• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hump Day Wednesday WRUW?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAGD  

A NOS vintage 1970's Fairchild LCD  A wrist shot Thanks @scottswatches i love it! 

AP ROC:

Posted Images

Morning,

It’ll be this 1950s Burgana for today. Made by one of the von Burg families of Bettlach, this particular dynasty having their premises at Hofergässli. The company seems to have existed from 1946 until finally liquidated by an Edgar von Burg in 1997.

As is often the case, this watch was bought as a non-running wreck and, in this instance, with no case back but it was the movement which had grabbed my attention  -  the near legendary Ebosa-Matic, aka the 21j Ebosa 27 bumper, with the weight striking on steel pins rather than springs and what looks like a Neutro-Shock system. This pin-lever movement was apparently described in a 1952 edition of the German The Watch magazine as “a new Roskopf automatic” and more recently by Ranfft as “absolutely rare”.

And so the sorry shambles became mine, only to languish in a “pending” box for a couple of years until I had the courage to introduce it to my watchmaker.  As usual, I took the big tears running down his careworn face as gratitude and unbridled happiness. As usual, I was wrong. However, after some persuasion he set to with his trusty hammer and chisel, the accompanying images charting the journey from scrapper to wearer, which is no more than it deserves.

Regards.

Burgana before v.2.jpg

Burgana Ebosa 27 dis-assembled v.2.jpg

Burgana Ebosa 27 2019 v.2.jpg

Burgana after v.2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, Igerswis said:

AP ROC:

f10560aa47f3af9b950b50f1ec1c7701.jpeg

Sublime photo, and amazing watch too :notworthy:

4 hours ago, niveketak said:

Homage alert

ZfK1s27.jpg

Wow, I love it... Today wearing white dial too with black strap / lime stitching, to match the lime strips of my shirt LoL... Your watch will fit better, it is exactly what I need, I have to buy the same :thumbsup:

IMG-9170-1-1600x1200.jpg

IMG-9169-1-1600x1200.jpg

IMG-9171-1-1600x1200.jpg

• Like 11
2 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I now have an image of someone like Geppetto from Pinocchio. The man is clearly an uncanonised saint. :biggrin:

Well, if “uncanonised saint” is the same thing as “grumpy b*****d”, you’re pretty much spot on. However, to dispel any romanticised image you may have, here he is with a rare (and forced) smile after having made a part to resurrect a 1930s Bulova Jump Hour which a friend of mine in the States had sent to me as a last resort in the hope of a miracle from Mr Grumpy.

Another of his attributes is inherent laziness, preferring to sit on his ample bahookie all day doing nothing more than re-sizing watch bracelets or changing batteries, rather than putting his undoubted skills to proper use.

That said, we have a great relationship and I love him dearly, being only too aware that I couldn’t indulge my otherwise ruinous passion without him.

Regards.

Bulova.JPG

• Like 4