• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
John_D

Montine Electronic

I bought this watch on eBay last week. The seller said Have not replaced battery, may work but selling as spares and repairs. 

fEimoMM.jpg

14sUZgD.jpg

I usually take these statements with a pinch of salt, but it looked quite clean even though the crystal was quite badly scratched and it appeared to have the original bracelet (since identified as a VERY expensive Swiss made NSA one:cool:) and with a £22 winning bid looked to be worth a go....

Well it arrived yesterday and from the build up of very old, and dried up, detritus all around the back to case join it was obvious that no one had removed the back for a while (at this point I just hadn't realised how long ago that 'while' was:scared:) . So the seller wasn't telling 'porkies' he hadn't tried a new battery in it:thumbsup:. Not wishing to transfer all of the dirt into the watch on opening I cleaned the outside of the case with a drop of WD40 and an electric toothbrush. I opened the watch and was confronted with a very clean looking ESA 9157 movement, with a battery still in place. At this point I did notice that the designation on the battery, while being made by 'Renata', was one I was not at all familiar with....

ABg2mgU.jpg

On removal there was minimal signs of leakage so I cleaned up the movement contacts with some alcohol and a cotton bud and looked for a similar sized new battery amongst my 'stock' , which fortunately wasn't a problem. On putting the battery in, even prior to attempting to get the top clamp in place to my surprise and delight the balance started up and continued to oscillate:clap:

At this point I clamped up the battery and replaced the back and transferred my attentions to getting the scratches out of the crystal and generally tidying up the case, something that turned out quite nice and all of the time the watch ticked away happily...

RVXgagg.jpg

I was just about to set the time and date when I noticed that the battery that I had removed from the watch, and was still sitting under the bench light had some writing scratched on the -ve end......This is where the mind blowing bit comes in.....apparently the watch maker who had last changed the battery had carefully noted the date that the job was done on the battery itself.....

Mmqhxrz.jpg

That's right, the 16th of April 1982!:scared:, that's 38 bloody years ago!:jawdrop1: (which explains the strange battery number that I didn't recognise).

How the battery hadn't destroyed the watch over the years is a miracle, I can't see any modern Silver Oxide battery being as kind.....

Anyway back to the one bit of bad news about the watch... I set the time with no problems, the watch hacked and the second hand started up immediately the crown was pushed back in, but on pulling the crown back out to the first position, despite every thing turning as expected the date refused to change, there wasn't even any drag to suggest that something was sticking:(. Thinking that there was probably something amiss with the stem, stopping the quick date change from working, I thought that I would set the date the slow way by advancing the hands. Sadly this didn't work either, again no drag around 12 midnight to suggest something jammed or sticking.....

I am resigned now to stripping off the hands and dial to find the problem, but I'm wary about jumping in on an unfamiliar movement without first asserting what the mechanism is like before starting the strip down.

All attempts so far to get any detailed information on how the date change works on the ESA 9157 (or indeed the 9158 day/date version) have failed. The Ranfft picture of the keyless works side of the movement gives no clues as to what delights are lurking under the central cover plate....

FiHBNBb.jpg

Cousins have the 'Communication Technique' (in French) available for down load but while it shows the parts list it isn't obvious how the date change operates.

Vk7AxRi.jpg

I have found the information that I'm looking for , for the' similar' ESA9154, but the date change components (by comparing the two parts lists) appear to be totally different.

Can anyone point me towards the info that I'm looking for. (or even a cheap, electrically defunct movement for spares...)

I like to know where I'm going before starting a 'journey' and I am loath to strip the watch down unprepared, with the possibility of finding something broken (perhaps a tooth missing from the date wheel or a broken tension spring), without having immediate access to the necessary replacement part/parts.....

Edited by John_D
  • Like 2

Hi there,

I don't have a 9157, but on my 9158 the quick date change is achieved by pulling the crown to the middle position and turning clockwise. The slow way works by pulling the crown to the final (time-setting) position and rotating the hand through 24 hours.

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly comforting news, but good luck with fixing yours.

Regards.

7 hours ago, Balaton1109 said:

Hi there,

I don't have a 9157, but on my 9158 the quick date change is achieved by pulling the crown to the middle position and turning clockwise. The slow way works by pulling the crown to the final (time-setting) position and rotating the hand through 24 hours.

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly comforting news, but good luck with fixing yours.

Regards.

Yes I have a 9158 as well and all works as it is supposed to, but unfortunately something is amiss with whatever controls the date advance on this watch.......

I have found one other picture, online, of the keyless works side of the ESA 9157 movement, with the date wheel removed

80J2i4F.jpg

and while I can see the operating lever, directly opposite the stem, that engages with the teeth on the date wheel, again what actually makes that move is buried even deeper in the movement, which would suggest a total strip down of the other side of the movement is needed and I am loath to do that as the balance and electronic part of the watch is set up perfectly and all of that would have to come out......:( The other possibility of course is that the lever is operation but there is a damaged tooth on the date wheel stopping it advancing. I will have to remove the hands and dial to determine that of course...