UK Watch Forum banner

Oyster Perpetual 39mm or Omega Seasmaster Aqua Terra

8K views 72 replies 21 participants last post by  JoT 
#1 ·
I've been browsing the forum for quite some time now, loads of great watches/reviews/advice on here.

As I'm now in the market for my very first luxury time piece I thought it would make sense for me to ask for some opinions on which watch to go for.

Options

1. Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 38mm - blue dial on steel bracelet

2. Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm - blue dial

I absolutely love both watches, but can't afford both. So have to whittle it down to just one - hopefully some fellow watch enthusiasts can help me decide.

Did spend a lot time thinking if the black dial variants on each watch are 'better', am I making the right choice?

I've actually put a deposit down for the OP 39mm (it's luckily in stock) and now debating which to go for. Didn't want to lose it whilst making up my mind.

Thanks for your thoughts!

See less See more
#5 ·
Apart from the fact you will lose very little if anything on the OP come resale, one thing to bear in mind is the lack of fine adjustment on the AT clasp.

I've bought and sold three AT's because I just couldn't get a good fit on the bracelet, even with two half links and much experimenting. It was either hanging down the wrist like a bangle or would cut the circulation off - no happy middle ground. Although they look good on leather, I prefer metal bracelets. This isn't going to be the case for everyone but until you try it you won't know.

You'll have no such worries with the OP.

#9 ·
Wow - looks like there's a clear winner so far here!

Do we think this will be a 'timeless' piece? In the sense that in 10 years down the line, the green hour markers and blue dial won't look outdated? This colour combination looks to be so different from other Rolex models that I'm worried it might 'go out of date' pretty quickly. But I don't know much about this, being recently interested in such watches.

#10 ·
Do we think this will be a 'timeless' piece? In the sense that in 10 years down the line, the green hour markers and blue dial won't look outdated?
I'd give it at least 40 years. It's not really that far away from an Explorer, or Air King in its simplicity of design, and they've been about, albeit with the odd update, for decades. Personally I'd go for the 36mm one, but that's just me.

#13 ·
Thanks for the thoughts - blue it is! I'll speak to my AD tomorrow and let them know it's a keeper.

Sure you've all had more experience purchasing expensive watches compared to me. Do you know if there's anything I can negotiate/expect to receive if this is my first Rolex? Perhaps ask for 1 service as part of the total cost? Or a watchwinder?

Just want to make sure I'm being looked after...

#17 ·
The Rolex for me was underwhelming .... Nice watch, but just nice. The Omega Is a much better watch on almost all levels for me , apart from ( as mentioned ) the bracelet is illogical for a general "sports" watch. If Omega did the white faced vision on a 41mm without the daft "orange" ticker then I would already own one on a strap.... but hey ho.

#18 ·
Agree - the 41mm AT version felt oversized to me and that orange second hand didn't look right...

I spent a lot of time debating to go with either the AQ or OP. After discount the AT on steel bracelet could be had for £3.9k and OP £4.5k. Stretching and extra £600 felt worth it.

I've noticed that on sites like watchfinder and chrono24 that the same model OP are listed at £5.4k. Are people really buying these watches to make a profit? I know they are hard to get hold of, but is it worth the extra? Or is it an indication that the watch will hold its value in the future?

#20 ·
Agree - the 41mm AT version felt oversized to me and that orange second hand didn't look right...

I spent a lot of time debating to go with either the AQ or OP. After discount the AT on steel bracelet could be had for £3.9k and OP £4.5k. Stretching and extra £600 felt worth it.

I've noticed that on sites like watchfinder and chrono24 that the same model OP are listed at £5.4k. Are people really buying these watches to make a profit? I know they are hard to get hold of, but is it worth the extra? Or is it an indication that the watch will hold its value in the future?
I was offered a white dialled 39mm OP at a dealer last month and declined it after trying it on. The dealer was astonished I didn't buy it to make a quick few hundred quid. He said as much.

#24 ·
I could have made a quick £600 on the white dialled one ..... all lined up if I agreed etc etc ,,, but its just not my bag. The guy second on the list for AD to phone for me had dibs on it. I don't like throwing money away, but also don't like making money the "wrong" way.

The black and white dialled OPs are very sought after currently so are a certain purchase if residuals are important.

#22 ·
Sorry to be late on this one, @zapot. :)

I must admit that I am not that keen on the Omega Aqua Terra; it just doesn't quite have the look of something truly classic for me; a little bit not quite perfect aesthetically, partly perhaps because of the horizontal bars across the dial. I would therefore plump for the Rolex which just has classic "written" all over it, even with the secondary green markers on the blue dial.

#25 ·
I initially wanted a Tudor BB58, but the waiting lists were too long for my liking. What else should I consider?

Sorry to be late on this one, @zapot. :)

I must admit that I am not that keen on the Omega Aqua Terra; it just doesn't quite have the look of something truly classic for me; a little bit not quite perfect aesthetically, partly perhaps because of the horizontal bars across the dial. I would therefore plump for the Rolex which just has classic "written" all over it, even with the secondary green markers on the blue dial.
I think the date at the bottom looked like it was in the wrong place too.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tough call, they're both gorgeous pieces.

I'd personally go for the Omega as the lack of date on the Rolex would aggravate me, and for me the Omega is a prettier watch - the dial and minute markers just ooze quality. However there's something about having a Rolex.

Luckily I don't have to make the decision. Now, where's my Casio Waveceptor? :laughing2dw:

Omega14-Natural.jpg?auto=format&dpr=1&fi

17302743_3_640.jpg

#28 ·
Tough call, they're both gorgeous pieces.

I'd personally go for the Omega as the lack of date on the Rolex would aggravate me, and for me the Omega is a prettier watch - the dial and minute markers just ooze quality. However there's something about having a Rolex.

Luckily I don't have to make the decision. Now, where's my Casio Waveceptor? :laughing2dw:

Omega14-Natural.jpg?auto=format&dpr=1&fi

17302743_3_640.jpg
I wouldn't have the Omega, it's running 4 seconds fast.

#34 ·
Feels like this post isn't as clear at as before... Which is making me still go through the motions. Really just want to make the right decision.

My wrists aren't huge, but thought it would be worth sharing some actual shots.

fGBVpBj.jpg

TVXggL9.jpg

The other thought I'm having...

Will some of these models be refreshed as part of 2020 BaselWorld updates - I know the event has been cancelled but suspect brands will still be releasing updates?

#35 ·
Feels like this post isn't as clear at as before... Which is making me still go through the motions. Really just want to make the right decision.

My wrists aren't huge, but thought it would be worth sharing some actual shots.

fGBVpBj.jpg

TVXggL9.jpg

The other thought I'm having...

Will some of these models be refreshed as part of 2020 BaselWorld updates - I know the event has been cancelled but suspect brands will still be releasing updates?
The Omega looks better on your wrist than in the pics above but I'd still go for the OP.

#39 ·
After all my back and forth with different thoughts. I'm attracted to the OP rather than the AT.

Will be picking it up in 2 weeks - thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Any tips on how to look after your watch? I bet I won't want to take the protective stickers off for a long time :biggrin:

#40 ·
After all my back and forth with different thoughts. I'm attracted to the OP rather than the AT.

Will be picking it up in 2 weeks - thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Any tips on how to look after your watch? I bet I won't want to take the protective stickers off for a long time :biggrin:
Just wear it and enjoy it , when it gets its first full service they will polish out the scratches,,,,

Enjoy your new watch ...

#43 ·
I think most

would have a rolex over an omega

Better resale,brand recognition etc,

I have a datejust 41 ,its nice, if a little boring ,tend to enjoy my superocean heritage more,looking at zenith defy next ,I think they are a brand on the up, the biver effect

Best of luck with the OP I know you will go with that one

#45 ·
I think most

would have a rolex over an omega

Better resale,brand recognition etc,

I have a datejust 41 ,its nice, if a little boring ,tend to enjoy my superocean heritage more,looking at zenith defy next ,I think they are a brand on the up, the biver effect

Best of luck with the OP I know you will go with that one
Superoceans are amazing watches for the money....

#52 ·
I've got a predicament...

I work in London and have an OP reserved in London. Given the current situation, I just don't know when I'll be travelling back down. Could be months at this rate.

What should I do, keep the reservation. Or try and locate the same model elsewhere (which will be difficult), or change to the Aqua Terra or Tudor BB58?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.