UK Watch Forum banner

Smart watches useful or a fad

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  JELLI 
#1 ·
I have been looking at adding a new addition to my watch collection and seeing as I already have auto's , quartz and eco drives I thought a smart watch may be next for me .

I like the design of the Samsung gear frontier and also the gear sport

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Font

A round face is preferable to a square and I like the addition of the bezel .

The only worrying thing is would it get used to it's full potential. I joined a gym last month so the heart rate monitor will be useful also good to see the calories I am burning. As I am in a wheelchair I think the step counter would not work :laugh: but may be able to track movement of my arms.

I will be looking for a pre owned one rather than new .

I guess my question is to members that own smart watches do you use them to their full potential or would this be something that may just end up in the watch box with little wear also are there any other brands I should be considering

All pro's and con's greatly appreciated .

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I have friends who are obsessed with step counting, but they do it with an app on their phones. Having been for a four mile amble in the countryside, I was intrigued to learn we'd done 11000 steps and climbed 38 floors.

Designing a smart watch to look like a dumb one seems like filling a baguette with vegan meatballs. :biggrin:

#6 ·
Not for me... I have a phone that does that type of ****.

When I joined here I just had a few quartz Nixon's; I now have almost exclusively autos and a manual. I never understood what you lot meant by character / charm when talking about mechanicals. I pretty much wouldn't consider quartz now as it has no "heart".

For me, a watch means cogs.

#7 ·
Not for me... I have a phone that does that type of ****.
That is a very good way of putting it. I think half of the features on a smart watch I would not use as you say I have a phone for that .

Think my mind is made up and I shall pass on a smart watch . I may just look for a cheap heart rate monitor instead just for at the gym.

#10 ·
I have had a Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch since October 2018 and regularly wear it on my right wrist with my main watch on my left wrist. I thought to begin with I would wear it for a while then leave it, but I love mine. Easy to reply to calls and texts on screen - if you have small fingers you can type on screen- or with Samsung's speech to text "Bixby". You can save pictures and audio to it to listen to either via speaker on the watch or bluetooth headphones. The health and the sleep tracker are extremely accurate compared to my Fitbit Charge 2. Bluetooth connection is very reliable, I can have my phone downstairs and still receive notifications on the watch upstairs. Also, one of my favourite things is of course being able to change the wallpaper to my lovely Sir David!

Reactions: jsud2002
#18 ·
Many people on here have superb collections of watches, they cant wear them all at the same time so one could ask are they getting full value/potential out of them, the owners will say yes cos they collect them and it dosnt matter if they wear them once or twenty times a year, you have a collection yourself so just see it as adding to it!

#21 ·
Not quite the same as a full smart watch, but I have a garmin 735xt gps watch for running and cycling. I do a fair bit of trail running and it's great for that as you can upload the details and it shows masses of route details as well as heart rate, speed, pace, time etc etc. I like it a lot for what I use it for, but you can't change the dial I don't think.

A colleague at work has the Samsung gear3 which is nice in the flesh, a nice size, well made and you can customise the dial.

i like them both for what they do but wouldn't swap my proper watches for them. :wicked:

#23 ·
I hate smart watches almost as much as doctor google.

i have been to so many 'Cardiac Emergency' calls because Fitbit/Apple Watch/insert other brands here< said I had a fast heart rate and should see a doctor...so of ourse, that means call an Ambulance. My personal favorite was the cardiac arrest I was sent to, to be presented with Chinese £5 smart watch with 'heart beat sensor' - guess what, it wasn't working, and Dr Google told the patient that no heartbeat meant that they were in Cardiac Arrest. So a panicked 999 call reporting a witnessed arrest - every man and his dog was sent to that one....

one day, I will write a book explaining that Darwin was wrong and these people slip through.... natural selection isn't working!

#24 ·
I just don't get them... For ages the phone / tech companies tried to convince us that watches were obsolete, and TBH they have been for a whole generation of phone obsessed morons teenagers.

Then, the same companies bring out smart 'watches' many of which are mimicking chronographs!! You can't even use them independently without having your phone in your pocket (which does many of the same functions)..?!?

Ridiculous in my eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.