• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Darrel22

Omega or Rolex

6 hours ago, Darrel22 said:

I could buy an omega watch around the same price

In my experience, going into a shop to buy an Omega gives you a much better chance when dealing face to face, of getting a decent discount.

7 hours ago, Darrel22 said:

I might just get an omega watch instead . the only reason I  picked Rolex was because it was the only luxury watch I had heard of until using this site .

:swoon:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

lost the link , its down at the moment , but they only have 6 watches left , and four of those are Contellations ... Leonard Dews AD ...

two days ago they had about 20 watches ....

They don't seem to blowing Omega out the door as they still list all the latest model at rrp. Maybe these are just selected in stock watches they are shifting. 

12 hours ago, JoT said:

"hoi-poloi", "the masses", "nice watches" ..... blimey talk about elitist language :laugh:

Nothing wrong with Rolex or Omega at the end of the day it is about personal choice, I don't like modern Ulysse Nardin most of them are too big and/or garish, with the exception of the Chronomaster Revival Zenith have lost the plot completely, Grand Seiko I would be concerned about holding its value (given that's a parameter from the OP), IWC I like the Ingenieur Automatic IW357002 nice size at 40mm and a throwback to the 1950's, I wouldn't have a Panerai if you gave one to me, I like the JLC Control Date but if you don't like silver dials hard luck and as for Vacheron prices start at £10k for the Fifty Six Self Wind (and it ain't so nice).

There's a reason Omega and Rolex are successful and popular with the masses :laughing2dw: 

Yes, Marketing.

As for 'elitist', spending 5k on a watch is pretty 1%.

What I was trying to say was that the watch you wear says something about you to other people, just like the car you drive and the house / area you live in. You may not actually BE that stereotype but wearing a rolex and driving certain types of german car will cause people to make assumptions about you. As the OP is buying this as a gift that works both ways, it reflects back and says 'this stereotype is how i think of you'. This is why I suggested he sound out his brother as to his preferences, if he buys the Rolex and inadvertently insinuates to his brother that he thinks he is an elitist old fat cat when he's more of the dynamic bond type that would prefer the Omega then that's not really a good thing. As for pointing out other brands, they were an example of similar priced watches available at that price point (as noted some would be 2nd hand like the VC)  that would either say something different from a stereotypical point of view or actually say nothing at all as they'd fly under most peoples radar.

58 minutes ago, julian2002 said:

Rolex and inadvertently insinuates to his brother that he thinks he is an elitist old fat cat when he's more of the dynamic bond type that would prefer the Omega

f2e62ac662b534184573d1b781bb69c9.jpg

rolex-james-bond-1565773711.jpg?resize=4

from-russia-with-love-gq-30jan19_b.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craftycockney said:

They don't seem to blowing Omega out the door as they still list all the latest model at rrp. Maybe these are just selected in stock watches they are shifting. 

sorry , yes that was the wrong AD , like I said , the link is lost ,,, ( I have a 2 day refresh on history ) ,, will try and find the dealer and post the link ...

2 hours ago, Craftycockney said:

Got it :

https://www.guestandphilips.co.uk/omega/watches/

11 hours ago, Darrel22 said:

I like to know the payment has gone thought first  sometimes banks can mess you around at the worst times   . I guess I am so use to buying online I don't see any risk in paying upfront,  I even  got my new  car online  over  10 years ago which was quite a big payment  ,  I don't see any risk its not like the shop will some how try and rob me ? and I get protected from fraud from my card if they was a case . I guess its personal preference really, I could buy an omega watch around the same price online or over the phone  and know one would really care, just not a Rolex so I guess its been a bit of a learning experience , I might just get an omega watch instead . the only reason I  picked Rolex was because it was the only luxury watch I had heard of until using this site .

OK that's enough, thread locked

• Like 1
  • Haha 1