• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Not long ago I purchased a Swiss chronograph bearing the brand-name 'Bose'. I was told it was made for the audio company by a well-respected Swiss maker but there's no sign of its origin other than 'Swiss Made'. It's a really nice, professional- looking watch and clearly not a cheap item or giveaway. I've asked Bose but their office couldn't find any trace of it so my question is: does anyone know just who made this watch?

11 minutes ago, Handsworth said:

Not long ago I purchased a Swiss chronograph bearing the brand-name 'Bose'. I was told it was made for the audio company by a well-respected Swiss maker but there's no sign of its origin other than 'Swiss Made'. It's a really nice, professional- looking watch and clearly not a cheap item or giveaway. I've asked Bose but their office couldn't find any trace of it so my question is: does anyone know just who made this watch?

If it's anything like this one they appear on gumtree/eBay for around £80-£90.

5d41a12e8c61572880332762

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Tazmo61 said:

I think these use the ETA G10.211 4 Jewel movement , used a lot by Tissot and some other brands .

That's interesting as my immediate thought when I first saw the watch was it looked like a Tissot.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Handsworth said:

. I've asked Bose but their office couldn't find any trace of it 

If I understand this correctly , Bose are indicating these watches are nothing to do with them !?

Hence are these IP infringement watches .... [ awaits the potential locking of this thread ]

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Strange then that Bose UK can't find any internal references for these ... !?!?

There is a company currently advertising corporate watches showing a watch with "Bose" on the dial. I had a genuine Victorinox watch with SDEA on the dial, the only thing I could find that these letters corresponded to was Scottish Drug Enforcement Agency. :huh: 

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Strange then that Bose UK can't find any internal references for these ... !?!?

yes john that is the question, certainly a trademark infringement if nothing to do with or authorised by  bose !

deano

Edited by deano1956
1 hour ago, kanab22 said:

That's interesting as my immediate thought when I first saw the watch was it looked like a Tissot.

Exactly what I was thinking...  Did/does Swatch allow Tissot to act as an OEM?  I suppose they must?

1 minute ago, deano1956 said:

yes jiohn that is the question, certainly a trademark infringement if nothing to do with or authorised by  bose !

deano

Odd that fakers would put Bose on a watch when they are not know for them - I could understand fake hi-fi stuff so branded, but a watch?  Even more so because as an American company Bose is known for being litigious.

Would be interesting to see the movement...

45 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

well john the logo on the watch is  the same ? even down to the R mark at the end of the E

deano

Image result for bose logo

I do hope your Tongue is pressed firmly in Cheek...:thumbsup:

I have been to many trade shows over the years and seen plenty of Watches with company branding on them im not sure any of the companies are claiming any part in being involved with the items other than advertising their products..

I guess it could be an area of confusion.

Edited by Speedy112
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, kanab22 said:

The movement the G10.211 is also known as the V8 ,

https://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/g10-211

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tissot+v8+quartz+chronograph&hl=en-GB&sxsrf=ACYBGNQlAD4ThJ48vKrQeq1qQbxZGdXAqw:1581173466488&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijjrGWmsLnAhUZQxUIHQtHAkgQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1366&bih=651

Edited by Tazmo61
2 hours ago, Tazmo61 said:

I think these use the ETA G10.211 4 Jewel movement , used a lot by Tissot and some other brands .

Done a bit of poking about

Movement: Swiss ETA G10.211 movement, 4 jewels.

Apparently a promotional watch.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Handsworth said:

As @BondandBigM mentions Switzerland has a several, of what are known as, "private label manufacturers" who will make a watch to your specifications. A lot of the smaller brands also use them.

Looks like a nice watch whoever made it!

1 hour ago, JoT said:

what are known as, "private label manufacturers" who will make a watch to your specifications

Yes I agree , there are private label manufacturers , who do use ETA movements , quartz and mechanical . It would not surprise me if one of these companies have produced it . :thumbsup:

Edited by Tazmo61
22 hours ago, Tazmo61 said:

I know diddly about quartz movements, but "V8" may appear on various ETA movements, e.g. this 7j 955.124 in one of Mrs B's efforts where V8 can also be seen on the green plastic circuit board at 3 o'clock.

Regards.

Rotary Quartz ETA 955.124 v.2.jpg

T

5 minutes ago, Balaton1109 said:

I know diddly about quartz movements, but "V8" may appear on various ETA movements, e.g. this 7j 955.124 in one of Mrs B's efforts where V8 can also be seen on the green plastic circuit board at 3 o'clock.

Yes , I have seen v8 also on other movements but the G10.211 movement inside some chronographs , especially Tissot and some others have given the name V8 to their chronographs . That was the reason why I posted this link , Tissot V8 chronographs .https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tissot+v8+quartz+chronograph&hl=en-GB&sxsrf=ACYBGNQlAD4ThJ48vKrQeq1qQbxZGdXAqw:1581173466488&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijjrGWmsLnAhUZQxUIHQtHAkgQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1366&bih=651

2 hours ago, Tazmo61 said:

T

Yes , I have seen v8 also on other movements but the G10.211 movement inside some chronographs , especially Tissot and some others have given the name V8 to their chronographs . That was the reason why I posted this link , Tissot V8 chronographs .https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tissot+v8+quartz+chronograph&hl=en-GB&sxsrf=ACYBGNQlAD4ThJ48vKrQeq1qQbxZGdXAqw:1581173466488&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijjrGWmsLnAhUZQxUIHQtHAkgQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1366&bih=651

I should have added that 'V8' on a movement means it was produced under the responsibility of ETA . The V8 watches are a line of Tissot watches . After reading my post I have noticed I have not made this clear and it was too late to rectify it . The G10.211 is a movement that is also used in the Tissot V8 line , is what I should have said  . Apologies for any confusion . :ooops:

Edited by Tazmo61
  • Thanks 1