• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
lovingtheclock

Very rusted pocket watch

This was amongst a pile of old watchmaking tools from the 1920s and 1930s that I picked up recently. How would I go about removing this rust? How do I open the back to see the state of the movement? It's pretty severely damaged but seems like it could be a fun project

PpR0LVX.jpg

k8Up6hG.jpg

WCK1V9R.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lovingtheclock said:

How would I go about removing this rust?

You're not serious, are you? It looks like a pizza that's been left out in the rain. Without the rust there'd be nothing left. :biggrin:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, lovingtheclock said:

i'm gonna give it a go anyway!

Not holding anything back from us are you ?

Like proof it was salvaged from the wreck of the Titanic?

:whistle:

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, lovingtheclock said:

... How would I go about removing this rust? How do I open the back to see the state of the movement? It's pretty severely damaged but seems like it could be a fun project

Yes, this could be a good project, but if You ask how to open it, it means You are very far from being ready for such a project... Just take a knife and press it and lift between rear cover and the case. There should be one more cover under the first. Then show a picture of the movement.  Probably it is a cheap movement that is not worth to do enything for it, but who knows...

You could try rust remover.  Leave the whole watch submerged for a day or two, then throw it away.  Its past saving

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

You could try rust remover.  Leave the whole watch submerged for a day or two, then throw it away.  Its past saving

There would be no need to throw it away, there'd be nothing left. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

14 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

There would be no need to throw it away, there'd be nothing left. 

I agree!!

If the science, technology, skills, existed to restore such extensive corrosion, I'm fairly confident this would have been restored...

bDKrRmb.jpg

'Antikythera mechanism'

:thumbsup:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lovingtheclock said:

I have some rust removing solution now, I will update this thread with pictures of post rust treatment..it's all a bit of fun :D

I admire your determination lovingtheclock.Have fun with it!.

• Thanks 1

so this is after an initial dip in some rust remover gel, and a good scrub - it resembles metal again and not a ball of rust at least..will let it soak some more overnight..

Di5rBJM.jpg

next thing i'll do is figure out how to open it to see what state the movement is in...

Edited by lovingtheclock

30 minutes ago, lovingtheclock said:

next thing i'll do is figure out how to open it to see what state the movement is in...

Well done so far and good luck.

• Like 1

This is a BIG mistake!

The firsth thing to do WAS to get the movement out of the case and to examine it's condition. Yes, the case can be treated with rust remover, but this can be totally harmful to the movement, if it was in restorable condition...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nevenbekriev said:

This is a BIG mistake!

The firsth thing to do WAS to get the movement out of the case and to examine it's condition. Yes, the case can be treated with rust remover, but this can be totally harmful to the movement, if it was in restorable condition...

I'm guessing the case was rusted shut.

3 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

This is a BIG mistake!

there's no way I could open it with the state it was in

Are we taking bets on what's going to be inside?  My guess is it will be one of these:

img2824invictasmsecplat.jpg

:laughing2dw:

Please, don't try to exlain this to me, I restore antique watches from many years. To open this watch it will be as easy now as i was before, nothing has changed...

3 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I'm guessing the case was rusted shut.

You had to guess?

:swoon:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Are we taking bets on what's going to be inside?  My guess is it will be one of these:

img2824invictasmsecplat.jpg

:laughing2dw:

Or it might be the genie of the watch.

2 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

Please, don't try to exlain this to me, I restore antique watches from many years. To open this watch it will be as easy now as i was before, nothing has changed...

can you explain to me how to open it? I still haven't been able to

18 minutes ago, lovingtheclock said:

can you explain to me how to open it? I still haven't been able to

6tlRoEH.jpg

You'll thank me....honestly!

:thumbsup:

• Haha 1