wouldn't cook soup for six people on it!

IMHO

(I give my solar watches a spell of sunbathing every spring)

Edited by Jet Jetski
p.s. I am not looking forward to my Citizen AT 'dying'.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@niveketak Sunlight is key to charging the capacitors.  I’d leave it on a south-facing windowsill for a week and then see what it does.  If the capacitor has been run down for a long time it could lose its ability to hold charge, but do the windowsill routine for at least a week first.

• Thanks 1

Hanging on the clothes drier outside at the moment but will rig it up inside by a window. We don't have windowsills inside here in France as all the windows open inwards so its a mtter of fastening it to a handle facing outwards.

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

There's a few YouTube videos of battery replacement.

Simple enough to do by the looks of things. Bit surprised on that video that they say the battery lasts between 3 and 5 years as mine has done 13.

17 minutes ago, niveketak said:

Bit surprised on that video that they say the battery lasts between 3 and 5 years as mine has done 13.

My one is 12, and it still works fine.

• Like 2

I have stayed clear of solar watches just because of the light issues...this is not because I live in Scotland (contrary to what you might hear, it's not always raining up here)

it's because....I don't get out as much as I should (I'm not a vampire) so sunlight is in short supply for my wrist.

I hope it is a straight forward fix, it's not nice when a watch is poorly. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niveketak said:

Hanging on the clothes drier outside at the moment but will rig it up inside by a window. We don't have windowsills inside here in France as all the windows open inwards so its a mtter of fastening it to a handle facing outwards.

Simple enough to do by the looks of things. Bit surprised on that video that they say the battery lasts between 3 and 5 years as mine has done 13.

Although the general view is 10 years is the typical lifespan, I had an EcoDrive that lasted 15 years without any discernible loss in power - I sold it, so it may well still be going strong.  I have heard of 25 year lifespans before the power cell needed changing.

What I would say is that more modern EcoDrives have better photovoltaic cells, so charge better.  I imagine that power cell/capacitor technology has improved also.  Today the system uses a rechargeable lithium-ion power cell.

• Like 1

Well latest from the poorly corner is after 5 hours of daylight it is ticking away again and has kept time so far. Will leave it for 2 or 3 days and hopefully it has just been a case of too long off the wrist.

2 minutes ago, niveketak said:

hopefully it has just been a case of too long off the wrist.

Does it go to "sleep" ? I had one that did, and my solar Casio does if it is left in the dark.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Does it go to "sleep" ? I had one that did, and my solar Casio does if it is left in the dark.

I'm sure  I read somewhere they go into power save mode and tick every two seconds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobJ said:

I'm sure  I read somewhere they go into power save mode and tick every two seconds.

Tick every two seconds on my eco-drives means they need charging.

On one, the second hand stops when it's dark. A bit weird when you push back your sleeve and the second hand whizzes round to where it should have been.

I keep mine under a daylight lamp that is usually on when I'm working. Seems to keep them going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobJ said:

Everything stops on mine, the hands go whizzing round if you sneak up on it in the dark and turn the light on. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Maybe so, whatever the reason I am glad its working again. Its a bit scratched but it mean a lot to me.

• Like 1

19 years on this one always had a charge at least once a month, noticed the 2 second skip a few months ago,new recharge battery fitted (not difficult)....Bob.

2016-12-09-10-16-29.jpg

IMG-0640.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1