• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

WRUW Thursday 27th Feb

Poljot Strela 3017

IMG_20200226_235707955(1).thumb.jpg.e4a35bcedb81b90ac7e59e122bccb40b.jpg

1964/65

Looks almost as good as me!

I have heard that these always had gilded sub-dial hands, but I doubt that.  I think there would often be a good call for better legibility.

strela-poljot-sekonda-3017.thumb.jpg.acb4db0fe5c7871b149f53d0844f81a0.jpg

609435362_strelainspace.jpg.1a6e9f162500b43edbdf2680cf5d0852.jpg

Oh, and my daughter is wearing this ...

IMG-20200225-WA0000.thumb.jpg.bd92d92ce6b7503e4a791c91a5554200.jpg

50's Rodina auto Cal 2415A Model ЧН-616K as per:

Rodina / Родина

So that's yer '2 fer'!

HAGD

Jet  'Authenticity' Jetski

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

The TW Steel assessment continues today, with my other gorgeous Volante:

20180608_132452

Weirdly, I think I prefer wearing this one to the larger blue one I wore yesterday - What is wrong with me? :swoon:

• Like 10

Morning,

Still just about discernible on the dial, today’s effort had been retailed by Mackay & Chisholm, founding date unknown but listed in a Post Office directory of 1872 as “jewellers, gold and silver smiths, watchmakers and dealers in curiosities” located at 49 North Bridge, Edinburgh. A notice in the Edinburgh Gazette of 19th August 1932 shows the status of the company, by then at 56-57 Princes Street and sole partner Wm G Chisholm, being changed to Mackay & Chisholm Limited. I haven’t yet found any references after that date and, of course, that address has long since been redeveloped.

The movement is a Stauffer “Peercee” which is recorded as being first registered in 1936 and although the 1932 addition of “Limited” to the retailer’s company name doesn’t appear on the dial, the added presence of what looks like an early form of Incabloc suggests that the watch dates from around the mid-1930s.

David Boettcher tends to associate the Peercee name as firstly appearing in the 1920s and with movements provided by Eterna but with sufficiently different bridge shapes from their base calibres to disguise the fact. This one’s keyless works indicate that it is a modified 10.5’’’ Eterna 600, probably an early version with its bimetallic balance wheel.

The “Rustless Steel” case is 27 x 33mm and with 16mm wire lugs which have had some, er, precision repairs over the years. “Shock Proof” is faintly visible above the oddly-compressed sub dial, whilst blued hands and a deco look complete this old fellow’s faded charms.

Regards.

Mackay & Chisholm after v.2.jpg

Mackay & Chisholm Stauffer  after 7 v.2.jpg

• Like 13

Good morning,  this big beast today. Phoibos wavemaster, 300m auto NH35, sapphire, ceramic bezel. Should do ok in all this rain...

g3KB3zZ.jpg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Balaton1109 said:

Morning,

Still just about discernible on the dial, today’s effort had been retailed by Mackay & Chisholm, founding date unknown but listed in a Post Office directory of 1872 as “jewellers, gold and silver smiths, watchmakers and dealers in curiosities” located at 49 North Bridge, Edinburgh. A notice in the Edinburgh Gazette of 19th August 1932 shows the status of the company, by then at 56-57 Princes Street and sole partner Wm G Chisholm, being changed to Mackay & Chisholm Limited. I haven’t yet found any references after that date and, of course, that address has long since been redeveloped.

The movement is a Stauffer “Peercee” which is recorded as being first registered in 1936 and although the 1932 addition of “Limited” to the retailer’s company name doesn’t appear on the dial, the added presence of what looks like an early form of Incabloc suggests that the watch dates from around the mid-1930s.

David Boettcher tends to associate the Peercee name as firstly appearing in the 1920s and with movements provided by Eterna but with sufficiently different bridge shapes from their base calibres to disguise the fact. This one’s keyless works indicate that it is a modified 10.5’’’ Eterna 600, probably an early version with its bimetallic balance wheel.

The “Rustless Steel” case is 27 x 33mm and with 16mm wire lugs which have had some, er, precision repairs over the years. “Shock Proof” is faintly visible above the oddly-compressed sub dial, whilst blued hands and a deco look complete this old fellow’s faded charms.

Regards.

Mackay & Chisholm after v.2.jpg

Mackay & Chisholm Stauffer  after 7 v.2.jpg

That would have been thoroughly modern!  The hidden lugs remind me of these motor cars with the hidden wheels:

EzC1AJlxTh2HWQXvZQjKVQ?w=1800&h=1013&fm=webp&auto=compress&lossless=true&fit=crop&crop=faces

wheel pants, apparently

• Like 4