• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I do not need another watch, repeat after me, I do not need another watch.

Is it working?  I just missed a watch on eBay - must have only been one other person left as it went fo my highest bid ie they must have bid more a few seconds before me.  Anyway, I then almost bought a watch (to make up for the disappointment) that I had wanted some time back - a new one now heavily reduced.  Obviously we don't actually need a (rational) reason to buy a watch, but what is your worst reason for abandoning rationality and pulling the trigger?  I suppose my actual worst is having a blue leather strap and nothing to put it on.  I did get a nice watch though ...

No photo description available.

• Like 2
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are an enabler of horological over indulgence. 

I have pretty small wrists and i've ended up buying watches that look ridiculous on me but I can't help myself sometimes..is that ridiculous enough

I find it’s best not to confuse want and need 

If what I want and what I can afford intersect (and I think the wife won;t moan too much) then I'll buy it. 

I've just filled up one watch box and the other is pretty empty so not gonna stop any time soon.

I have noticed that the more watches I have the harder it is to decide what to wear.

Also if I'm skint or wife approval rating is low I'll buy a strap from somewhere cheap - that can freshen up an existing watch and reinvigorate my wearing of it.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, julian2002 said:

Also if I'm skint or wife approval rating is low I'll buy a strap from somewhere cheap - that can freshen up an existing watch and reinvigorate my wearing of it.

I do like finding the perfect strap for a watch - that is a valuable offshoot from the main hobby!

3 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Do you have a retrograde display?  Or a GMT Chronograph?  With a yellow dial?  If not get shopping!

I have a couple of watches with retrograde displays - one for 'days' and a chrono with retrograde 10ths.

But no GMT Chrono - so I guess I do need another watch, after all!

• Haha 1
On 09/03/2020 at 21:20, Jet Jetski said:

I suppose my actual worst is having a blue leather strap and nothing to put it on.  I did get a nice watch though ...

Brilliant, I like that one :laughing2dw:

I don't need a reason or any justification to buy a watch, it just has to be something that catches my eye and I can easily afford.  My main issue these days is finding something that doesn't look too similar (or the same) as an existing watch in my collection.  Case in point: My TW Steel collection, where I have multiple watches of the same model but in different colours.  It doesn't make sense, but it is proving very difficult to let any of them go, which I guess is quite common around here.  A classic "first world problem", obviously :yes:

• Like 2

Anybody with at least two watches does not need another. 

But, I suspect anyone who subscribed to that ineluctable logic would not be a member here. I assume that pretty much everyone here wants another watch.

I certainly do, but unfortunately my desires are now in the realms of the almost impossible to get hold of  --  and I don't mean a "common or garden" steel sports watch. I mean a rather nice blue faced 39mm chronometer fashioned in small numbers in central Geneva out of tantalum and rose gold. I fear that will never fall into my hands though. :(

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yokel said:

Anybody with at least two watches does not need another. 

But, I suspect anyone who subscribed to that ineluctable logic would not be a member here. I assume that pretty much everyone here wants another watch.

I certainly do, but unfortunately my desires are now in the realms of the almost impossible to get hold of  --  and I don't mean a "common or garden" steel sports watch. I mean a rather nice blue faced 39mm chronometer fashioned in small numbers in central Geneva out of tantalum and rose gold. I fear that will never fall into my hands though. :(

This???

30-A0-E026-8-B0-D-483-C-940-F-1-E2444471

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Teg62x said:

This???

30-A0-E026-8-B0-D-483-C-940-F-1-E2444471

Good lord no  --  I'm a big fan of the 11.59 precisely because it gets AP back to tasteful watches (my opinion  --  everybody's is different).

My heart throb is . . . .

gQ9UnHF.jpg

• Like 3
11 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Oooooh, look at that movement,

bleu-ok.png

Yes, seen that. A genuine “hen’s tooth”.

The few that come up second hand command very silly prices indeed, and (the last time I asked) the UK AD hadn’t seen a new one in two years  —  though he will sell you a rose gold Chronomètre Souverain (85% as nice) off the shelf.

However, what’s the point of having a “grail” if it is attainable?

• Like 1
On 11/03/2020 at 10:40, Davey P said:

Brilliant, I like that one :laughing2dw:

I don't need a reason or any justification to buy a watch, it just has to be something that catches my eye and I can easily afford.  My main issue these days is finding something that doesn't look too similar (or the same) as an existing watch in my collection.  Case in point: My TW Steel collection, where I have multiple watches of the same model but in different colours.  It doesn't make sense, but it is proving very difficult to let any of them go, which I guess is quite common around here.  A classic "first world problem", obviously :yes:

I gave my Citizen RM Diver away so I could justify getting the (too similar) Elliot Brown Holton Professional!

• Haha 1