• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
onek00lj4y

Smiths Westminster chime clock

Hi guys, my 1930s smiths Westminster chime clock has started to chime five minutes before it should, its keeping fantastic time just chiming five minutes early,any help would  be greatly appreciated.im thinking do I take the hands off and reset.I did try that but still know joy. 

This usually happens when one tryes to turn hands backwards. Anyway, there is a brass bushing with square hole in the minute hand. The easiest way to solve the problem is to turn the bushing against the hand in needed direction. Hold a square needle file in a vice, string the bushing on the file and force the hand to turn against the bushing.

good show.  as i recall,  " don't turn the clock hands back -in general"   all vintage clocks ?   on my seiko,  automatic watch,  i turned the hands back and it locked up.