• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi, I recently bought a small job lot of watches specifically for a Timex electric for spares, but amongst these was this 7 jewel Ingersoll.

uZKrIwm.jpg

Initially not of much interest as the crown is missing and the hair spring distorted, making it run erratically and VERY fast!

However curiosity got the better of me and I removed the balance and with a little skill and a LOT of luck, reformed the hair spring such that it has been running consistently now for a couple of days and is still within a minute or two of the time I set it.:jawdrop1:

I cannot however identify the movement. It is definitely at least one step better made than the Ingersoll model 60, but not in the same league as ETA, more in the style of EB....

FvjR8jc.jpg

Any ideas out there?

5 hours ago, John_D said:

Hi, I recently bought a small job lot of watches specifically for a Timex electric for spares, but amongst these was this 7 jewel Ingersoll.

uZKrIwm.jpg

Initially not of much interest as the crown is missing and the hair spring distorted, making it run erratically and VERY fast!

However curiosity got the better of me and I removed the balance and with a little skill and a LOT of luck, reformed the hair spring such that it has been running consistently now for a couple of days and is still within a minute or two of the time I set it.:jawdrop1:

I cannot however identify the movement. It is definitely at least one step better made than the Ingersoll model 60, but not in the same league as ETA, more in the style of EB....

FvjR8jc.jpg

Any ideas out there?

Probably a Smith's pin lever but not sure which one

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JoT said:

Thanks for coming back to me. As it happens I took a flyer on ebay and bought this 'broken' Ingersoll watch for £4.24

Pj0LL3b.jpg

on the off chance that it would furnish me with a crown for the original one.........

Much to my surprise it has exactly the same movement and the crown was quickly stolen and fitted to the original watch:thumbsup:.

As an added bonus the mint condition Excalibur flex bracelet was just what I needed for my Timex M67 'Astronauts watch'! Result!:clap:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JoT said:

I agree , it looks like one of the pin lever calibres that came out of the Anglo-Celtic factory at Ystradgynlais in Wales . I have seen the same movement in some Smiths Empire watches . Just after the second world war , Ingersoll , Smiths and Vickers joined to start the Anglo-Celtic factory . Later the same factory would be wholly owned by Smiths .

Edit It does look similar to the Smiths TY calibre .

http://history.powys.org.uk/history/ystrad/anglo1.html

Edited by Tazmo61
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Tazmo61 said:

I agree , it looks like one of the pin lever calibres that came out of the Anglo-Celtic factory at Ystradgynlais in Wales . I have seen the same movement in some Smiths Empire watches . Just after the second world war , Ingersoll , Smiths and Vickers joined to start the Anglo-Celtic factory . Later the same factory would be wholly owned by Smiths .

Edit It does look similar to the Smiths TY calibre .

http://history.powys.org.uk/history/ystrad/anglo1.html

Thanks for that, looked it up, found a picture, and the Smiths TY Cal.is identical to the movements in my two Ingersoll watches.

• Like 1