• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
al_kaholik

When someone notices your watch

I bought myself a pre-owned Bremont ALT1-C with the cream face for my 50 birthday. It's my 'Lifetime Achievement Reward' to myself:) I was a bit concerned about wearing it and it been noticed; but no one ever has. Which is great! I can get served at a bar and no one says or cares a jot.  Means I can wear it worry free and just enjoy having it:) 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Badman67 said:

I bought myself a pre-owned Bremont ALT1-C with the cream face for my 50 birthday. It's my 'Lifetime Achievement Reward' to myself:) I was a bit concerned about wearing it and it been noticed; but no one ever has. Which is great! I can get served at a bar and no one says or cares a jot.  Means I can wear it worry free and just enjoy having it:) 

My Rolex Air King is as inconspicuous as a freckle.I think most of them are to be fair.

I've only had one watch noticed, and I've only noticed one watch myself.

• Like 2

Oysterquartz easily in my case which I don't wear very often. The curious thing is that if mentioned they seem to realise that it's not a fake.

Past that I do sometimes notice people watching the smooth 2nd hand sweep - ;) even on a Bulova quartz. My daily wear is a Christopher Ward retro diver chronometer. I suspect the sweep is the only thing anyone will notice. When I look at it I see a cheap watch and suspect that the people who notice  the oysterquartz would as well. All down to a mix of the design, finishes and colours etc. I suspect in this case it's mostly down to a poor choice of the colour of blue. The end result might be described as tasteless but that's a bit extreme but that means that probably no one will notice it at all.

John

-

• Like 1

The lady on reception in my local Land Rover dealer not only noticed my Omega Geneve Dynamic but also noticed that I didn't wear it when I went in for the next service.  That rather surprised me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

The lady on reception in my local Land Rover dealer not only noticed my Omega Geneve Dynamic but also noticed that I didn't wear it when I went in for the next service.  That rather surprised me. 

I'd get a restraining order if I were you!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

Interesting, either she knows watches, or just thought it something very nice and possibly didn't consider that some people have a number of watches

5 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

The Geneve Dynamic is a very distinctive watch though isn't it........Very similar to my Camy King Club in appearance, I wonder who copied who?....

Rg2Q3iq.jpg

Note to self, must wear it more.......

• Like 1

This has happened to me once since I "got into watches" about 10 yrs ago - sat in the vets & someone clocked my CWC G10 & called it out immediately - I had to go into for the appointment, so I never found out if he was an enthusiast or an ex squaddie! 

Edited by sparrow
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, John_D said:

The Geneve Dynamic is a very distinctive watch though isn't it........Very similar to my Camy King Club in appearance, I wonder who copied who?....

IMG-20200225-0933089.jpgGosh yes they are alike aren't they.   Here's mine. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

It is part of the "training manual" for those in the car trade (and others) to look at what you have on your wrist. It gives them a pointer as to how much they can extract from you. Try dressing down the next time you go car hunting, then go back, dressed up, and see the difference it makes in such "shallow waters".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

IMG-20200225-0933089.jpgGosh yes they are alike aren't they.   Here's mine. 

Very nice, even more alike, when you see this version of your watch....

LGzWAup.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, John_D said:

Rg2Q3iq.jpg

Omega released the Dynamic mk1 in 1967 to the public, but first made it in 1965, so i would say Camy copied Omega :thumbsup:

Cheers Martin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martinzx said:

Omega released the Dynamic mk1 in 1967 to the public, but first made it in 1965, so i would say Camy copied Omega :thumbsup:

Cheers Martin 

Even without knowing the date,s I must admit I thought that the most likely scenario...:wink:

• Like 1

On 21/02/2020 at 19:26, al_kaholik said:

One of the guys at work came over when I was sitting waiting for a colleague at the end of the day. I presume he just came for a chat, because he's that kind of good egg and we have a good relationship. 

First thing he says to me is 'that's a Rotolog, I've got a dark wood one, they are 'effin great aren't they!'

Cue ten minutes of genuinely good chat about an inanimate object and how much he loves his, to the point of having a full refinish on a wood insert model. 

Made my week.

Do people notice your horological choices? Or relate? 

Other than WIS types I have only had three people mention my watch

First was a dental nurse, I was wearing a 46mm Glycine Airman and just as I was about to have an injection said "oh my god that's huge" which set the dentist off in a fit of laughter 

Second was in a store in El Paso Texas when a young lad in western gear said "that's a Rolex you are wearing, isn't it" (I was wearing an Explorer II) I asked him how did he know it was genuine to which he replied it has the logo on the dial, he got me with that one!

Third is also a Rolex story - meeting with a company being represented by a City type, at the end of the meeting he came over and showed me he Rolex Sub, "you are wearing the same watch as me" - I replied "mine is a Sea Dweller" he was a bit deflated

That's three in 20 years!

• Haha 3

On 21/02/2020 at 17:08, Roger the Dodger said:

I've always loved that one, Rob...ever since you first showed it, oh, how many years ago...:thumbs_up: It's one of those watches that in my present mind set of 'meh', makes me sit up and say 'Wow...I need to search some more'. Thanks for bringing it back to me. :thumbsup: Wasn't there a video showing it working...?

On 22/02/2020 at 14:57, Shoughie0 said:

Just now, that is exactly what that post made me do.

Thank you, Gents!

Roger, trying to post up the video and not having any luck...

25 minutes ago, Mechanical Alarm said:

Thank you, Gents!

Roger, trying to post up the video and not having any luck...

I thought I did this yesterday, but must have forgotten to press 'submit reply'.  Here you go...slightly different model, but you get the idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Roger, thanx for posting up the video. The skeleton version really shows how things work on that highly modified ETA!

The, "Dancing Hands", never get old!

On 23/02/2020 at 07:49, Turpinr said:

My Rolex Air King is as inconspicuous as a freckle.I think most of them are to be fair.

I'm in the same boat, I own an invisible Air King also, one of the best invisible watches I have ever bought :biggrin:

• Like 2

The only complaint I have (on the Carlo), is that it keeps terrible time!

I think I have discovered why. Every time someone shows the slightest interest... I take it off and show them how it works. Then, I can never remember what it was set at! I'm lucky to get the hour right!

I'm sure it's operator error!

Take care guys!

Edited by Mechanical Alarm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of ones that I remember.

A few years ago were in a hotel in Grand Canaria and there was a couple sat along from us. The bloke had a nice black bezel GMT, a bit unusual as mostly they are the more common Pepsi bezels. I was wearing my GMT and although we never spoke he clearly had a look at mine and nodded a couple of times.

Roll on a couple of years and the same island but a different area, this time an apartment and low and behold there was the same couple sat at the pool. He was still wearing his GMT and I was still wearing mine.

:)

On an other more recent occasion we wandered into a boozer we never usually go to and I noticed a couple getting quite animated and clearly taking an interest in us. 

After a bit the women struck up a conversation with Big M, obviously I was a bit on my toes.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

As it turns out no interest whatsoever that I was wearing my LV all she wanted to know was where I got my shorts from as her lad had tried all over and couldn’t get a pair anywhere and he didn’t want to ask.

:huh:

That would have been amusing, mugged for my shorts.

:biggrin:

Edited by BondandBigM