• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Dan1845

18th Birthday Gift

Good evening all, New to all this but thought I’d see if anyone has any advice for me at all. Looking to buy my son a watch for his upcoming 18th birthday and clueless what makes etc to get and what to look out for. Looking to spend around £1k ideally and probably a metal strap. Any one willing to offer any guidance or advice, all greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

48 minutes ago, Dan1845 said:

Good evening all, New to all this but thought I’d see if anyone has any advice for me at all. Looking to buy my son a watch for his upcoming 18th birthday and clueless what makes etc to get and what to look out for. Looking to spend around £1k ideally and probably a metal strap. Any one willing to offer any guidance or advice, all greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Here you go, perfect for an 18th and a name your son will recognise. £1k new, quartz movement (simple), robust and a good looker.

I bought my son a Tag Heuer for his 18th

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/TAG-Heuer-Formula-1-43mm-Mens-Watch-WAZ1010.BA0842/p/17381197/

17381197_1_640.jpg

• Like 2

Perfect choice above.   If it doesn't tick any boxes then look at Oris, but Tag Heuer is the go to at this age.  My first decent watch was a Rotary aged 16, and then a Tag Heuer 4000 at 21.

And that started the slippery slope.  At least watches meant I had no money left for drugs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bought my son a Hydroconquest for his 18th. Somehow he hasn't lost it yet despite that being 3 years ago.

Here you go, perfect for an 18th and a name your son will recognise. £1k new, quartz movement (simple), robust and a good looker.
I bought my son a Tag Heuer for his 18th
https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/TAG-Heuer-Formula-1-43mm-Mens-Watch-WAZ1010.BA0842/p/17381197/
17381197_1_640.jpg

I have seen these Tag watches and recognised the name however being a total novice didn’t know if it was just he name you pay for it the watch’s are actually good also!

Thank you very much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
£1k is a real healthy budget. Not quite sure what I could suggest though. A longines hydroquest?

I have seen this brand crop up in searches but not one I have ever heard. Good make? Worth that price tag?

Thank you for your help

1 minute ago, Dan1845 said:

I have seen these Tag watches and recognised the name however being a total novice didn’t know if it was just he name you pay for it the watch’s are actually good also!

Thank you very much appreciated

They are good quality watches

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JoT said:

They are good quality watches

Agreed. I love mine! A top quality watch.

For an 18 year old a Tag is a great choice as a well known brand, connection with F1 and all that. But for gawds sake shop around and order it online! I've just done that for my colleague's lad: Tag F1 Quartz, £1095 list price - reduced to £930 in Beaverbrooks - I found it for £757 online from a UK dealer. Now that's what you should be paying!

• Like 3

I say this every time don't I ?

Does it have to be a watch ? If so  - and you do not seem to know which he would particularly like - perhaps you might be best to ask him. Perhaps make an afternoon of buying the watch together. It will give you a chance to take him for his 'first' pint and discover where he has been doing his drinking for the last 3 years.

Just be prepared for " Nah fanks daad. But can I have 600 quid for 10 days in Magluf / Las Vagas / Blackpool (delete as required)" ... 

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by Rotundus
The question isnt rhetorical if you forget the question mark !
  • Like 1

I say this every time don't I ?
Does it have to be a watch ? If so  - and you do not seem to know which he would particularly like - perhaps you might be best to ask him. Perhaps make an afternoon of buying the watch together. It will give you a chance to take him for his 'first' pint and discover where he has been doing his drinking for the last 3 years.
Just be prepared for " Nah fanks daad. But can I have 600 quid for 10 days in Magluf / Las Vagas / Blackpool (delete as required)" ... 
Good luck :thumbsup:

Valid points made. He likes the idea of a watch and I want a keepsake for this milestone birthday. The pint and day already planned otherwise.

I plan to take him to look around and have already ask the type he likes however he doesn’t know how much I want to spend and I’d rather surprise him with a watch make that far exceeds what he expects.
I think that makes sense?!

Genuinely appreciate your replies all thanks

• Like 1

It isn't always clear how a few companies can own multiple brands. For example SWATCH group own; Omega, Longines, certina, hamilton,Tissot, to name but a few. Bit like Volkswagen owning many different brands to suit budget.

Also think about your son's wrist size, no idea whether he is a big lad with chunky wrists or a wee snip of a thing. Not sure where you are based but it has been mentioned one here that some retail villages such as Bicester have TAG outlets, we have a TAG boutique near us often selling at a discount. Some say you can haggle a good discount at authorised dealers so it's worth a punt though less likely on really popular models. 

The TAG is a great choice but if he/ you wanted the magic of an automatic movement for same kind of money another vote for the Longines hydroconquest auto (make sure it's the latest model) or if he want's a bit of change for something else as well maybe a Certina auto. The Longines will have a nice ceramic bezel whereas the Certina will be metal.

If his birthday is a way off and you settle on a watch together - keep searching in google with the watch serial number as you might strike is lucky and find a good retailer with a flash sale - I did this with my Longines and bought online with 30% off RRP :) 

As others have said try and put as many on the wrist as possible to determine suitability/ comfort.

longines-hydroconquest-l3-782-4-96-6-350

certina-c032-407-11-091-00-ds-action-pow

Edited by wrenny1969

I still have my 18th watch, only 35 yrs ago - Seiko do great sports watches as above, and dress watches:

No photo description available.

Had to wait till I was 30 to get my Tag ...

No photo description available.

But now, for a thousand - that is an awful lot for a quartz ...  would have to be a Tag,  Mechanically I would go Oris, and some places (Goldsmiths I think) have these under £1k:

Mens Oris BC 3 Advanced Day Date Automatic Watch 0173576414164-0782203

Prolly won't attract the wrong kind of attention!

• Like 1

i would get the Longines hydroconquest auto ,or any oris i got this for my 18th and still have it i'm 61 now

1uxXyYcl.jpg

• Like 1

If you're willing to look at pre-owned watches you're in the realms of a quartz Omega Seamaster or a Longines Legend diver or a Sinn or a Muhle Glasshutte marinus. That said, as an 18year old I'm sure he'd be over the moon with a Tag. If buying new, other brands to check out are Oris, Tissot and Seiko : )

It isn't always clear how a few companies can own multiple brands. For example SWATCH group own; Omega, Longines, certina, hamilton,Tissot, to name but a few. Bit like Volkswagen owning many different brands to suit budget.
Also think about your son's wrist size, no idea whether he is a big lad with chunky wrists or a wee snip of a thing. Not sure where you are based but it has been mentioned one here that some retail villages such as Bicester have TAG outlets, we have a TAG boutique near us often selling at a discount. Some say you can haggle a good discount at authorised dealers so it's worth a punt though less likely on really popular models. 
The TAG is a great choice but if he/ you wanted the magic of an automatic movement for same kind of money another vote for the Longines hydroconquest auto (make sure it's the latest model) or if he want's a bit of change for something else as well maybe a Certina auto. The Longines will have a nice ceramic bezel whereas the Certina will be metal.
If his birthday is a way off and you settle on a watch together - keep searching in google with the watch serial number as you might strike is lucky and find a good retailer with a flash sale - I did this with my Longines and bought online with 30% off RRP  
As others have said try and put as many on the wrist as possible to determine suitability/ comfort.
longines-hydroconquest-l3-782-4-96-6-350x720.png
certina-c032-407-11-091-00-ds-action-powermatic-80-wristwatch-p11953-44755_image.jpg

Wow thank you so much for taking time to write this very detailed reply!

Thank you all so much for all of your replies. Extremely helpful and so please I asked you all

I'd go for the Tag F1 too.It's a name an 18 year old would recognise and there's a good choice of them about.

The one shown above is a beaut.

I'm not sure most 18 year old would have heard of Omega or Brietlings even 

38 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I'd go for the Tag F1 too.It's a name an 18 year old would recognise and there's a good choice of them about.

The one shown above is a beaut.

I'm not sure most 18 year old would have heard of Omega or Brietlings even 

17381197_1_640.jpg

Edited by Turpinr

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, I would have thought an 18 year old lad would prefer a smart watch of some description.  If he's got an iPhone, go for an Apple watch, and if he's got an Android phone then a Galaxy Watch 4G (previously called Gear, but I think they've dropped that name now) looks like the best of the bunch.  The Galaxy actually looks pretty good, and is around £350 for the top of the range model.

To spend £1000 on a watch if you're clueless about them is utter madness IMHO.

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, I would have thought an 18 year old lad would prefer a smart watch of some description.  If he's got an iPhone, go for an Apple watch, and if he's got an Android phone then a Galaxy Watch 4G (previously called Gear, but I think they've dropped that name now) looks like the best of the bunch.  The Galaxy actually looks pretty good, and is around £350 for the top of the range model.
To spend £1000 on a watch if you're clueless about them is utter madness IMHO.

He doesn’t want or need a smart watch unfortunately and I would prefer something ore if a keepsake rather than something that will be outdated in 2 years.
Appreciate your opinions however

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dan1845 said:

He doesn’t want or need a smart watch unfortunately and I would prefer something ore if a keepsake rather than something that will be outdated in 2 years.

In that case, go for the Tag :thumbsup:  As others have mentioned though, definitely worth shopping around to get the best price.  Oh, and given the large investment, make sure he tries one on first to make sure it sits right on his wrist and he likes it in the flesh (photos only tell half the story...).  If you're anywhere near Bicester Village there is a TAG outlet with decent discounts on selected models which has been mentioned on here quite a few times.

• Like 1

I don't know the 18 yo in question but generally, 18yos aren't a fan of steel bracelet divers, or dress watches for that matter.

Something with a little "funk" but still a reputable brand that they would be proud to wear. (i'm thinking distressed leather or canvas strap)

Sin 104, Oris chronoris, Hamilton American Classic, Doxa Sub Sharkhunter, Longinens heritage (over £), Oris 65, Alpina Seastrong, Rado Captain Cook, Damasko DS30, Glycine combat sub, 

• Like 1

Good advice given with the Tag. :thumbsup:. I've not got an 18th birthday watch, in my day 21 was the special birthday and my first wife bought me this Jaquet Droz chrono diver,for my 21st, which I still have over 50 years later:cool:.

4UaQigF.jpg

• Like 3