UK Watch Forum banner

"No more watches"

3K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  Jet Jetski 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How many have you said it?

Did you do it?

How long did you last?

What broke you?

I'm upto 15 with 1 incoming, a rather nice little Kickstarter... Then that's it for me!*

I've spunked money on them over the last 2 to 3 years, lots of ins and a few outs. I have all the watches that I need (like 14 too many!) and am so grateful and proud of my little ensemble

A recent lull work wise has made me realise that I can't just buy what I lust for. Time to love what I've got!

* The Bremont supermarine S501 is a bit special tho isn't it :yes:

#5 ·
Not bought anything for months but with 80 odd I have a lot to be going on with.

How many have you said it?

Did you do it?

How long did you last?

What broke you?

I'm upto 15 with 1 incoming, a rather nice little Kickstarter... Then that's it for me!*

I've spunked money on them over the last 2 to 3 years, lots of ins and a few outs. I have all the watches that I need (like 14 too many!) and am so grateful and proud of my little ensemble

A recent lull work wise has made me realise that I can't just buy what I lust for. Time to love what I've got!

* The Bremont supermarine S501 is a bit special tho isn't it :yes:
Lull workwise here too which has been a catalyst. Yes there are a lot of high end watches I admire but don't have a need for so thats it for the forseeable.

#6 ·
i have no plans for a new watch this year and that might stretch into next year im happy with what ive got at the moment . what i do have plans for is fitting a kitchen easter and a new bathroom next easter but what i have been doing is up grading my braclets with miltat offerings i am getting my fix from that at the moment .

#7 ·
None for me now for the best part of a year (apart from a freebie from @Davey P at Christmas). I have other interests now that I've retired, and will be looking to offload a lot more watches this year. Time has no meaning when you're retired, and you simply don't need to keep looking at a watch. Who cares what time it is... I don't anymore! :thumbs_up:

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Time has no meaning when you're retired, and you simply don't need to keep looking at a watch. Who cares what time it is... I don't anymore! :thumbs_up:
What`s time got do with anything?,I`m also retired & I collect watches just because I like them, simples :tongue:

Edit - I forgot to mention that I haven`t a clue how many watches I own :huh: :biggrin:

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Always said never any more than six.

Currently at five.

On the hunt at the moment, with one sort of for sale, not really bothered either way etc etc.

So for me at least, I have stuck to my ceiling of 6 and do sell to buy if I have to, to keep it at that.
That's a very sensible number!

My ceiling was 12 based on my old watch box .. then some idiot got me a 2 drawer 20 spot watch box which i interpreted into some kind of challenge!

As well as a fascination for watches, a love of variation and a bit of an addictive personality, I think my problem lies in that I haven't found my "grail", I thought my D Hodge was it, then my Tudor may have been, I think the Bremont could be and I also now think there's no such thing!

#11 ·
well I am at 13 with one for sale , I will stick to my 12 ,BUT with retirement looming very shortly I am not sure how it will pan out, as the venerable other members on here who are living the high life of retirement :biggrin: seem not to need any or very few watches ?

At this moment in time I am on the active hunt of a /one last retirement watch purchase for myself ( it will be a good un :laugh: ) ,

however in view of the above statement I do have a nagging doubt whether to spend the money or the necessity of still having 12 watches ?

deano

#41 ·
Yeah, and I know I can say "no" whenever I want. It's not a problem at all. Not at all. Honestly... :whistle: :laugh:

I just see all the cash I have thrown away and realise I could have bought a small island in the Caribbean :yes:
I try not to think about all the losses over the years :sadwalk: ...and I certainly don't tell 'anyone' about them... :cool: :laugh: :laugh:

i wonder how many of us really know what a good watch is? How many of us have worn the same watch for say 30 years? And never had another? The bloke over the road has he paid 100 quid for a quartz seiko in 1979 and its all he has...10 straps and goodness knows how many batteries later. It is still all he has. He bought it in Gibraltar when he was running UK trading standards out there.
That's the horological equivalent of Trigger's Broom! :laughing2dw: You'd think he'd be a bit bored with it after 40 years - or at least a relative or friend might have bought him something new for a significant birthday along the way? :hmmm9uh: Mind you, I know someone who bought a quartz Omega in 1982 and is still wearing the same today (don't know if he has any other watches - we never discuss it). :tumbleweed:

With 5 watches in it? That would be a rubbish shop. Like a Rolex AD.
Yeah, but think of the great customer service! :thumbsup:

#22 ·
Ive never really been a more than one watch man, i went 2 years with just a lognines HC when i joined. I find they irritate me if they are sat about, i get bored of them and end up just wearing a fave. For a long time it was the gold zenith now with @martinzx i loved that still do, but i still move on and im shallow i dont get attached to anything in life i can cut things dead and people if needed. Im good at walking away always have been, rarely sentimental and never any regrets. However ive worked on the 1 in 1 out principle which has wittled me down to two watches and i could easily live with just the sarb...problem is for the first time ive got a bit attached to a second fave in the sacm...but i don't intend to add a 3rd.

:biggrin: live and let live.

#25 ·
It is an eclectic mix of anything and everything. I buy what gives me the 'fizz' and that can be anything.

I own lots of Seiko Group watches, vintage (1960's 1970's) modern, old, manual, automatic, quartz and kinetic.

Rolex modern and antique (WW1 trench watches)

Gallet, Avia, Colant, Timex, Waltham, Elgin, etc, etc

But... the 'fizz' is everything, and that can be a £9.99 watch or a watch costing thousands.

A good watch is a good watch no matter its cost.

916UyKn-4QL._AC_UL1500_.jpg
17303046_3_640.jpg

#26 ·
i wonder how many of us really know what a good watch is? How many of us have worn the same watch for say 30 years? And never had another? The bloke over the road has he paid 100 quid for a quartz seiko in 1979 and its all he has...10 straps and goodness knows how many batteries later. It is still all he has. He bought it in Gibraltar when he was running UK trading standards out there.

#34 ·
I said no more than ten... Since then I bought a second box. The cap is now 16 and I have two spaces.

I have yet to discover what these last two are likely to be. I think my watch desease is in remission, I am in absolutely no hurry.

#35 ·
I said no more than ten... Since then I bought a second box. The cap is now 16 and I have two spaces.

I have yet to discover what these last two are likely to be. I think my watch desease is in remission, I am in absolutely no hurry.
Ok i will give bond an advantage. Which do you prefer as a witness your rolex submariner or your seiko presage. Thank you.

Without prejudice to the witness. The defence knows his is not quartz and is not on a bracelet.

#39 ·
My need for watches ebbs and flows. I'm at a fairly low ebb at the moment because I bought quite a few in a short space of time in December and I don't feel like I've had enough use out of them to justify buying more. I should have a clear out but most of my watches are probably worth around £50-£150 used, which is too expensive to sell them in job lots, but it's annoying to list them all individually.

#42 ·
Joined this forum owing two watches and looking for something special. Collection grew to around fourteen during my time here. Currently own six watches but in reality now only rotate between three on a regular basis. I have no real plans to buy anything new at the moment but like a few others, I find that I get bored from time to time at which point I suddenly fall in love with a watch and 'need' to buy it. I'm trying to operate a one in one out policy though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.