• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Oyster Perpetual 39mm or Omega Seasmaster Aqua Terra

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't have the Omega, it's running 4 seconds fast.

A very good choice Congratulations on a fine watch. As for the clasp it is personal preference as to where you position it, my preference would also be the middle of the wrist, simple matte

I would say so too, so hurry up and buy it before someone sows the seed of indecision. 

I've got a predicament...

I work in London and have an OP reserved in London. Given the current situation, I just don't know when I'll be travelling back down. Could be months at this rate.

What should I do, keep the reservation. Or try and locate the same model elsewhere (which will be difficult), or change to the Aqua Terra or Tudor BB58?

Agree that there’s more important things to worry about. But the thought of collecting a new watch (eventually) is helping me see the light at the end of the ‘lockdown’ tunnel. 

AD is closed, for an unknown amount of time. Didn’t know if anywhere is selling these pieces new online at all? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, zapot said:

Agree that there’s more important things to worry about. But the thought of collecting a new watch (eventually) is helping me see the light at the end of the ‘lockdown’ tunnel. 

AD is closed, for an unknown amount of time. Didn’t know if anywhere is selling these pieces new online at all? 

Of course there are more important things to worry about but I can understand you wanting something positive to look forward to.

I wanted to see your new watch and still do, even if it's at the end of a tunnel:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Slight curveball...

As I've got more time on my hands, I've called round a few Rolex ADs to try and source an Explorer. However no luck. 

During my conversations, I've been able to locate a black dial OP 39mm. I have the blue dial variant held in London, but don't plan on travelling there anytime soon.

Black was actually my initial preference, but wasn't available at the time. Leaving me torn between blue/black. 

Calling watch pros, which version would you go for?

54 minutes ago, zapot said:

Slight curveball...

As I've got more time on my hands, I've called round a few Rolex ADs to try and source an Explorer. However no luck. 

During my conversations, I've been able to locate a black dial OP 39mm. I have the blue dial variant held in London, but don't plan on travelling there anytime soon.

Black was actually my initial preference, but wasn't available at the time. Leaving me torn between blue/black. 

Calling watch pros, which version would you go for?

Still blue for me, it's a real stunner.In black it's just nice.:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had some great news... 

A brand new Explorer 214720 has come available at my nearest AD, which I snapped up straight away. This now means I won't have to risk travelling to London and collect the blue dialled OP 39mm.

Was an easy decisions to make as I managed to try on a used Explorer at Watchfinder just before lockdown, so know how it looks and wears - what a fantastic timepiece!

Can't wait to collect this beauty, whenever lockdown is lifted.

:yes:

• 1 month later...

Very pleased to say that the day I've been waiting for since lockdown started has finally arrived...

I just collected my Rolex Explorer 214270 from my AD. Will share some thoughts on it after wearing for few days.

But initially, I absolutely love it. Very legible, perfect size and the lume - wow!

Here's some wrist shots!

IMG-1115.jpg

IMG-1113.jpg

IMG-1114.jpg

One question to all the pros on here, is the clasp positioned correctly? It's not 100% comfortable and my feeling is that I need to get it adjusted so it's sitting in the middle of the wrist. Thoughts on this are welcome.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, zapot said:

Very pleased to say that the day I've been waiting for since lockdown started has finally arrived...

I just collected my Rolex Explorer 214270 from my AD. Will share some thoughts on it after wearing for few days.

But initially, I absolutely love it. Very legible, perfect size and the lume - wow!

Here's some wrist shots!

IMG-1115.jpg

IMG-1113.jpg

IMG-1114.jpg

One question to all the pros on here, is the clasp positioned correctly? It's not 100% comfortable and my feeling is that I need to get it adjusted so it's sitting in the middle of the wrist. Thoughts on this are welcome.

I would shuffle one link if it was my watch and centre the clasp ,,,, but I have seen people wear them like that so that the lock is centred. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I would shuffle one link if it was my watch and centre the clasp ,,,, but I have seen people wear them like that so that the lock is centred. 

Kicking myself I didn't go for this whilst with the AD. Luckily I'm not too far away to get the adjustment.

Basically move one link on the 6pm side and put it on the 12 side would centre the whole clasp nicely, right?

A very good choice :yes:

Congratulations on a fine watch.

As for the clasp it is personal preference as to where you position it, my preference would also be the middle of the wrist, simple matter of taking one link out of the 6 side of the bracelet and putting into the 12 side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, zapot said:

Kicking myself I didn't go for this whilst with the AD. Luckily I'm not too far away to get the adjustment.

Basically move one link on the 6pm side and put it on the 12 side would centre the whole clasp nicely, right?

yes ... but don't get too bothered about it being perfectly centred .... they never look perfect.

9 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

Simple job if you own a small screwdriver...

I thought it would be simple job too, however it turns out not to be the case...

Went back to the AD yesterday for bracelet adjustments, however the pin screw couldn't be loosened. Apparently, as it's 'fresh from Rolex', the glue (is that the right name?) is at it's hardest and despite warming up/tapping it wouldn't budge :(

So it's gone back to their head office for somebody to have a look at. Bit disappointing, but at least they didn't try forcing it and damaging the screws or bracelet. I'll pick it back up in a few days, but wondered if this is a common issue?

2 hours ago, zapot said:

I thought it would be simple job too, however it turns out not to be the case...

Went back to the AD yesterday for bracelet adjustments, however the pin screw couldn't be loosened. Apparently, as it's 'fresh from Rolex', the glue (is that the right name?) is at it's hardest and despite warming up/tapping it wouldn't budge :(

So it's gone back to their head office for somebody to have a look at. Bit disappointing, but at least they didn't try forcing it and damaging the screws or bracelet. I'll pick it back up in a few days, but wondered if this is a common issue?

Sounds to me like they did not know what they were doing ....... I could be wrong.

On 19/06/2020 at 15:27, zapot said:

IMG-1114.jpg

Here's my Tudor Black Bay 36, (needing a clean)

large.20200621_123253_kindlephoto-7684195.jpg.86775f69654f01dd59a2a4cd313ef085.jpg

From the factory. The clasp sits central, as does the clasp on my 36 mm Explorer.

One thing I've learned through experience is, (if you're buying in person from an AD) if a bracelet requires adjustment, get it done before you hand over the cash.

5 hours ago, zapot said:

I think Rolex use a thread lock adhesive on the bracelet screws, unusual that the AD couldn't do it after warming the bracelet up. Perhaps they were a little hesitant, although the Rolex bracelet pins are quite robust compared to some brands.