• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

The Same, but Different: A Favourite Sekonda Chronograph

A certain yellow and black quartz chronograph has been part of the Sekonda canon for quite some time now and it is one of my favourite Sekonda watches. I was browsing online yesterday and noticed a discrepancy when it came to the stated case material for this chronograph. Sometimes, the case is described as being "brass" whilst other ads state that the case is stainless steel. I have had this problem before, in particular some Limit watches are sometimes described as being stainless steel when in fact they are chromed alloy. In the case of the yellow and black Sekonda chronograph, I had a further look to see if I could ascertain the truth of the matter and came up with the interesting discovery that the same model was re-introduced under a different model number and with a stainless steel case. This is all very well but the two models - original with plated brass case and reintroduced version with stainless steel case - are being sold new at the same time even though the original version was introduced some considerable time ago. Thus, if you want the newer stainless steel version, make sure you are getting the right model number.

According to first appearance on Amazon UK, the original brass-cased version was launched way back in 2007 (though Amazon gives the model year the date as 2011); it has the model number 3378.27 and is currently an "Amazon Choice" with a price of £74.99. The newer version of the watch, with stainless steel case, was launched in 2017 and is a current model in the Sekonda range; this watch has a model number, 1395.27, and is being offered by three sellers on Amazon UK for £87. In addition to case material and partly because of this factor, there are very minor differences in case size (about 45mm) and weight between old and new versions; both watches are water resistant to 50 metres and have leather straps and mineral glass crystals. Here are three views of the stainless steel version of the watch, model  number 1395.27 (pics from Watch Hut at cloudfront.net):

1395-1502796511-9052.jpg

13951-1573066194-7263.jpg

13953-1573066192-8323.jpg

Before ending this short topic, I cannot resist showing you another of my favourite Sekonda quartz chronographs - a rather nice all-stainless steel red dial colourway model which is now "on the edge of extinction". Looking at general changes in Sekonda watches since the acquisition of Accurist by Time products about 6 years ago, one seems to be the setting of a "standard" water resistance at 50 metres. Leaving aside some of the digital  and ana-digi watches in the current Sekonda lineup, it appears that 50 metres is now ubiquitous for the whole range of mens' watches; this  older model, however, is at 100 metres water resistance. Anyway, as indicated above, the red dial chrono shown here below  (model 3304 or 3304-SNP), is now only just about available brand new, having moved well out of current production; it first appeared on Amazon in 2010. The case is 45 mm X 11 mm and the crystal is mineral glass and hands and numbers are lumed. Sadly, I could not find any really good pictures of this model apart from this front-on view, so I apologise for the single image shown here (pic from Watch Shop at cloudfront.net):

3304.jpg