• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Rotary Super-Sports Information Help

I recently bought a Rotary Super-Sports from England. I will list what I think know about this watch. If I am wrong about anything please let me know and then I will get to my questions. I believe its a 1940, with an A. Schild 984/ 440 movement. 15 jewels. What I want to know; is it missing a tension ring at the crystal (bezel), is there a name for this case shape, could it have been an issued item for the war? Additionally is it wise to try to remove the lume that fell off the hands on to the dial, and is this a rare combination between the dial style with its markers in this case. I find very few examples of this watch.s-l300.jpg

Dear Jeremy, caution should prevail with regard to the lume, as Scott so wisely warns above. Touching or ingesting that sort of lume is to be avoided, even if the quantities involved might seem trivial.

The case shape of your watch is essentially "round" with no special name; it is the lugs that are slightly different from the normal run. As far as the date of the watch is concerned, I would put it at just post-War, perhaps nudging into the early 1950s, and I notice that there are plenty of Rotary Super-Sports illustrated online; I am not sure how long that particular "Super-Sports" branding was used by Rotary or when it was introduced.

• Like 1

Yeah I have an a-11 elgin and it's no problem to get info but rotary seems hard to nail down exact info. Wonder if it was the war making production fast or just the way rotary was. Rotary I know also left the swiss at some point and moved to Britain.

1 hour ago, JeremySlover said:

Rotary I know also left the swiss at some point and moved to Britain.

It was the Swiss registrations I found. They were generally well documented and easy to dig up online. Trademarks registered in other countries are much harder to trace once they expire. That's general, not specific to Rotary.