• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Lug

To remove or not to remove old engraving on 50's Rolex!

I don't think the seller accurately described the piece. If he had of done you could have decided whether to buy it being more fully informed. Personally it's not the most interesting of inscriptions. I've seen a pocket watch in the past which had been awarded for an act of bravery when someone had fallen into a harbour and been rescued by the recipient. That said it records the gifting of a watch from a son to his father and in fairness the watch might not have been new when it was inscribed. I would probably not have bought but then I am not active in buying that kind of piece.

For me the inscription would be a bonus and I'd definitely keep it. The refund is a second bonus! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

I don't think the seller accurately described the piece. If he had of done you could have decided whether to buy it being more fully informed. Personally it's not the most interesting of inscriptions. I've seen a pocket watch in the past which had been awarded for an act of bravery when someone had fallen into a harbour and been rescued by the recipient. That said it records the gifting of a watch from a son to his father and in fairness the watch might not have been new when it was inscribed. I would probably not have bought but then I am not active in buying that kind of piece.

To be fair most engravings are not too exciting "For 30 years service in the biscuit factory" Or something similar is the usual thing found:laugh:

I think people tend to like them for a number of reasons, 1. If you are trying to date a watch it will at least give you a fair idea of how old it is 2. It gives some authenticity to the watch.   Less likely to be of dubious provenance with a big engraving on the back 3. It gives some history to the watch (point 2 really)

16 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

To be fair most engravings are not too exciting "For 30 years service in the biscuit factory" Or something similar is the usual thing found:laugh:

I think people tend to like them for a number of reasons, 1. If you are trying to date a watch it will at least give you a fair idea of how old it is 2. It gives some authenticity to the watch.   Less likely to be of dubious provenance with a big engraving on the back 3. It gives some history to the watch (point 2 really)

I don't think it's a big deal. Had the seller accurately described the watch, it could possibly, unfairly, put someone off buying a "gem". As I said earlier, once it's on your wrist, you don't see it anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I don't think it's a big deal.

Me too!

Have plenty of old tat with inscriptions/dedications, which I personally prefer.

Generally found mine to be well cared for by previous owner/s.

Enjoy.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too would be on the side of keeping the inscription intact as it's part of the story of that watch.  :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Wasn't advertised correctly;y so see if you can get some of your £1500 back... 

Result! £200 back in my paypal!

11 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

Thats a great point re: authenticity of the watch based on the engraving! 

• Like 1

at one time i collected gold dress watches so i have quite a few with inscriptions,i like them as its all part of the watches history.a bit naughty of the seller not mentioning it but as the has given you some money back i would just enjoy the watch.its got great patina.

1 hour ago, greasemonk said:

at one time i collected gold dress watches so i have quite a few with inscriptions,i like them as its all part of the watches history.a bit naughty of the seller not mentioning it but as the has given you some money back i would just enjoy the watch.its got great patina.

Here's another you might like then - a gold plated 1920's cushion case, the engraving on this is super deep!

IMG_4591.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

• Like 1

Something worth mentioning perhaps.

If I was shelling out £1 1/2 k on any watch, I'd definitely be asking for some pictures covering all the watch, front, back, sides and strap/bracelet.

21 hours ago, Lug said:

Here's another you might like then - a gold plated 1920's cushion case, the engraving on this is super deep!

IMG_4591.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

thats a nice one ,its marking a happy occasion for some young man.i have a Garrard  presented to a gentleman for long service to a relatively local firm.the said gentleman had a unusual name so i googled it.i found his Obituary,spooked me just a little!.

5 hours ago, greasemonk said:

thats a nice one ,its marking a happy occasion for some young man.i have a Garrard  presented to a gentleman for long service to a relatively local firm.the said gentleman had a unusual name so i googled it.i found his Obituary,spooked me just a little!.

I can see that, i'd have done the same! We are all just custodians of old things, watches included, keeping them going and then passing them on. As you rightly mention this was a happy occasion and lives on through the watch. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lug said:

I can see that, i'd have done the same! We are all just custodians of old things, watches included, keeping them going and then passing them on. As you rightly mention this was a happy occasion and lives on through the watch. 

My own view on these, I used to avoid engraved case backs and I had a few watches like that.  The main reason was I felt like it was someone else’s history not my own so wasn’t comfortable with them.  For example if it was from one of my own family I would think completely different.

What perhaps changed was a friend who was given an old watch by a relative to sell as it “was no use to them so may as well get a few quid for it”. I guess I realised that these watches would end up just going to waste or worse still broken up for scrap gold and parts.

I do like now seeing the history it’s a bit of our own history and identity too.  The factories and people that worked in them. Not least these types of gifts are something that’s not really given or passed down these days.

I have an old stopwatch from my uncle who passed away a few years ago, it cost me more to have serviced than it’s worth but it was worth every penny.  Will never sell it.

I have a Dornbluth with my kids names engraved on it.  I always plan to buy another so they have one each to pass on one day.

2 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

I have a Dornbluth with my kids names engraved on it.  I always plan to buy another so they have one each to pass on one day.

Thats how I got started in the crazy world of watch collecting; wanting to have four nice watches that i'd leave to my kids! Still deciding which ones to leave them so lots of testing going on! :whistle:  

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 06:46, vinn said:

some collectors like script on the  case back.    I have a few.  vin

I  don't think the watch value suffers  -- exception:  I have  a very good Sieko with very rough " grinder marks " on 1/3 of the case back.  I will grind and polish that portion of the back.   I might sell or trade it.   see what happens.     vin