• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Darrel22

Omega or Rolex

10 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

the AT on the other hand shouts out "luxury watch" and has real presence. 

Which is exactly the reason I wouldn't have one. Understated elegance is a far better alternative.

rich-360x242.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Call W bruford in Eastbourne to see if they still have the brand new white dialled OP in stock .. :-) 

After send an email they  said that the blue dial Rolex   would be in showrooms in 10 days ,  On the site there is know way of  paying   for any of there Rolex Watches it only shows the price and details of the watch.

I get the feeling they want me to go in the showroom to look at watches but I really don't want to do that I  just want to order online  and get it delivered .

3 minutes ago, Darrel22 said:

After send an email they  said that the blue dial Rolex   would be in showrooms in 10 days ,  On the site there is know way of  paying   for any of there Rolex Watches it only shows the price and details of the watch.

I get the feeling they want me to go in the showroom to look at watches but I really don't want to do that I  just want to order online  and get it delivered .

You can't buy new Rolex or Tudor online. You have to buy in person.

You can only buy pre-owned online ( which I would not do if it was a gift ).

So if its new online , they you will have to go Omega....

Is that because they don't want to risk it getting lost in delivery ? Would they except payment over the phone and I can just  collect it at the shop.  

1 minute ago, Darrel22 said:

Is that because they don't want to risk it getting lost in delivery ? Would they except payment over the phone and I can just  collect it at the shop.  

No it's because they are not permitted to under the terms and conditions of their contract with Rolex.

I am pretty sure they are not allowed to take phone payments on Rolex watches either.

4 hours ago, julian2002 said:

I'd definitely be sounding the recipient out about which he prefers and if he even wears (or would wear) a watch. Of the two mentioned, for me, it's a crapshoot, for good or ill the Rolex has more cachet amongst the hoi-poloi which may make it more preferable to your brother (or just make him a target for thieves), the Omega flies more under the radar with the masses, however a certain Mr Bond is changing that. It is probably the better watch from a technical standpoint if that makes any difference but it's not a Rolex, and to some that's all that matters.

Personally for the ~5k you are looking at spending I can think of many other watches I would rather receive, however Omega and Rolex are the 'Names' that most would associate with 'nice watches' starting at this price point whereas Ulysse Nardin, Zenith, Grand Seiko, IWC, Panerai, JLC or Vacheron don't mean much to the vast majority of the population (ok I had to stretch to 2nd hand for some of those but...).

"hoi-poloi", "the masses", "nice watches" ..... blimey talk about elitist language :laugh:

Nothing wrong with Rolex or Omega at the end of the day it is about personal choice, I don't like modern Ulysse Nardin most of them are too big and/or garish, with the exception of the Chronomaster Revival Zenith have lost the plot completely, Grand Seiko I would be concerned about holding its value (given that's a parameter from the OP), IWC I like the Ingenieur Automatic IW357002 nice size at 40mm and a throwback to the 1950's, I wouldn't have a Panerai if you gave one to me, I like the JLC Control Date but if you don't like silver dials hard luck and as for Vacheron prices start at £10k for the Fifty Six Self Wind (and it ain't so nice).

There's a reason Omega and Rolex are successful and popular with the masses :laughing2dw: 

10 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

they typically shed stock at cost+50% to them

even the speedies?

5 minutes ago, JoT said:

Ingenieur Automatic IW357002 nice size at 40mm

deffo

Omega make more models that appeal to me, like BMW make more models than Mercedes that appeal to me and always have right back to the 80's. Like Mercedes I think Rolex are for the older Gent. More Conservative and more conservative. 

which means it would be the AT all day for me. Much much much much prefer them to the rolex. Like comparing these....

Image result for bmw e24 635csi

Image result for merc 560sec

the older man would no doubt have the rolex and the 560sec...the younger man? The AT and M6 

....because he doesn't really want to wear his dads watch yet....or drive his dads car. 

Edited by Nigelp

You can put it to music too

this would be rolex dj music

this would be omega AT music

Im watching Apollo 13 to...try doing that with a Rolex on and not wanting an Omega. :)...

1 hour ago, Darrel22 said:

Surely you wouldn't want to miss out on the whole "Rolex AD Experience"..

All the machine coffee you can drink and the dodgy flute of cheap Prosecco...

Plus the feeling that they have done you a massive favour for even considering you a suitable candidate and allowing you to purchase one of their cherished pieces...

It truly is a humbling experience....:thumbsup:

Ps.. I remember when I first tasted the experience some 35 years ago my then wife to be was presented with a beautiful bunch of flowers... 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

You can put it to music too

this would be rolex dj music

this would be omega AT music

:)...

Both appaling. :band:

7 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

All the machine coffee you can drink and the dodgy flute of cheap Prosecco...

Plus the feeling that they have done you a massive favour for even considering you a suitable candidate and allowing you to purchase one of their cherished pieces...

It truly is a humbling experience....:thumbsup:

Ps.. I remember when I first tasted the experience some 35 years ago my then wife to be was presented with a beautiful bunch of flowers... 

Are you being sarcastic ! All I wanted to do was buy a relative a birthday gift I really don't care to spend my time in a shop looking at lots of watches,  if they don't take my order over the phone I will probably not order the watch,  I have not heard anything as ridicules as not being allowed  to order online or over the phone I thought that was a given in theses times. 

3 minutes ago, Darrel22 said:

Are you being sarcastic ! All I wanted to do was buy a relative a birthday gift I really don't care to spend my time in a shop looking at lots of watches,  if they don't take my order over the phone I will probably not order the watch,  I have not heard anything as ridicules as not being allowed  to order online or over the phone I thought that was a given in theses times. 

No one is being sarcastic. 

So, here's my 5 cents worth... every independent watchmaker I've ever spoken to says Omega are better quality watches than Rolex.

Still, having said that I'd like to be sporting a Rolex Submariner on my wrist once in a while...

Then again a nice Omega Speedmaster would look great too...:yes:

6 minutes ago, RoddyJB said:

So, here's my 5 cents worth... every independent watchmaker I've ever spoken to says Omega are better quality watches than Rolex.

Still, having said that I'd like to be sporting a Rolex Submariner on my wrist once in a while...

Then again a nice Omega Speedmaster would look great too...:yes:

And you could then have a BmW.

And a Mercedes. :laughing2dw:

Just like your granddad.

mercedes_unimog_01.jpg

0% apr too. 

mercedes-benz_100681902.jpg

Free CD too i believe.

Edited by WRENCH

45 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

Seriously , you won't get that at W Bruford ... Simon the Rolex guy is not of that breed.

Great guy , great dealership .... 

I know EXACTLY what you are referring to and have experienced it myself in Southampton and London , but was really surprised by the guys and gals in Eastbourne....

23 minutes ago, Darrel22 said:

The ridiculousness is dictated by Rolex , who are not a public limited company , but instead a secretive private trust. 

If you think their system is a pile of **** , which of course in the 21st Century it is... then just buy an Omega.

Better watch and better customer service if you buy online.

:thumbsup:

Darrel ,

you want to buy a rolex but are looking on ebay ?

you want to buy a rolex but dont want to go in person to an authorised dealer ? 

you dont know if you want new or used ?

you want a rolex specific rolex but dont know much about fakes ?

the watch isn't for you.

with no back storey it is very difficult to take you seriously. also rolex is a very love / hate thing on this and many watch fora which never helps when trying to get a straight answer.

does your relation specifically want a rolex ? are you sure they want a wristwatch ?

guestimating your budget there are many many fine timepieces in your budget - we can help , but more background info would help us.

if you can afford to buy a rolex over the phone - ok thats not such a big deal - but then you an add an hour to a trip into town , or send someone to do it for you.

ok, the champagne will be rubbish and the service incomprehensible  , but then you chose rolex didnt you ...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darrel22 said:

So you just want to buy a £4.5k Rolex without seeing it and gift it to your brother in the hope he'll like it? 

Good luck – I'm out of this discussion because you're a joker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

even the speedies?

deffo

Yep .... I will try and find the link for the latest AD to fall under the hatchet.... last time I looked they had Speedy Racings at 40% off ... [ obviously the moon watches went probably the same say the deal got pulled ]

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Yep .... I will try and find the link for the latest AD to fall under the hatchet.... last time I looked they had Speedy Racings at 40% off ... [ obviously the moon watches went probably the same say the deal got pulled ]

Would be interesting to see what else they have.

21 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

latest AD to fall under the hatchet..

I'll stand corrected, but there are only 3 Rolex AD's North of Edinburgh, three have vanished over the last few years. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

Would be interesting to see what else they have.

lost the link , its down at the moment , but they only have 6 watches left , and four of those are Contellations ... Leonard Dews AD ...

two days ago they had about 20 watches ....

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

So you just want to buy a £4.5k Rolex without seeing it and gift it to your brother in the hope he'll like it? 

Good luck – I'm out of this discussion because you're a joker.

yes, there is know reason why he would not like it and even if he didn't I am sure he could sell it on , if  people thought your way know one would buy anything  online ,  you get to see it when it arrives and I have seen lots of pictures online of the watch . All I  was saying is I want to pay online or over the phone and I am quite happy to go in the shop and look at it and pick it up.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Darrel22 said:

yes, there is know reason why he would not like it and even if he didn't I am sure he could sell it on , if  people thought your way know one would buy anything  online ,  you get to see it when it arrives and I have seen lots of pictures online of the watch . All I  was saying is I want to pay online or over the phone and I am quite happy to go in the shop and look at it and pick it up.

What's wrong with paying for it when you pick it up at the shop ? Just out of interest. That's what I normally do without any problem, that way nobody has your funds before you get the watch, and it takes a lot of risk out of the purchase.

I like to know the payment has gone thought first  sometimes banks can mess you around at the worst times   . I guess I am so use to buying online I don't see any risk in paying upfront,  I even  got my new  car online  over  10 years ago which was quite a big payment  ,  I don't see any risk its not like the shop will some how try and rob me ? and I get protected from fraud from my card if they was a case . I guess its personal preference really, I could buy an omega watch around the same price online or over the phone  and know one would really care, just not a Rolex so I guess its been a bit of a learning experience , I might just get an omega watch instead . the only reason I  picked Rolex was because it was the only luxury watch I had heard of until using this site .

• Haha 1