• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Just arrived from Roy (and as in the "old days" running and set to the right time) this attractive manual wind 24-Hour Vostok :yes:

What do you have?

large.IMAG1649_2.jpg.3fb330c186d83e16c2ac791403bbd373.jpg

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, ziggy1024 said:

Is it allowed to have a 12-hour hand too??

No.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, JoT said:

Just arrived from Roy (and as in the "old days" running and set to the right time) this attractive manual wind 24-Hour Vostok :yes:

What do you have?

large.IMAG1649_2.jpg.3fb330c186d83e16c2ac791403bbd373.jpg

Ditto!!

FCXsWyP.jpg

S6K3myB.jpg

I went looking for the sales post to leave feedback but couldn't find it! (I'm a computer thicko!!)

John :)

• Like 3

On 03/03/2020 at 11:25, JoT said:

What do you have?

manual

No photo description available.

automatic

Image may contain: 3 people

quartz

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 3

I was watching something on YouTube discussing 24 hour analogue watches where the point was made that digital time is mainly measured in 24 hours, car clocks, radios etc, etc, all my digital watches are set to 24 hours, yet it's deemed to be a bit weird to have a 24 hour analogue watch ? I have a few by the way. :crazy5vh:

12 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I was watching something on YouTube discussing 24 hour analogue watches where the point was made that digital time is mainly measured in 24 hours, car clocks, radios etc, etc, all my digital watches are set to 24 hours, yet it's deemed to be a bit weird to have a 24 hour analogue watch ? I have a few by the way. :crazy5vh:

What is weirder still is, even accepting that we should use two twelve hour periods, why don't we have 12 nominal daytime hours, ie 6 am till 6pm , and the next 12 night hours: why start counting at noon?  And if noon is a good place to start why isn't 11 am known as 1 am, ie 1 hour before noon?  They really messed this time-telling business up, those ruddy Toltecs.  #thanksobama

On 06/03/2020 at 12:46, Jet Jetski said:

What is weirder still is, even accepting that we should use two twelve hour periods, why don't we have 12 nominal daytime hours, ie 6 am till 6pm , and the next 12 night hours: why start counting at noon?  And if noon is a good place to start why isn't 11 am known as 1 am, ie 1 hour before noon?  They really messed this time-telling business up, those ruddy Toltecs.  #thanksobama

Surely at 12 noon the sun is at its highest point in the sky, wherever you are and whatever time of year. Whereas at 6am, who knows where the sun is? I wouldn't know, I try not to be awake at that time in the morning.

Then if 1 hour before noon was 1am, what would we do about 1 hour after midnight?  I think the Time Lords thought this through pretty well. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, spinynorman said:

Surely at 12 noon the sun is at its highest point in the sky, wherever you are and whatever time of year. Whereas at 6am, who knows where the sun is? I wouldn't know, I try not to be awake at that time in the morning.

Then if 1 hour before noon was 1am, what would we do about 1 hour after midnight?  I think the Time Lords thought this through pretty well. :biggrin:

one hour after midnight would be 11 am!  simples - they messed up bigly - years work perfectly well BC and AD!

1 minute ago, Jet Jetski said:

years work perfectly well BC and AD!

Only because the people living in BC didn't know it was.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Only because the people living in BC didn't know it was.

well Mary had at least 9 months to sort it out

I once owned an Aviator 24 hr dial, it took me a week to sus it out.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 00:31, Jet Jetski said:

manual

Looks nice on the NATO - I‘ve got the exact same model, it used to be my affordable solution for long-distance flights and multiple time zones. Until the crown for the outer bezel became a bit too loose, as they do on those Raketas... 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ocean_Jr said:

Looks nice on the NATO - I‘ve got the exact same model, it used to be my affordable solution for long-distance flights and multiple time zones. Until the crown for the outer bezel became a bit too loose, as they do on those Raketas... 

THE INNER BEZEL COULD DEFINITELY DO WITH A BIT MORE FRICTION - VERY EASY TO KNOCK  oop caps lock sorry!

I don't think I have settled on a strap - it has been on a Poljot bracelet, it's currently on a distressed leather NATO - this was probably one of the better choices - the strap (which I already had) is the main reason I bought the watch!

15 hours ago, jmm1 said:

I once owned an Aviator 24 hr dial, it took me a week to sus it out.

I think if you wear one all the time you will just get used to it, but if you only have a couple in your collection worn in rotation, by the time you have adjusted to the format, it's time to change!

Edited by Jet Jetski