• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

(Why) Is Emporio Armani cheap?

I always regarded the Armani brands as very expensive brands. I recently stumbled upon the watches from Emporio Armani, and they appeared to be quite cheap. The one I want costs about €140. 

Can somebody explain why this watch is so cheap? Was their expensiveness a misconception of mine? 

Links to the AR2434:

https://guama.nl/horloges/emporio-armani-ar2453-heren-horloge/

https://outletuur.nl/product/emporio-armani-ar2453-horloge-2019/

If you think the one in your link is cheap, you should see what they sell for used on ebay... :swoon:

I've had a few in the past, and currently have one left in my collection which I class as a keeper, just because I like it and I doubt it's worth much to anyone else (coincidentally, I'm wearing it today).  Nothing wrong with them as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't pay full price for a new one.  All mine came from ebay, and I don't think any of them were much more than £50-ish, which I think is a bargain.

11 minutes ago, Davey P said:

If you think the one in your link is cheap, you should see what they sell for used on ebay... :swoon:

I've had a few in the past, and currently have one left in my collection which I class as a keeper, just because I like it and I doubt it's worth much to anyone else (coincidentally, I'm wearing it today).  Nothing wrong with them as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't pay full price for a new one.  All mine came from ebay, and I don't think any of them were much more than £50-ish, which I think is a bargain.

I paid full :whistle:price for one for my wife and you're right about the prices on Ebay, £50 is about right.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, ThijsvW said:

Can somebody explain why this watch is so cheap? Was their expensiveness a misconception of mine? 

As somebody has already said. cheap watches with a designer badge 

• Like 1

They are Fashion watches, nothing wrong with them if you like them, often you're paying more for the name than the quality. I think it's the Fossil group that manufactures the watches and they are made in China, which keeps the costs down.

• Like 3

My wife gave me one for Xmas one year. She got it cheap from a friend who worked for fossil. It’s a good looking watch but put it next to some of my other watches that are a similar rrp or less (seiko, bulova, even Parnis) and it’s tough to justify at full price. I will say even though it has a black ‘dlc’ it has stood the test of time and still looks good. So the quality is still pretty ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice here. It's what we call a 'fashion watch'. A watch made by a generic maker, then branded with the fashion house's logo. Some have reasonable movements, some are cheap rubbish but sold at a premium because of the name attached. If it has a Myota movement, it's Citizen based so should be ok. Anything branded Lorus, Pulsar, Credor, Orient or Alba is Seiko based so should also be ok, but these are level entry movements and you shouldn't pay over the odds for them. Do your research.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Good advice here. It's what we call a 'fashion watch'. A watch made by a generic maker, then branded with the fashion house's logo. Some have reasonable movements, some are cheap rubbish but sold at a premium because of the name attached. If it has a Myota movement, it's Citizen based so should be ok. Anything branded Lorus, Pulsar, Credor, Orient or Alba is Seiko based so should also be ok, but these are level entry movements and you shouldn't pay over the odds for them. Do your research.

:sign_what::nono::protest:

Credor is definitely NOT a fashion brand, yes it's owned by Seiko but they are incredibly Haute Horology.

Have a look here for their history and ethos.

https://timelessluxwatches.com/reviews/an-introduction-to-credor/

Certainly no 'entry level' movements used there.

• Thanks 1

I bought this Armani years ago from a bootsale for (I think) £8, It's been an excellent watch and the quality of the case is great!, I've seen some though are really terrible :yes:

I think it has a Ronda Qtz movement inside from memory, I replaced the cell and found the caseback to be curved which made it slightly more difficult to replace!!

wiMRwr8.jpg

tWAwTO7.jpg

CcAJoco.jpg

As ever, It needed one more link to be ultra comfy so I occasionally look on fleabay, I shoukld set a notification thing up on there!!

John :)

• Like 2

Thought I’d post a pic of my AX watch. As I said above it’s a handsome thing and has sentimental value but I hardly ever wear it.
DLC is pretty solid after 9 years or whatever it’s been and it starts right up when I pop the crown in.
Biggest down for me is it’s 48mm which is fine for my monster wrists but the movement is tiny. That date window. Just No. also lume is pretty poor.

ee5dca0ccf11c06af96c691f8b9bf298.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
Il 03/11/2020 alle 16:43, Graham60 ha detto:

Sono orologi di moda, non c'è niente di sbagliato se ti piacciono, spesso paghi di più per il nome che per la qualità. Penso che sia il gruppo Fossil che produce gli orologi e sono fabbricati in Cina, il che mantiene bassi i costi.

Guardate su Dh-gate e trovate tutte le vostre risposte .....