• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
sparrow

Out of my depth :'(

So, I removed the crown from the watch and attempted to remove the movement, only to realise (I think) that I would need to take it out from the front. At this stage, mission aborted, tried to pop the crown back in, but now it's only turning the hands whether in or out, and not turning the mainspring or staying in.

What have I done?!

Thanks in advance!

If you have undone the stem screw too much you may have undone part of the keyless works, often called the beak.  And the only access is by removing the hands and dial.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sparrow said:

So, I removed the crown from the watch and attempted to remove the movement, only to realise (I think) that I would need to take it out from the front. At this stage, mission aborted, tried to pop the crown back in, but now it's only turning the hands whether in or out, and not turning the mainspring or staying in.

What have I done?!

Thanks in advance!

don't worry,   next time  you will get it right.  my  procedure is to get the stem back in as soon as posable.   the crown gear can be easily upset. (one of the reasons the dial must be removed.)   good luck.   vin

On 15/02/2020 at 17:45, sparrow said:

I removed the crown

Often the trickiest bit is the first and last - stem removal and insertion.  When you pull out on the crown, a little nut is sent towards the centre of the dial in the opposite direction - engages with the setting gear for the hands.  When you push the stem in, this little wheel goes in the opposite direction, back towards the crown, propelled by a lever, and engages with the winding mechanism.  It appears this is no longer happening.  The lever is not engaged properly with the stem, or the keyless works are messed up.  Some watches, before pressing the stem release, or undoing the screw, you need to have the crown pulled out in the setting position first.  And if you press the stem release button too hard- ie follow through the plate - the setting lever can end up on top or underneath the bits which are supposed to engage with it - they are no longer co-planar.  

On 16/02/2020 at 14:54, vinn said:

next time  you will get it right. 

Unfortunately you will not necessarily get it right next time - I have about a 50% success rate after doing it 7 or 8 times - but you will get better, and you can reset the keyless works fairly easy if it is a well known movement - with luck there is a how-to on the net.  BUT tale pictures as you disassemble - the first 'how-to' I followed, the guy put one of the pieces back on upside down!  Luckily I spotted that by checking against my pictures.  The website was called amateur watch repairs I think - make sure you watch 'professional watch repairs'!  Don't lose this spring:

Spring-Bascula-Spring-Clutch-440-Kamha-3133

You can do it.

So far I have done a Pobeda a couple of times and more 3133 chronographs than I want to admit.

On 15/02/2020 at 19:22, scottswatches said:

If you have undone the stem screw

It may have a screw of course, not a button, as Scott points out.

1 hour ago, Jet Jetski said:

Often the trickiest bit is the first and last - stem removal and insertion.  When you pull out on the crown, a little nut is sent towards the centre of the dial in the opposite direction - engages with the setting gear for the hands.  When you push the stem in, this little wheel goes in the opposite direction, back towards the crown, propelled by a lever, and engages with the winding mechanism.  It appears this is no longer happening.  The lever is not engaged properly with the stem, or the keyless works are messed up.  Some watches, before pressing the stem release, or undoing the screw, you need to have the crown pulled out in the setting position first.  And if you press the stem release button too hard- ie follow through the plate - the setting lever can end up on top or underneath the bits which are supposed to engage with it - they are no longer co-planar.  

Unfortunately you will not necessarily get it right next time - I have about a 50% success rate after doing it 7 or 8 times - but you will get better, and you can reset the keyless works fairly easy if it is a well known movement - with luck there is a how-to on the net.  BUT tale pictures as you disassemble - the first 'how-to' I followed, the guy put one of the pieces back on upside down!  Luckily I spotted that by checking against my pictures.  The website was called amateur watch repairs I think - make sure you watch 'professional watch repairs'!  Don't lose this spring:

Spring-Bascula-Spring-Clutch-440-Kamha-3133

You can do it.

So far I have done a Pobeda a couple of times and more 3133 chronographs than I want to admit.

It may have a screw of course, not a button, as Scott points out.

Book verses video !  with the book ( spend money) you can study the project - refur back any time .   a student can " get it right the first time".   I won't even START  on the problems of the video.  you can do it !            vin

14 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

- I have about a 50% success rate after doing it 7 or 8 times -

You have no idea how much less of an idiot that makes me feel. :laugh:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spinynorman said:

You have no idea how much less of an idiot that makes me feel. :laugh:

Well knowing whether to withdraw it from the winding position or the setting position always throws in a bit of guesswork!  Quartz are a cinch by comparison.

3 hours ago, spinynorman said:

You reckon? I gave up with Seiko 7t32s after the third one fell to bits. :wacko:

I was talking only about withdrawing the stem!  If the watch falls to pieces as you withdraw the stem you are doing something wrong!

Edited by Jet Jetski