• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I've been wearing my Steinhart Ocean GMT 39 for a couple of weeks now and find it hard to take off and change.

It never used to be like this and now the other watches cower in their plush box wondering what's going to happen next.. 

Could this be the dreaded one watch syndrome, possibly more dangerous than the current virus going round (Cue dramatic music) 

IMG_20200212_214717.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ong said:

I've been wearing my Steinhart Ocean GMT 39 for a couple of weeks now and find it hard to take off and change.

It never used to be like this and now the other watches cower in their plush box wondering what's going to happen next.. 

Could this be the dreaded one watch syndrome, possibly more dangerous than the current virus going round (Cue dramatic music) 

IMG_20200212_214717.jpg

That looks like a solid watch indeed I can't blame you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ong said:

the dreaded one watch syndrome

I am having a close shave with this - came home from work and changed back into it.  OHN

No photo description available.

maybe I should clean it, after all, I have the Cape Cod ...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, royalwitcheese said:

To be honest it's all the watch you could ever need. 

Thanks, that's what I've been thinking. I went back to a basic need for a Swiss movement 25J, bezel, jubilee style etc     

Edited by ong
  • Like 1

@ong I go through phases where I wear the same watch for a few weeks, then it starts to worry me ....... and I change over! Sounds like the change might be imminent :laugh:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JoT said:

@ong I go through phases where I wear the same watch for a few weeks, then it starts to worry me ....... and I change over! Sounds like the change might be imminent :laugh:

Ah, I may have the same issue, been there, done that etc, now looking for benchmark quality that the Steinhart has. 

Hopefully I'll get up tomorrow and fancy something different.... 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ong said:

Could this be the dreaded one watch syndrome, possibly more dangerous than the current virus going round

I've got it, :bash:

large.15803907615966692561614694480389.jpg.fd5c347f3d5388991495d7313fbd8cb0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, royalwitcheese said:

To be honest it's all the watch you could ever need. 

Needing watches has got nothing to do with needing a watch lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I've got it, :bash:

large.15803907615966692561614694480389.jpg.fd5c347f3d5388991495d7313fbd8cb0.jpg

Think I know why.. 

2 minutes ago, Cyclops930 said:

Good grief pull yourselves together have you all gone :crazy5vh:

No, we're all here but no doubt watches out after so many years etc.   Cue @Nigelp  for comment methinks. 

• Thanks 1

Similar issues with this, once it goes on it can stay on for days, if I'm going away for a few days it comes, if in in a rush it goes on...

IMG_20191216_063739

It's not a bad thing, all my watches get worn in rotation but this does it all so sees the most light of day.

Once I've prized it off my wrist though, my others feel sooooo different, more special, vulnerable but  I notice the differences more so all are ultimately enjoyable; I enjoy the others more for wearing them less frequently if that makes sense.

Force yourself to rotate!!!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Wait until you get to the state where you no longer feel the need to even wear a watch... I've been like that for nearly a year now...

BAN HIM!!!   :bash:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think it must be catching! I’ve been going through a similar period with this:

87-A5-A0-AF-A500-43-D5-AC0-B-266-A83989-

It is the first time I haven’t felt the need to rotate watches, I have been trying to force myself, but keep picking this up first!!

6 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Similar issues with this, once it goes on it can stay on for days, if I'm going away for a few days it comes, if in in a rush it goes on...

IMG_20191216_063739

It's not a bad thing, all my watches get worn in rotation but this does it all so sees the most light of day.

Once I've prized it off my wrist though, my others feel sooooo different, more special, vulnerable but  I notice the differences more so all are ultimately enjoyable; I enjoy the others more for wearing them less frequently if that makes sense.

Force yourself to rotate!!!

I can see why, it’s a stunning looking watch! :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I try and rotate mine but the quartz ones are getting ignored and the Air King too.

SMP gets the most wrist time probably :thumbsup:

20200212_134257.jpg

• Like 5

I think this thread title should be changed to "First World Problems"...... :laughing2dw:

Reminds me of our recent ski holiday, we were all sat around the dinner table and my mate's little girl (aged around 8 I think) suddenly announces "I need a new iPhone, the battery life on this one is no good!" :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

pffff, it's just the honeymoon period, give it another few weeks and you'll be back on ebay and C24 looking for the next 'precious' and rotating round your wrist bling every week / day / hour, like the rest of us.

10 hours ago, ong said:

No, we're all here but no doubt watches out after so many years etc.   Cue @Nigelp  for comment methinks. 

I know what @Nigelp would probably say. But ignoring him for a moment this morning and giving the real Nigel a chance....I think in your opening comments you have shown this....Our forum, us and our watches. They are like the preface of a book when we join. Which we both did we joined the start of the novel a long time ago. 

As individual members we all start with the same preface from the same book when we join. However if asked we would all give a different account of the authors meaning. 

We are then taken along by the Author through chapters containing plots and sub plots and the author tries to impress on his constant readers his views.

By the final chapter the author readies to intentionally release his constant readers. In order for them to reach their own conclusion. The author deliberately allows the mind of each reader to explode with ideas of their own about the ending, which are based on what the author has told them throughout the novel. 

By this late stage the readers at the intention of the author have formed their own ideas about characters and things in the story and are wanting to reach a conclusion. However inspite of the fact the author is now allowing his readers to form their own views ready for the final closing paragraph, the reader is still not alone. They have been influenced all along by the author. 

When the author hits the last key on the typewriter and punches the full stop. The readers are released and their mental explosion of ideas after being constrained by the author for all the chapters to the end brings a rush of adrenalin and freedom. A release.

Thats what nigel would say...

So just like the book and the author and the end. The forums author for you has  hit his last full stop. Youve made it to the end of the book and now that means you are on your own....with 1 watch. Now tell me how many watches did you have when you read the forum preface. If it was 1 watch then you are ready to pick up the next book. If not....and you had many watches back then....you have indeed reached the end.

@Nigelp would just say im in the same boat having got the sarb. 1 watch really is reaching the end of the book and regaining the plot. Enjoy your watch.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

Have you been sniffing permanent markers again Nige? :laughing2dw:

I did wonder about that myself.. Its so well written you'd think Nigel was the author in question and so vicariously liable for all our watch experiences. 

Having said that I'm still wearing the Steinhart Pepsi GMT.. 

IMG_20200213_151912.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ong said:

Its so well written you'd think Nigel was the author in question and so vicariously liable for all our watch experiences

Maybe we all are for each others? Along the way. We buy watches because we are persuaded to and sell them, or don't wear them. I guess there are all sorts of reasons for settling on a particular watch above others. It might be how our perceptions converge making up our mind that it feels best. However I wonder if we separate out the fibres of that feeling, then can we really be sure. Maybe the watch in questions ends up feeling like the 'one' because our minds have been instilled with the views of others. Maybe we cant distill those thoughts and feelings now to know what is truly our objectivity? Indeed can we be objective, we are human after all. I think im in the same elephant trap as you...im wearing a sarb and its 'practically' the best watch or so it feels. Whether thats my own true mind or one instilled none of us can be really sure. Im told a Porsche handles really well even though the engines in the wrong place. And then what happens? I go through a hedge backwards. However with our watches we can both be assured we won't be having the local farmer winch us out the field. 

26 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

Have you been sniffing permanent markers again Nige? :laughing2dw:

No :biggrin:

Though we do seem to have resolved a steiny is preferred to a rolex and seeing as im wearing a seiko maybe it is? Or maybe it practically is? Who knows. None of us do or we would never have got beyond 1 or 2 watches at a time. Maybe reaching the stage of 1 chosen one merely proves we are afraid to make any more mistakes. 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 1