• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
John_D

A little bit of Swiss watch making history.....

I have posted this on other watch forums, but thought it might be of interest on here as well............

A little bit of Swiss watch manufacture history

I saw a watch on eBay a few months ago, and having done some research on 'Camy Watches' when I got my two 1960's Camy 'divers', (shown below),
A2H8XLu.jpg

I was aware of the Raymond Weil connection:-
'Raymond Weil (Founder and Honorary President) was born in Geneva in 1926. After he got a diploma in commerce, he entered Camy Watch S.A. – a Swiss watchmaker, in 1949 where he was to become manager and spend 26 years of his life. In 1976, during a crisis that affected the watch industry, he decided to create his own company.'
What it doesn't say above is that on the death of the Camy Watch S.A. owner, one of the sons took over and fired Raymond Weil. At that point Raymond Weil set up his own company and took a substantial number of Camy's employees with him. (and Camy Watch S.A. closed in a few months)
He initially (and for a very short time) signed his own watches 'Dinita', an amalgamation of the names of his two daughters Diana and Anita, but was, very quickly, convinced to change the brand name to 'Raymond Weil', the rest is history.
'Raymond Weil' is one of the last independent brands in the Swiss watch industry, and as far as I know the only family owned one left.
Anyway, back to the watch I found on ebay, in itself a fairly nondescript Swiss dress watch from 1976, that I have no real love for, but historically quite significant in being a fairly rare example of one of the very first watches independently produced by Raymond Weil, after leaving Camy, the large 'W' on the dial and back, only having significance when you know the history.
hCcZYfy.jpg

PBhYzhW.jpg

The movement is a 'Dinita' signed ETA 2750,
fcT1Mae.jpg

and after a couple of 'tweeks' seems to be running surprisingly well
iHuTw7q.jpg

What other gems will eBay give up next I wonder?
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, John_D said:

and after a couple of 'tweeks' seems to be running surprisingly well
iHuTw7q.jpg

I doubt it. Amplitude 180° is too low. It could affect accuracy in other positions.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, probep said:

I doubt it. Amplitude 180° is too low. It could affect accuracy in other positions.

It's a 45 year old watch that has probably never been serviced and as such my statement of 'running surprisingly well' still stands:wink:, anyway just fully wound it and put it back on the Timegrapher....

9zBlmzT.jpg

I rest my case.........

• Like 3