• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
russelk

Rado Captain Cook

Does anybody have one of these, particularly one in 37mm? What are you thoughts on it?

I think they look fantastic in all the variations. It's hard to choose a favourite.

No, I don't have one, but I'm a fan - but only since they issued the 42mm version. The other sizes being too small or too big for me! I was with @Igerswis a couple of months back when we had a good look at them (and the new Hydroconquest, not to mention the Longines he actually bought). He preferred the Green dial and I went for blue. But a great looking watch that felt and looked right in all compartments. I would happily own one. 

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 5

The 37 sounds perfect for me. Not sure where I can see one in the flesh though. It looks like Goldsmiths only stock the 42 and 45mm.

I've the 42mm Blue. I'm really happy with it. Fairly light weight bracelet, but it does look good, no micro adjustments on the bracelet but the links are all small sized so it's not been a problem for me.

Here's a few quick pics

Rado 'Captain Cook' 42mm R32505203 {Cal ETA C07.611(Base ETA 2824-2)}

Rado 'Captain Cook' R32505203 {Cal ETA C07.611(Base ETA 2824-2)} 2Rado 'Captain Cook' R32505203 {Cal ETA C07.611(Base ETA 2824-2)} 3Rado 'Captain Cook' R32505203 {Cal ETA C07.611(Base ETA 2824-2)} 4

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

Here's a few quick pics

Excellent pics! Definitely confirms my view on the blue version. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I had the 37mm version and it was a really beautiful watch but in the end just a touch too small for my 7.25 inch wrist so I let it go.  If 37mm works for you then it's a great watch.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GASHEAD said:

I had the 37mm version and it was a really beautiful watch but in the end just a touch too small for my 7.25 inch wrist so I let it go.  If 37mm works for you then it's a great watch.

My wrist is half an inch smaller so I should be OK.

What a lovely watch the Captain Cook is, and I love the anchor logo on Rado watches. Thanks for the great pics, Graham. The blue colourway is beautiful, and I suspect that the green version is also pretty tasty.:)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham60 said:

I've the 42mm Blue. I'm really happy with it. Fairly light weight bracelet, but it does look good, no micro adjustments on the bracelet but the links are all small sized so it's not been a problem for me.

Here's a few quick pics

Rado 'Captain Cook' R32505203 {Cal ETA C07.611(Base ETA 2824-2)} 2Rado 'Captain Cook' R32505203 {Cal ETA C07.611(Base ETA 2824-2)} 3Rado 'Captain Cook' R32505203 {Cal ETA C07.611(Base ETA 2824-2)} 4

That’s a little belter

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

What a lovely watch the Captain Cook is, and I love the anchor logo on Rado watches. Thanks for the great pics, Graham. The blue colourway is beautiful, and I suspect that the green version is also pretty tasty.:)

They had the green one in the Jeweller shop as well, was a hard choice between the two. It was in the Jura sale recently down to approx £1200, was tempted to add it but picked a hypochrome instead, it had a bigger saving. :)

32 minutes ago, russelk said:

My wrist is half an inch smaller so I should be OK.

I've small wrists as well, nae sure the exact size but probably similar to yourself, so you can imagine the 42mm will look the same on your wrist and gauge how the 37mm might look. Is there no local jewelers near you with them in stock to look at?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

They had the green one in the Jeweller shop as well, was a hard choice between the two. It was in the Jura sale recently down to approx £1200, was tempted to add it but picked a hypochrome instead, it had a bigger saving. :)

I've small wrists as well, nae sure the exact size but probably similar to yourself, so you can imagine the 42mm will look the same on your wrist and gauge how the 37mm might look. Is there no local jewelers near you with them in stock to look at?

I'll check out the 42 at Goldsmiths, but I don't think it'll be to my liking. I've been gravitating toward smaller watches over the last couple of years. The largest watch I own is now just a 40, and I tend to wear the 38 and 39 ones the most.

• Like 1

Tried the dark green 42mm on a few weeks ago, I was impressed :yes:

17680710_1_640.jpg

• Like 3

I've had the 37mm on my wrist a few times, and that would be my choice. :thumbsup: Its just down to personal preference really, and I've just measured my wrist for the first time, and it's 7 3/4" .

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I've had the 37mm on my wrist a few times, and that would be my choice. :thumbsup: Its just down to personal preference really, and I've just measured my wrist for the first time, and it's 7 3/4" .

Where did you try it? Neither Goldsmiths nor Ernest Jones seem to stock the 37mm.

7 minutes ago, russelk said:

Where did you try it? Neither Goldsmiths nor Ernest Jones seem to stock the 37mm.

It was in Chisholm Hunter in Edinburgh. I don't know if they still have one in stock.

9 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

Does the anchor logo swivel or goes it tick round ?

It swivels, it's not connect to the movement. I read somewhere, it's supposed to represent the action of the rotor.

I thought it was an indication of needing a service - if the anchor stops spinning it means the oil has dried up and a nice visual reminder of servicing need

22 hours ago, JoT said:

Tried the dark green 42mm on a few weeks ago, I was impressed :yes:

17680710_1_640.jpg

The green one really does pop - looks much, much more impressive in reality than in the photo that simply doesn't do it justice. 

I've seen a grey dial version with brushed case finish that IMHO looks better (the brushed case finish I mean).

21 hours ago, Rotundus said:

Does the anchor logo swivel or goes it tick round ?

Yeah, it spins freely, like on all Rados.  Must be hard to make it do this given the size of 'anchor'.  It really is a nice touch.

7 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

I've seen a grey dial version with brushed case finish that IMHO looks better (the brushed case finish I mean).

If you're referring to the new limited edition Ghost Captain version (grey dial, grey bezel, grey strap), I think the case is identical to the other models, so it's polished. I haven't found any with a brushed finish yet. Do post a link if you find one as a brushed finish would be a very nice alternative.

21 hours ago, al_kaholik said:

I thought it was an indication of needing a service - if the anchor stops spinning it means the oil has dried up and a nice visual reminder of servicing need

It used to be this back in the olden days. Now it's just a nice touch harking back to the era.

• Like 1

Synthetic oil.... Pah! But yes. 1000% cool factor. Probably 0% use now with synthetic :)

I keep eyeing the small version when I travel through the same airport. Travelling again shortly!...

On 05/03/2020 at 15:04, russelk said:

Does anybody have one of these, particularly one in 37mm? What are you thoughts on it?

I think they look fantastic in all the variations. It's hard to choose a favourite.

Purchased the ghost, it's gorgeous but small and just wasn't special enough for the money so returned it (for an Oris 65). 

Sure I'd get in better with the larger size / other colours.

• Like 1