• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Lug

To remove or not to remove old engraving on 50's Rolex!

So i've just picked this 1957 6494 Oysterdate up - I was looking for one with a bit of patina to the face and I think it ticks that box. I paid £1500 quid for it which I thought seems reasonable

But when it turned up the seller had omitted the fact that it had an etched inscription on the case back - it looks like maybe the back has had a light polish at some point in its life, its not that deep.

But I am a bit peeved with the seller and toying whether to; A) send it back, B) just live with it and enjoy as is, or C) though not a great fan of polishing but get a good watchmaker to polish it out.

i'd welcome your thoughts - its not going to be resold any time soon but it would i'm sure take a knock on the resale value with an engraving.

IMG_4625.jpeg

IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4624.jpeg

some collectors like script on the  case back.    I have a few.  vin

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, vinn said:

some collectors like script on the  case back.    I have a few.  vin

Thanks, vin thats interesting to know. I guess some inscriptions can be worthy 

2 hours ago, Lug said:

Thanks, vin thats interesting to know. I guess some inscriptions can be worthy 

Personally I wouldn't bother about it. If it's something you intend to keep long term, (I would), then it doesn't really matter. When it's on your wrist you're not going to see it anyway, and it's part of the watches character.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Personally I wouldn't bother about it. If it's something you intend to keep long term, (I would), then it doesn't really matter. When it's on your wrist you're not going to see it anyway, and it's part of the watches character.

Yes, I do intend to keep it and i'm coming to that conclusion myself that this watch meant something to someone along the line and the inscription is as you say its character -

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Mechanical Alarm said:

I'm one that likes it and almost seek these out.

I have one, "From Priscilla to Elvis with Love". Think it's worth anything?

drive safely lol

• Like 2

I would keep the inscription but I agree a bit annoying the seller didn't say it was engraved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mechanical Alarm said:

I'm one that likes it and almost seek these out.

I have one, "From Priscilla to Elvis with Love". Think it's worth anything?

Not as much as my "from Liberace to Donald ".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

I like an engraving, as it adds to the history.  You have not bought a new watch so inscriptions should be welcomed. 

Yes, when I buy a watch I actively set out to own watches with patina, following on one could look at it that applies to inscriptions/engravings too! I really hadn't thought much of them until I made my post and my rather lowish opinion on them has altered somewhat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lug said:

6494 Oysterdate 

It's a very nice, and understated watch, and at 34mm perfect. I'd certainly have it as an everyday wearer, and if it has that worn in look and patina about it, it's not going to be "too precious".

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

I like an engraving. Cheeky the seller didn't say about it. Perhaps get in touch, discount maybe? Or just live with it!

I did send the seller a message a few days back and explained that I loved the watch but was disappointed that he forgot to mention the engraving - Just got back to me, he was pretty fair about it apologised for the oversight and is going to make a small refund. 

• Like 3

I'd definitely leave it - a watch that age has a story to tell and that's part of it I'd say.

Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned but it’s probably worth considering removing the engraving will also mean removing metal.  You probably need to balance how much you want it removed against any possible thinning of the case back.

If you want to keep it as original as possible keeping it would probably be the better option.

Like most Rolex prices are going up with these all be it not as much as others as they are pretty common and the 34mm size puts most people off but only a few years ago £1100 would get you a decent quality one.  All be it you like the patina on the dial etc it looks a bit rough I have seen better at a similar price.  If you are keeping it perhaps sending it to someone like Genesis for a light polish and service may be an option?

4 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned but it’s probably worth considering removing the engraving will also mean removing metal.  You probably need to balance how much you want it removed against any possible thinning of the case back.

If you want to keep it as original as possible keeping it would probably be the better option.

Like most Rolex prices are going up with these all be it not as much as others as they are pretty common and the 34mm size puts most people off but only a few years ago £1100 would get you a decent quality one.  All be it you like the patina on the dial etc it looks a bit rough I have seen better at a similar price.  If you are keeping it perhaps sending it to someone like Genesis for a light polish and service may be an option?

Thanks for the advice re: Genesis though pretty much decided now to keep as is and enjoy wearing it. Thinning of the case back was the first thing I thought of and was a bit off-putting. 

My crap camera phone is making it look rougher than it actually is I think. I've naturally shied away from redials, over polished cases, and re-luming, personally speaking warts and all watches, dinks to cases, spotty looking dials and aging/faded lume are preferable and after making this post my earlier low tolerance on engraving has changed. 

Not sure if its the same for others but I can be a fickle watch collector, craving some new / old timepiece, wear it for a bit, scratch that itch and then trade it for something else. Though i've wanted one of these 6494's for some time, its likely to be a keeper and really not so much as an investment piece. If I do eventually come to sell it then i'll leave it to the next person to make that 'remove or not to remove' call. Cheers

52 minutes ago, Lug said:

Thanks for the advice re: Genesis though pretty much decided now to keep as is and enjoy wearing it. Thinning of the case back was the first thing I thought of and was a bit off-putting. 

My crap camera phone is making it look rougher than it actually is I think. I've naturally shied away from redials, over polished cases, and re-luming, personally speaking warts and all watches, dinks to cases, spotty looking dials and aging/faded lume are preferable and after making this post my earlier low tolerance on engraving has changed. 

Not sure if its the same for others but I can be a fickle watch collector, craving some new / old timepiece, wear it for a bit, scratch that itch and then trade it for something else. Though i've wanted one of these 6494's for some time, its likely to be a keeper and really not so much as an investment piece. If I do eventually come to sell it then i'll leave it to the next person to make that 'remove or not to remove' call. Cheers

They are great watches, will post up a picture of mine when I get back.

• Like 1

I would remove it has it has no real significence to you. But that's just me.

3 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

My Rolex 6694 Oysterdate, great watches

NAEe36vl.jpg

Thats an attractive watch! I like the strap too

Just now, Lug said:

Thats an attractive watch! I like the strap too

Its a Rios ostrich strap, I dont use the bracelet too small for my wrist.

8 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Its a Rios ostrich strap, I dont use the bracelet too small for my wrist.

What year is your 6694?