• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
russelk

New arrival - Glycine Combat 6 Classic 36mm

I've had my eye on this for a while. Ever since they got bought by Invicta, prices have been falling like crazy. Perhaps this was the case before the buyout, but I didn't notice. I paid a little more to get one with the old logo. I don't like the new logo, it looks too much like Georgio Armani. Armani actually sued Glycine over the new logo, and won. Glycine appealed and had the verdict overturned.

I've always liked Glycine. They have real history, unlike wannabe brands such as Bremont.

The finishing of the watch is first class. You do get what you pay for. I've compared it to my Orient Star which also has polished sides, and the Glycine is leagues ahead. As it should be. The bracelet looks a little like a Breitling one, but is not as solid or as well-made as the one on my Colt Chrono.

It's listed as a 36mm but my calipers say it's 37 and I would say it wears more like a 38.

The lug-width is a little wide at 20mm. I think 19mm would be better for a watch of this size, but at least it does mean that one has a wider selection of straps to choose from.

I've very pleased with this. It's everything I'd hoped it would be. I'm looking forward to putting it on a black croco-grain strap.

kmLff3X.jpg

JUDhrSN.jpg

fastVW4.jpg

yF23Zkf.jpg

YiALjZ3.jpg

ilp1gSX.jpg

5cC8LOh.jpg

EFvBbwZ.jpg

1SePkvh.jpg

JgVUKTl.jpg

Ukw11Nq.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Love it! :clap:

I've always wanted one of these but the stingy WR and lack of micro-adjustment on the clasp means I know I'd flip it in a week.

And you're right about the new logo – hideous :(

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

lack of micro-adjustment on the clasp means I know I'd flip it in a week.

It would look ok on leather ?

• Like 1

Looks pretty good on either I think. Maybe too smart looking for a NATO but worth a try I reckon. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 152bobby said:

Can I (we) ask how much you paid and where you purchased from ?

They've been available on eBay from a US retailer for around 280 USD for a while now, although it looks like they've sold out of the blue one. After import duties it should come to just under £300. It's the version with the new logo.

I got my one from an authorised dealer based in the Netherlands through www.chrono24.co.uk. After shipping it came to £384.

17 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Mmmm...not sure...it looks a little 'too ordinary' for me...

Granted it doesn't have the visual detail of the Seiko Great Blue we like so much, but there's an elegance in its simplicity. And it's not too dressy either. The black version could almost be a field watch if you stuck it on a rugged strap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, russelk said:

Granted it doesn't have the visual detail of the Seiko Great Blue we like so much, but there's an elegance in its simplicity. And it's not too dressy either. The black version could almost be a field watch if you stuck it on a rugged strap.

Must admit, I do like the moonphase complication on that last blue one... I haven't got a MP in my meagre collection yet...so well done on that! :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Must admit, I do like the moonphase complication...I haven't got a MP in my meagre collection yet...so well done on that! :thumbsup:

Sorry, I didn't get the moonphase one actually. I couldn't find a picture of the basic blue one on a leather strap so I posted a picture of the moonphase.

I was very tempted to get the moonphase version as I don't have one either and it doesn't cost that much more. I decided against because I think the moonphase complication adds 1mm of height to the case. I really wanted to avoid the combination of small case diameter + large case height. When the two dimensions are not in proportion it makes the watch look a little odd. It's the main reason I decided to flip both of my 38mm Christopher Ward dive watches. That height is fine on the 42mm but it just looks a little monolithic on the smaller watches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1