• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
bdalg1

Montblanc Or Jaeger LeCoultre

I am slowly falling in love with the look of the Montblanc Nicolas Rieussec chronograph

https://www.xupes.com/watches/product-details/23761/montblanc/nicolas-rieussec-chronograph-stainless-steel-106488.html

Has anyone got one and if so is it worth buying? Also, are montblanc watches in general worth looking at - they make some stunning pieces and I understand their in-house movements are very very good.

My other slow burning appreciation is for

https://www.xupes.com/watches/product-details/35055/jaeger-lecoultre/reverso-night-and-day-stainless-steel-278854.html

Again thoughts and reviews are welcome. I own a Jaeger Atmos clock and absolutely love it but I am not sure if this piece is too small for me - I like 40mm plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rectangular or square watches always feel much bigger than their dimensions suggest. 

Mont Blanc I feel is surprisingly impressive for a pen manufacturer and new kid on the block but in terms of history and brand recognition the JLC is head and shoulders above.    They call JLC the watchmakers watchmaker and its probably my favourite manufacturer. 

• Like 2

JLC by a country mile imho.

That WhiteMonty looks like someone left a spanner in there when they put the crystal back on. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chocko said:

JLC a classic, sorry but the Montblanc looks like a toy. 

This^

• Like 1

I'm another that would go with the JLC, beautiful looking watch (wish I had one), the Montblanc on the other hand, just doesn't do it for me, dial looks cluttered, not something I would wear, probably a well made watch but I wouldn't buy it at £399 let alone £3999.

• Like 1

You'll take a bath on the Montblanc if you ever sell. JLC is the way to go I'd say. A classic!

• Like 1

The JLC Night and day is an absolute classic. 

As for the Montblanc i can see the attraction its a great looking watch and they build some incredible high end pieces.

i don't know why buying watches has become all about value retention  we all spend thousand on our hobbies with no return

Buy the one that You like and that suits your needs

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keyring said:

Buy the one that You like and that suits your needs

+1

And just my personal opinion: I'd prefer the Montblanc, even though I might be the only one here. It makes me curious, it's interesting, and at least upon inspection I found they were beautifully made. 

• Like 1

Very similar 'feel' to both but very different watches (chrono vs basic 3 hander - well 6 hander I guess).

Put 'value retention' aside - both will loose you gobs of cash if you want to re-sell anyway, just go with the one you like and think you will wear the most. Personally neither are my cup-of-tea but again that shouldn't be a concern of yours. Technically the MB is streets ahead but the JLC is a stone cold classic. Apples and Oranges really so it's got to be a 'heart' choice and that's totally down to you.

(if someone put a gun to my head and said choose it'd be the JLC but for all the wrong reasons as I'd wear neither).

• Like 1

I believe that Montblanc have really upped their game when it comes to becoming a fully-fledged luxury watch company and they do produce some very fine watches. However, when presented with the choice of the two models you have shortlisted, dear @bdalg1, I think there is no comparison - that JLC is truly beautiful, and a classic of the brand with real heritage, whereas the Montblanc is a bit of an ugly beast. :)

Montblanc took over and resurrected an established atelier and highly skilled workforce. They're not really new kids on the block. Although I recall a conversation in  Hamilton and Inches a few years back, when I asked why they stocked Montblanc pens, but not watches, I got the reply, 'because they are a pen maker!' I felt duly chastised! 

As others have said, buy what you like best. I'm not a fan of the reverso and I can think of other Montblanc's I prefer, but you're the buyer.

Good luck in whatever you decide.  

39 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

that JLC is truly beautiful, and a classic of the brand with real heritage, whereas the Montblanc is a bit of an ugly beast. :)

Just goes to show what varied tastes we all have. I find both watches quite ugly and could not live with those blue hands on the JLC. As I am not the buyer, my opinion counts for nothing and everyone should buy what they like.

I had a Montblanc for a while and it was a very nicely made watch imo. It was just too big for my little wrist and I sold it. The JLC is undoubtedly a classic but depending on your usual daily dress , would it be too smart or do you dress smartly for work etc?

The Montblanc also is a bit more individual. Maybe a “cooler” choice?

JLC for me,its a great looking watch classy has a err....classy thing, i like the blue hands, reminds me of a cartier tank.!

Well imho the JLC is absolutely blooming gorgeous. I’m not personally a fan of that particular Montblanc but to be fair, if I was you, I’d go for the one you personally like after all it’s your money and your wrist.

JLCs are classy and well above Montblanc as a watch brand, but I have two Montblancs and they are beautiful watches - two definite keepers, even for a serial flipper such as me.

Watched a vid on the rejuvenation of mont blanc watches hosted by their head (used to work for another respected watch brand but details escape me).... Some very impressive pieces but I have to say, I'm not feeling the one listed!

Out of curiosity, have you owned any Bremonts yet @GASHEAD?

Yes, I've got a Solo 43 polished, black dial. Awesome watch, defo up there with it's competition such as Breitling.