• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
lovingtheclock

Very rusted pocket watch

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 03:32, Karrusel said:

I agree!!

If the science, technology, skills, existed to restore such extensive corrosion, I'm fairly confident this would have been restored...

bDKrRmb.jpg

'Antikythera mechanism'

:thumbsup:

did they ever find out the purpose of this mechanism ?      vin

1 hour ago, Karrusel said:

6tlRoEH.jpg

You'll thank me....honestly!

:thumbsup:

did you pass a magnet over it ?

4 hours ago, lovingtheclock said:

can you explain to me how to open it? I still haven't been able to

Just put a knife blade in the gap between case and back cover and press it, then turn it to lift the cover. Be carefull, not to cut Your fingers!!! No need of sharp knife, use one that You will no regret if get damaged... If it doesn't open, then press harder...

On 12/03/2020 at 14:35, lovingtheclock said:

can you explain to me how to open it? I still haven't been able to

Has Howard Carter arrived yet ?

:watch:

Reminds me of “Who Shot J.R.”

:tongue:

• Haha 1

One word, ol' pal...bin. It's so far gone it's not worth wasting your precious life on. Find another 'fixer upper' by all means, but that one is way gone...even the dial is like a cobweb...and in case you weren't already aware, from your first two pics, it's obvious it was a crown wind and pin set movement, meaning that to wind the watch you simply turned the crown, and then to set the hands you pressed the shouldered pin next to the crown, and turned the crown to set the hands.

• Like 1

My goodness me. This thread has become exhaustive, and even exhausting, though with a few laughs on the way. Actually, I do admire attempts to restore watches, and I just hope that in this case, the pocket watch turns out to have an interesting innards...:biggrin:

Folks, this is not at all an attempt to restore a pocket watch. This is miserable attempt to open a pocket watch, but I guess that it will be not a succsessfull one... This is something that I cant understand! Believe me, never bulgarian or russian will ask how to open this type of watch or how to dissassemble the movement. This has never happend! They will ask how to assemblle, how to turn new balance staff, how to cut a new wheel, how to repivot an arbour...