• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Tudor GMT Date Wheel Issue

Rob.B

I know this has been talked about on numerous forums, and I wasn’t sure that mine actually had the issue. I had my suspicions but because I don’t wear it daily I couldn’t be sure but after wearing it the other day and going into my watch box this morning the evidence is there...lolda37dcc09b66a0723d28ddb1f05f6309.jpg

Been on the phone to ROX in Newcastle and I’ve got to take it in tomorrow morning...

Seems to be a lot of cloak and dagger by Tudor about this issue...Not what you want from a £2790 watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Sad 4

I was really excited when it was announced a few years back as I always wanted a (true) GMT watch, unfortunately funds did not permit me to purchase one at /near launch and then shortages / profiteering meant it was unavailable when I did have the funds. Then the date wheel issue came to light and my interest just dropped through the floor. No way was I going to pay over the odds / wait for ages out of pocket for a watch with an inherent design flaw. There are tales of these being returned to Tudor multiple times after being told they were fixed.

It's an amazing looking watch and for the (RR)Price is a serious bargain and I still have a bit of lust for one but at present it's not even on my radar as a potential purchase.

I sincerely hope you get your piece permanently fixed as it must be utterly frustrating.

Apparently the fault is through over lubrication...I also read that now they are just changing the full movement out, don’t know how true this is though...I was quite relieved after reading about this issue that it wasn’t happening to mine...But now I can categorically say it has...Friday 13th...lol

3 hours ago, Rob.B said:

I know this has been talked about on numerous forums, and I wasn’t sure that mine actually had the issue. I had my suspicions but because I don’t wear it daily I couldn’t be sure but after wearing it the other day and going into my watch box this morning the evidence is there...lolda37dcc09b66a0723d28ddb1f05f6309.jpg

Been on the phone to ROX in Newcastle and I’ve got to take it in tomorrow morning...

Seems to be a lot of cloak and dagger by Tudor about this issue...Not what you want from a £2790 watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any idea on how many watches have found to be faulty ??

This really can only be a mechanical, not a lubrication, problem.  There is some kind mismatch between the torque applied to the date wheel and the mechanism allowing one day stop at a time only.  The fault is either in design, specification or manufacturing of parts.  It may be related to a particular batch of movements, or present in all. 

If they are swapping out whole movements, it might be concluded that modifications have been made that should mean multiple date jumps will not longer be a problem, although if stories of multiple 'fixes' have failed to work, it could be that this is not the case...yet...

Of course only Rolex knows the exactly cause and extent of the problem and it's hardly going to broadcast this to the world.  Having said that, perhaps Tudor operates at greater arms length than we realise and Rolex is not totally on top of the problem.

It's worth knowing that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that any product you buy must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.  Clearly a watch whose date jumps in this way is not fit for purpose.  Such a breach is a problem for the retailer where you bought it.  Quite apart from the warranty, your rights against the retailer can last for up to six years.

I could be wrong but I’m sure you have to give them the chance to fix it rectify twice before you can ask for a refund...I just want it fixing...I really wanted the watch and my girlfriend of 35 years...lol bought it for my 50th birthday. 

Edited by Rob.B

• 1 year later...

My Tudor BB GMT manifested this issue for the first time yesterday.

Was originally purchased in Nov 2019. Not sure when it was manufactured but this challenges the 2019 onwards watches are fixed.

I tried to replicate the issue several times yesterday (setting time and coming back to check date tick over) and couldn't so i'll watch this carefully to see if I can get it to reoccur. I'm not in a rush given there is still 40+ months warranty remaining but assuming it does, it's going straight in.

My Tutor BB 58 Blue is back in Switzerland currently due to a crown issue.

Don't get me wrong. These are great watches and I will not hesitate to buy again (on waiting list for the new BB Chrono) but the 60 month warranty is in my eyes, a valuble feature. 

1 hour ago, antjrice said:

Don't get me wrong. These are great watches and I will not hesitate to buy again (on waiting list for the new BB Chrono) but the 60 month warranty is in my eyes, a valuble feature. 

I would agree with that. Nobody gets it right all the time, and the proof of good service is how the manufacturer deals with it when things go wrong. I had an issue with my Black Bay steel which was turned around in a month, with a special thanks to Hamilton and Inches in Edinburgh. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Forgive my ignorance as i dont understansd all the intricasies of watch movements etc, but having just looked at this thread what was the issue.

At midnight, the date wheel (will sporadically) only advance 0.5 days or (in my case) 1.5 days so the date window displays the bottom half of a day and the top half of the next day.

Edited by antjrice
  • Like 1

Mine has been back it was away for a couple of weeks and all is good in the hood…The date wheel issue has not manifested again…This seemed to be quite a problem for many owners but I cannot fault the AD and Tudor for actually owning up to the issue and fixing it…

• Like 3