• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi Simon, I own a 40 year old 9ct gold mechanical Rotary, it was a gift from my parents on my 18th birthday back in 1980. Two hands and date complication.

For the past couple of years it has become unreliable - despite being serviced - mostly it will only run for around 12 hours, sometimes less. I am running out of funds to continally try in vain to get it fixed, any ideas what the problem might be. Do I call time and sell it to somone with more funds and patience or give it another try?

Has it been recently serviced? Could be a mainspring problem or generally dry. Happy to look at it to establish it's faults. Here if you me me, just shout. Regards Simon.

it was "serviced" last week but the problem persists - gonna complain now we are past the weekend to see if they can explain why - but thanks for your observations. If I spend any more on it my wife will not be pleased

1 hour ago, excollier said:

it was "serviced" last week but the problem persists - gonna complain now we are past the weekend to see if they can explain why - but thanks for your observations. If I spend any more on it my wife will not be pleased

Are you winding it fully?

2 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Are you winding it fully?

Yes I am, I've owned it for 40 years and it was fine up until a couple of years ago - I've noticed sometimes it won't take a full wind

warm it up.  if some one put the wrong  grease on the main spring,   it will harden like glue in cold weather.    in damp climates. and a worn seal on the crown ,   moisture can enter and "rust the main spring".  vin

Funny that you're new to the forum and have posted this. I recently asked for my grandads watch from my dad to get it serviced as its just been in his drawer for years and years. It too is a vintage rotary that i think is 9ct gold but i can't find any info on it. It has day and date complications on it but the date doesn't work. It's got a really coarse wind to it too. I've emailed a couple of places for servicing and only one has come back so far with a price of £295.00. Seemed a lot but don't know if this is par for the course.

39 minutes ago, LeeW44 said:

I've emailed a couple of places for servicing and only one has come back so far with a price of £295.00. Seemed a lot but don't know if this is par for the course.

Yes it is a lot, especially if they haven't seen the watch and have no idea what work is needed. Simon (posted above) will give you a sensible estimate initially and then a quote once he's seen the watch. www.essexclockandwatchclinic.com

17 hours ago, vinn said:

warm it up.  if some one put the wrong  grease on the main spring,   it will harden like glue in cold weather.    in damp climates. and a worn seal on the crown ,   moisture can enter and "rust the main spring".  vin

I wear it most days and it has, allegedly, been serviced very recently. After winding it a 9.30pm last night it stopped at 8.10am this morning - very frustrating

17 hours ago, simon2 said:

Hope you get it sorted. If not give me a shout.

I have emailed your business on this, thanks