• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Darrel22

Omega or Rolex

I am look to buy a Rolex oyster perpetual   for a relative and I have been looked on places like Ebay  used market,  but  I am worried they might be fakes and I don't have the experience to tell  , So I would like some advise on what places in the uk  are safe to buy from? and if a should buy new from  AD or used?

I got my sub from watchfinder , they won’t be the cheapest but they are all checked over and come with a 12 month warranty and peace of mind imo

• Like 3

theres a few well know dealers second time around, watches uk spring to mind yes wf, but all pricey. but find a cheap rolex and i will find you a a chiropodist who laughs at defeat. 

• Haha 3

Narrow your search to what you think you want.
Just choose a reputable independent dealer there are hundreds to choose from in the UK..
Stay away from the social media forums with their tempting bargains unless you are 110% certain of what you are buying it’s a scammers paradise..
You will find the Oyster Perpetual at your Rolex AD New or Pre owned and I believe there is still one on the sales forum here..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy the seller first and foremost.  Google them, research them on social media and review websites, ask about them on forums.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Darrel22 said:

I am look to buy a Rolex oyster perpetual   for a relative and I have been looked on places like Ebay  used market,  but  I am worried they might be fakes and I don't have the experience to tell  , So I would like some advise on what places in the uk  are safe to buy from? and if a should buy new from  AD or used?

Call W bruford in Eastbourne to see if they still have the brand new white dialled OP in stock .. :-) 

• Like 1

Been looking to get a Rolex   oyster perpetual  39 for my brothers birthday gift,  but I was wondering what would be the best to get out of that and the omega aqua terra  ?   I don't know much about watchers  and only from looking online I came across the omega watches with a similar price range  ,  I also want a watch that will at less hold  most of its value over  time if possible .

Far from an expert on this but its my understanding rolex hold their value fairly well, im sure some on here can give a more detailed answer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Darrel22 said:

Been looking to get a Rolex   oyster perpetual  39 for my brothers birthday gift,  but I was wondering what would be the best to get out of that and the omega aqua terra  ?   I don't know much about watchers  and only from looking online I came across the omega watches with a similar price range  ,  I also want a watch that will at less hold  most of its value over  time if possible .

Omega is a better watch.

Rolex will hold more value over time.

I almost bought both , but ended up buying neither . If I chose tomorrow it would be the the Omega AT 39mm.

If you tried them both on , then the difference is obvious. The Omega is more of a sports watch , the Rolex is more of a "Gents" watch.

• Like 1

Rolex are good at holding value, but no watch can guarantee to hold its value.

I have never owned an Omega, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about this brand, I have always walked out of a shop without buying one as they just don't give me the 'fizz' like Rolex.

• Like 1

have you asked your brother which watches he prefers ?

buying for other people often a tricky business ...

Edited by Rotundus
there needs to be a reason ?
  • Like 4

of course,   omega is a better watch.   much like a Buick is better than a Caddy.   vin

The key is buy the Omega at the right price!

Rolex not likely to be discounted so it is what it is but if you shop around you can get around 30-40% off Omega's subject to model. For me this swing the value debate a little as the Omega will still retain a decent value going forward. Seamasters are a perfect example of that.

I once brought a Tag for my brother, he accepted the gift but never really liked it. Which was a result in the end because he gifted it back to me once he got the watch he wanted. So maybe go for the watch you like instead loool.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

The key is buy the Omega at the right price!

Rolex not likely to be discounted so it is what it is but if you shop around you can get around 30-40%

You won't get 30-40% of a new AT unless its an AD shedding the brand.

There are currently two UK ADs doing that , but once their stock is gone then the most you will get from an authorised dealer for a new model AT is about 10% and around 17-20% from a grey dealer.

The Oyster Pep on the other hand is on a 9 month waiting list for the two proper dial colours unless you want one of the old colours of purple or grey.

16 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

You won't get 30-40% of a new AT unless its an AD shedding the brand.

There are currently two UK ADs doing that , but once their stock is gone then the most you will get from an authorised dealer for a new model AT is about 10% and around 17-20% from a grey dealer.

The Oyster Pep on the other hand is on a 9 month waiting list for the two proper dial colours unless you want one of the old colours of purple or grey.

Whether they are 'shedding the brand' it still make a very decent purchase don't you think?

I did say shop around & subject model...

38 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

Whether they are 'shedding the brand' it still make a very decent purchase don't you think?

I did say shop around & subject model...

Absolutely ... They are shedding the brand because of the usual reason of games between manufacturers and their demands over display collateral compared to their competitors. From what I hear there are more Omega ADs to loose the brand in the coming months so 2020 is indeed a good year to shop  around. When ADs loose Omega they typically shed stock at cost+50% to them , which equates to 40% discount for buyers.

• Like 1

If I was buying for myself as a keeper between the two.... I would be looking for the best Preowned Aqua Terra I could find...

I am not going to play silly games and get caught up in anyone's hype for a bloody Oyster perpetual...people have lost their minds waiting or paying over RRP for these very ordinary pieces...

The Oyster Perpetual along with the Datejust up until the recent madness was a heavily discounted piece even from your AD 

There are bargains out there to be found.. I picked up a new unworn 116000..Blue 369 dial..2018 £2800 from a private seller locally.

He advertised it himself because his local dealer offered him £2500 for a brand new watch with full stickers in place and all documentation including the original purchase receipt.

The OP and the datejust were about 10% discount not so long ago it sure that’s a steep discount and it’s mostly specific OP models that are hard to get likewise the date just.  

Best option would be to buy the one you like most as it’s you who will be wearing it.  The OP is not one that’s going to shoot up in value so they are not too dissimilar in pricing.

46 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Best option would be to buy the one you like most as it’s you who will be wearing it.  The OP is not one that’s going to shoot up in value so they are not too dissimilar in pricing.

He’s not even the one who’ll be wearing it, it’s his brother :laugh:

36 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Unless he uses my tactic lol

Having brought my DJ41 at standard rrp, I would say the Omega's just seem to be better value money overall. I am like alot of others will jump on the Rolex rollercoaster of price inflation. People are bonkers to buy over retail but it's up to them I suppose.

I will stick what I know & what I see value in.

2 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

In that case just buy him a Parnis similar to the AT or OP and pocket the cash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

In that case just buy him a Parnis similar to the AT or OP and pocket the cash.

I was going to say … just buy him the cheapest one :laugh:

I'd definitely be sounding the recipient out about which he prefers and if he even wears (or would wear) a watch. Of the two mentioned, for me, it's a crapshoot, for good or ill the Rolex has more cachet amongst the hoi-poloi which may make it more preferable to your brother (or just make him a target for thieves), the Omega flies more under the radar with the masses, however a certain Mr Bond is changing that. It is probably the better watch from a technical standpoint if that makes any difference but it's not a Rolex, and to some that's all that matters.

Personally for the ~5k you are looking at spending I can think of many other watches I would rather receive, however Omega and Rolex are the 'Names' that most would associate with 'nice watches' starting at this price point whereas Ulysse Nardin, Zenith, Grand Seiko, IWC, Panerai, JLC or Vacheron don't mean much to the vast majority of the population (ok I had to stretch to 2nd hand for some of those but...).

1 hour ago, julian2002 said:

Of the two mentioned, for me, it's a crapshoot, for good or ill the Rolex has more cachet amongst the hoi-poloi which may make it more preferable to your brother (or just make him a target for thieves), the Omega flies more under the radar with the masses,

I would say usually this is correct , but not with these two watches in my opinion. The Rolex OP has very little wrist presence and certainly does not stand out much from afar, the AT on the other hand shouts out "luxury watch" and has real presence.