• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Varish

Cheap watch suggestion

Hi folks! 
I own a few decent watches already (like all of you I suppose..) But i'm after a cheap watch to keep in the drawer at work. 
Criteria are:

- no battery, either kinetic, solar or automatic

- sapphire crystal

- dress watch

- roman numbers, or no numbers at all

- possibly day of the week and  date

Currently I'm orienting towards this seiko kinetic 

SRN071P1_MED.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Not this watch but the table clock (£25_£30) why a. Watch if kept at work 

Seiko

I've looked several orient watches, in my range of price they're all mineral glass which I'd rather avoid. Owned one in the past and scratched very quickly

Have a look at Citizen eco drive titanium dress watches. There are some decent discounts to be had.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Have a look at Citizen eco drive titanium dress watches. There are some decent discounts to be had.

Thanks WRENCH, that's a great suggestion, I saved a few in my research :)

I wouldn't mind some chinese brand, which comes in cheap and apparently quite decent, but my ignorance forbids me to buy them to avoid major disappointment.
Suggestions welcome!

I won't decide for a while, it took me a month to buy my last watch :)

1 minute ago, Varish said:

I saved a few in my research :)

I know you don't want numbers, but this one has been good for me.

large.15806388539784986179164973819175.jpg.5ca184736a4ac77d0e93667f8e364b4a.jpg

and the leather strap is of good quality. I don't know if they're still available, I got mine on an Amazon black Friday sale.

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I know you don't want numbers, but this one has been good for me.

large.15806388539784986179164973819175.jpg.5ca184736a4ac77d0e93667f8e364b4a.jpg

and the leather strap is of good quality. I don't know if they're still available, I got mine on an Amazon black Friday sale.

This is actually pretty good looking! I'm going to save it :D

How much did you pay for it?

32 minutes ago, Varish said:

How much did you pay for it?

Round about £100 from memory. I think they may be discontinued. Here's a black dial one,

https://davidsummerfield.co.uk/collections/mens-citizen/products/citizen-mens-eco-drive-super-titanium-watch-aw0060-03e

And a review.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/citizen-eco-drive-super-titanium-aw0060-watch-review/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Varish said:

Thanks WRENCH, that's a great suggestion, I saved a few in my research :)

I wouldn't mind some chinese brand, which comes in cheap and apparently quite decent, but my ignorance forbids me to buy them to avoid major disappointment.
Suggestions welcome!

I won't decide for a while, it took me a month to buy my last watch :)

Much as I like Eco-Drives, they wouldn't be my first choice for keeping in a drawer, being solar powered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Much as I like Eco-Drives, they wouldn't be my first choice for keeping in a drawer, being solar powered.

I agree, I'd want something that would be ready to go, not need the light of day to get going...:)

1 hour ago, Varish said:

Suggestions welcome!

This Starking is ok, now with the Miyota movement, inexpensive and a nice looking dress watch on the wrist, although you would have to wait approx a month for it to come. I've a few chinese watches and for the money they are fine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000185690816.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.34ec6464QcQwaZ&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=c93137c1-2896-4b3a-ba57-e836275dd1b8

28 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

This Starking is ok, now with the Miyota movement, inexpensive and a nice looking dress watch on the wrist, although you would have to wait approx a month for it to come. I've a few chinese watches and for the money they are fine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000185690816.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.34ec6464QcQwaZ&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=c93137c1-2896-4b3a-ba57-e836275dd1b8

Even with the Chinese movement they are OK, as my Secret Santa watch has proved to be. :laughing2dw: (around +3s/24hrs)

@Varish don't forget to a look at Vostok, or an Orient Bambino.

712HGSvjQTL._UX569_.jpg

The prices on Amazon fluctuate on these, so keep an eye on them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Even with the Chinese movement they are OK, as my Secret Santa watch has proved to be. :laughing2dw: (around +3s/24hrs)

@Varish don't forget to a look at Vostok, or an Orient Bambino.

712HGSvjQTL._UX569_.jpg

The prices on Amazon fluctuate on these, so keep an eye on them. 

Good to know it's doing well. :)

I was going to suggest that Bambino earlier, but he wants to avoid mineral glass, which kinda restricts the choice, loads of cracking inexpensive watches out there without Sapphire, ie orient, Seiko, Citizen etc. I suppose if we knew the upper limit of his budget might help.

Pity this thread wasn't posted a week ago, Aliexpress had a sale on now finished, there was a Reef Tiger watch which would have been a good choice, was only £80 when I got it in a previous sale, now back up to £150.

Thanks everyone :)
I love the bambino look, but I know I'm really not a fan of the mineral glass. Starking looks too good to be true: sapphire glass, hacking.. where's the catch with it?

How about this - I think it ticks all boxes apart from sapphire?  It doesn't specify, but I would presume it's 'Hardlex' so a step up from mineral.

Can be had for £120 on Watch Shop at the moment.  Other colours available

Would look nice on a leather imo :)

SNE363P1

sne363p1-1417109988-7234.jpg

Edited by Stuart2103
Include model number
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

Good to know it's doing well. :)

I was going to suggest that Bambino earlier, but he wants to avoid mineral glass, which kinda restricts the choice, loads of cracking inexpensive watches out there without Sapphire, ie orient, Seiko, Citizen etc. I suppose if we knew the upper limit of his budget might help.

Pity this thread wasn't posted a week ago, Aliexpress had a sale on now finished, there was a Reef Tiger watch which would have been a good choice, was only £80 when I got it in a previous sale, now back up to £150.

Hey Graham! I think 150 would be a max cap, but trying to stay lower if it's possible. A bit hard when it comes with sapphire glass probably. Looking at Reef Tiger now, didn't know the brand!

7 minutes ago, Stuart2103 said:

How about this - I think it ticks all boxes apart from sapphire?  It doesn't specify, but I would presume it's 'Hardlex' so a step up from mineral.

Can be had for £120 on Watch Shop at the moment.  Other colours available

Would look nice on a leather imo :)

sne363p1-1417109988-7234.jpg

that's not a bad one! thank you so much :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Varish said:

Hey Graham! I think 150 would be a max cap, but trying to stay lower if it's possible. A bit hard when it comes with sapphire glass probably. Looking at Reef Tiger now, didn't know the brand!

Reef Tiger are ok, good for the money (sale price), think there are other options at their full retail price though, £150 opens the field a lot more, in the Chinese line you could also look at sea-gull. :)

or here's another Orient, just at the top end of your budget, with Day and Date plus Sapphire Crystal.

https://www.citywatches.co.uk/product/orient-automatic-japan-made-saa05003wb-mens-watch/

This is what I saved so far:

The Seiko Kinetic I linked above. Some website says it's hardlex and some other mineral crystal, so if it's the latter I might just drop it. It's just over £100

Most expensive of the loot. Just over 150, nice, eco-drive, sapphire,  pretty good looking.  - £154
BX1001-11L_MED.jpg

Orient AA05003W, sapphire crystal, hand winding, hacking, nice seiko dialshock  - £122

SAA05003WB_MED.jpg

Another Citizen, titanium and eco-drive, sapphire crystal as well - £130

AW1244-56E_MED.jpg

Yet another Citizen, eco drive and sapphire - £116

BM9010-59E_MED.jpg

Starking automatic, Seiko movement NH36, sapphire crystal - Shocking £60
starking-negocio-relogio-dos-homens-movi

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions :) Starking is actually pretty tempting at that price...

Including this Reef Tiger, with Sapphire as well, at £113

71ivIuFkwpL._AC_UL1200_.jpg